Post your pictures of undervalued favorite medals

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by jc888888888, May 2, 2015.

1. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The official mints and non official mints have their own policy. It might change as when the key management changes or change in situation.

As my understand, both official mints and non official mints will mints the balance of the plan mintage if there is market(i.e minimum quantity). This is the same for the Perth Mints Kg lunar bullion. However, China does not state the timeline like Perth mints of stop minting those coins or medals. However, official mints and reputable unofficial mints like century mints will not produce more than the plan mintage in coa.

This concept also apply to panda bullion which no one know their actual mintage. However, panda bullion is minted within one year and no more will mints even there is demand as my understood from china well known collectors.

I have looking for this snake for weeks and unable to find it.

2. avalon

avalon New Member

I remember seeing that Ebay seller Thincat had one a few weeks ago. It may be gone by now.

3. avalon

avalon New Member

A set that seems undervalued is the The Nanjing Mint 2014 brass Guanyu and Cai Bo Xing, mintage of 100 pcs. (Unfortunately, this forum won't let me post images yet.) The set in PF 69 UC was available on Ebay a few days ago for about $230.

4. Razz

Razz Member

Wise words finaly somebody who tells another side of the (medal story ) low mintage seems to be key in the medal business

5. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

The bottom-line is, everyone must decide for themselves what their criteria is for owning and collecting and/or stacking their metals. As I've stated from the outset, and I haven't changed; my bullion stacking coin are the Perth Mint Lunars & Kooks, and 1 oz bullion Pandas. And my go to collection will always be Chinese medals and coins.

I have my own personal list of criteria about what I choose to collect. And yes, for me, low mintage is key - just one key. But there are several other keys too. And if the price is right FOR ME, then I buy. I may buy more than a few, if really like them. I'm buying older medals/coins, as well as newer medals and coins. Keep in mind 'old' chinese medals goes back to about 1980 (by official chinese mints). There is a person named Feng, who designed some of the early year Chinese medals (70's), before the official mints jumped on board.

Everyone should have a check-list to help from being 'overly emotional.' It helped me recently with the mammoth medal. I had my check-list, and at the end of the day, I said, no. Did I like it? Sure. Was it beautiful? Sure. Did it stand out? Sure. But for me, it didn't fill all the criteria, so I walked. I hope I walk away more than I run toward a particular medal. And for those interested in Chinese medals, take a look at some of the older stuff (80's/90's). It may not be mega high relief, but it sure is beautiful in it's simplistic way. And to think some of these were melted down or thrown away or used as door stops....wow!!

I truly wish the best of success to all who venture down this path of stacking and/or collecting. For those who bought the Nanjing Antique Brass/Copper medal for 2.5k. They had their reasons. And if one is, 'I hope it grows in value 'down the road' to 5k, then I hope their wish comes true. I'm not sure if it will happen. Neither do you. Yes, you reading this right now. You have ZERO idea too. hehehe. We don't know if spot will be 10 or 100 in a year or 2 or 3. Hence, we buy based on the list of criteria we've created for ourselves!! And marvel over our purchases...or I do anyway.

6. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

Again very wise words: Criteria

here is mine :
    1) anything i buy I must like:)
    2) I must be able able too see lots of sales history documented ,not a couple of dealers selling a few coins ,but private sellers and buyers establishing true value the old adage of "what someone is willing to pay for something "ebay sales history ,established auction prices etc, not some hyped up price .....I am not knocking anyone here I have been buying Chinese coins for quite a while and have seen the pump and dump schemes before(perfect example Pagoda medals)
    #3 LIQUIDITY if i need to sell I want to own something especially if it is high value that other people readily want and are willing to buy
    #4 I want to own "rare" or hard to find but not obscure

7. jc888888888

Back to the pictures :) you see i love medals :) some more favorites all still obtainable,well the munich pf70 is one of a kind:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. barsenault

Nice JC888888888. You have some choice gems there!

9. barsenault

By the way, I'm not sure how liquid those early year medals were when first released, but now? Forget about it! I'm 'certain' there will be those 'current early year' issues that are not liquid, but down the road, they'll be very liquid! :))). Which ones? God only knows.

10. jc888888888

trivia : the NY expo medal has gotten the nick name "twin towers medal" by some collectors note the great wall and twin towers in the NY skyline of course as everyone know after 9/11 towers are gone ..the medal is very tough to grade in 69 and has recently been pushed higher by demand .

11. madronya

madronya New Member

Both the 1987 New Orleans and New York are on my long-term wish list. I've got the San Francisco from that year, it would be great to have all 3.

12. jc888888888

I have seen the New Orleans in Omp go for as low as 1700/1800 on e bay a few times ,they don't come up often but if you keep a sharp eye they pop up ,in fact the one pictured I purchased for 1750 and had it graded for me that was a good deal:) keep your eyes out :) if you have some patience they do appear good luck! I am actually hunting around for the San Francisco as I don't have it:) I love these gold medals I get a great deal of comfort knowing no matter happens I'm holding a hunk of gold so my downside risk is greatly diminished.

13. andrewlee10

That important for any collection and investments. Good thought.

14. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

PF70 Munich!!!!! Beautiful!!!!

15. andrewlee10

All those are good and rare. It will cost you that you can imagine if you buy it from collectors.

You might get it much more below ebay price if those non-collector inherent from the family and not sure about the market price.

However, still back to the question buyer and seller must meet the price as mmsing comments which I totally agreed.

The collector even might not want to sell it even it is million dollar which is an existing buyer.

Fishing a below value market price is an art. Yennus and Frank Wong did it well if I am not wrong.

However, high value and margin items have many fake in market especially omp. Therefore the fishermen must be skilful.

16. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

barsenault has been buffeted around for the last 24-48 hours regarding the 2014 antique brass and copper pandas. But he keeps on repeating the mantra to invest in only what you understand. Yet he keeps on being hit! Yet what he keeps on repeating is one of the most basic principles for successful investment. I am not here to defend barsenault, and he does not need me to protect him. I am also not here to ask anyone to buy the said panda coins/medals.

The heterogeneity of this MCC forum group is amply demonstrated in the content of their posts. Everyone approaches coin collection differently. Many of you have revealed fantastic mind blowing acquisitions you have made over the years. Problem is that most of the coins and medals you have shown are out of the reach of a beginner or anyone who wants to start assembling or improving on his/her collection from today.

The 2014 Nanjing Pandas can be played in different ways with or without the antique set. barsenault probably has his strategy that makes sense to him. He may already be turning a profit for all I know. Definitely, with his history of acquisitions I won't even sneeze at his current stake in the 2014 Nanjing Pandas. He is also invested in the 2015 panda lunar series 1. Again his investment strategy is clear; he is following a new series from inception. It may pan out for him in which case he wins big time. It may also not pan out that great but he is not likely to lose his shirt.

I accept the unease many have expressed as to how some of the current MCC is being conceived and produced. However, the early years of Panda coin releases were also not that clear cut to many. That is why many coins and medals were thrown away, melted or lost in storage, because a large proportion of people did not appreciate the value of the coins or were too suspicious to capitalize on the opportunities proffered then. In each era there will always be aspects of the business that some may find uneasy.

The 2014 Nanjing Panda medals weight for weight are probably the best deal for 2014 in its class. (OK GUYS, I am going out on a limb here so don't come down on me like a ton of bricks). It beats buying the, how many million minted, 1oz silver panda coin of that year. There has already been great return on the silver and copper medals. The new additions of brass and antique copper and brass medals have given rise to new combinations of medals that can yield a high value 2014 set that breaks price barriers or give you several metal lines to collect individually or in varying combinations.

I think that barsenault makes a lot of sense when he says only to buy these (or any other coin for that matter) if you understand the coin and have a strategy in place.

Written respectfully!

17. jc888888888

I certainly was not beating up on Barsenault ,that was not my intention. and i think he knows that. I was gingerly offering a counter opinion to some beautiful medals that's all .

18. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

I completely accept what you are saying and not I am not necessarily saying he was being beat up; just buffeted. Contrary opinion and cautioning an esteemed member of the forum is also okay. I am just trying to find a medium or in between point where an investor can be a little adventurous without being reckless. Its all in good faith. And I don't know most of the answers too.

19. barsenault

Actually, I find this discussion very helpful. It causes me to take pause on buying decisions, and make sure that I'm heading down the path I've created based on experience, feedback, information, discussion, etc...because the last thing I want to feel is, 'man, I spent 2.6K on my XIE QU set, and now I regret it.' I've never felt a hint of that, even though some around me said, 'don't do it. you're crazy. the price is too high.' I was very clear on my objective, and I bought. And I'm so happy I did. Have the prices come down? I don't know. I don't care. lol. I love the art work. These are keepers. Heck, back a couple of months ago, I was close to getting another set of PF69's for 2.6k. And guess what? I paid the money, and unfortunately the seller got cold feet and refunded my money. But it was at my finger tips. Would I have cried if prices went down to 1K or lower. Nope. I would have bought more. Heck, I would have bought all 99 sets if I could. lol. I think the same concept applies to the Nanjing Two Lovely Pandas. Those who bought that set hopefully feel the same way I do about the XIE. And I believe they do, IF they were clear on their goals and objectives. Thanks everyone for contributing to a healthy discussion, that I feel many are reading and learning from (siliently behind the scenes - IMHO). None of us has all the answers. We share what we feel best, and we hope its' the right decision.

20. andrewlee10

I like the attitude and positive thinking on the MCC thread here.