Post your pictures of undervalued favorite medals

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by jc888888888, May 2, 2015.

1. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

I will start it off :) with 2 the 1989y hk expo 4 years ago $1500+++ now you really can find them for less and my other favorite undervalue brass panda this one is fairly valuable because of the grade rarity
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/3895_img_2228.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/3895_img_2226.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/3895_imag2106.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

2. jc888888888

yes the brass bear is denominated but it is brass :) 1 more these are just cool medals you can discuss value forever some people say worthless ,some people don't, I own them because I like them.
    [​IMG]

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I hope we only get pictures, and not banter and words. just put pictures please.

[​IMG]

4. barsenault

here is another of my favorite. I like both.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. madronya

madronya New Member

I'll try to upload an image here for the first time. 1 oz AG medals usually seen as part of annual gold panda "premium sets". Years 2003, 2005 and 2006.

[​IMG]

6. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Under-valued now -- or over-paid then?

Oops, no banter.

Never mind.. ;)

7. jc888888888

I love the lunar medals !!!!!! Now those are undervalued!!!! think about 1000 sets each year ............ the only time a set is broken up is to grade the coins! many of these medals are lost or treated as tokens many are gone also they are an official China mint product ....these might just be the winner as unrecognized undervalued:) very nice madronya thanks for sharing

8. jc888888888

Since these where produced 25 years ago coin minting technology was quite different ,IMHO needs to be right up there with all the high relief stuff today a work of art for sure..hand made dies unlike some new stuff out there with computer driven lathe cut dies if you can find one they are quite reasonable and i consider them semi rare at least.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. jc888888888

only time will tell :) here is my measure FIND ME 5 FOR SALE and the coin has 1500 mintage ,some of these medals of recent 100 mintage,there are 80 on e bay being sold by the same 3 guys:),I don't know what that means nor do I profess to be that smart when it comes to calling value in the future but what I do know is the coin market is cyclical and just like the stock market ,the time to buy is when everyone is selling cheap as long as the story has not changed folks like Warren buffet can tell you that:) and the story on MCC is much less available inventory than 5 years ago ..very common stuff like lets say 2009 panda 600,000 mintage go try and buy 600 in a box ?????????????? you cant find them. China,s rising wealth is sucking this stuff up and no more are being produced .

10. jc888888888

sorry barsenault could not help myself:)

11. barsenault

lol. JC. And I agree with you about the early year medals. They are my favorites for a lot of reasons, history, hand graved dies, artistry, considered junk, and tossed out, melted, mystery behind mintage amounts, etc...these I will continue to add to my pile. I have a PF69 of the God of War. Sweet medal. Another of my fav is '88 HK.

12. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

PF70 1983 Brass panda!!!!! WOOOOOWW!!!!

13. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The Great Wall proof silver medals from 1982 and 1987 are my first choice of under-valued medals.

Not only are these medals iconic and have possibly the most classic representation of the Great Wall of China depicted on them, have extremely low mintage, rarely ever come up for sale, have a fine strike, are a nice 60mm in size but also they are at the very top of Huang's medal list ( http://modern-chinese-numismatic-in...1/huang-ruiyong-olive-is-one-of-pioneers.html ).

NGC denotes both versions as "1984" because for a long time, apparently there was a lot of mystery about when these medals were produced since there was little documentation found on them. In more recent years, as enthusiasts demanded more info about these amazing medals, it has come to light that they are more likely minted in 1982 and 1987 respectively.

[​IMG]
    1982 Plum Flower ("Heros" spelling error) mirror proof version

[​IMG]
    1982 Beacon Tower mirror proof version

[​IMG]
    NGC census data for above medals

14. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Probably only 9 minted, weight around 1300g and totally awesome. Last one available on eBay was for around 2700$. Considering the weight, rarity and awesomeness under valued.:p

I probably agree with some topic I was reading a while ago, that MCM market is far from "mature".

[​IMG]
    Source: thincat00

15. madronya

madronya New Member

(thanks jc8's)

2014 Singapore International Coin Fair medals.

Maybe not undervalued, but I think under-appreciated. I like them though! Who knows what mint made them, maybe not from China, and sold by Panda America. I collect Panda expo medals, and the little Pandas in the inlays (sun? moon?) caught my attention.

The silver medal is 60 mm, 200g Ag, 250 mintage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This medal monopoly by reputable coin dealer in usa and china. They not release it out. The price is cheap as compare to others.

I did bought one pf68 at very low price.

The same dealer have majority of the 1987 5 oz panda too.

17. andrewlee10

This by century mints of Shanghai. Fully minted as understood from them.

Sold almost 80 % if not wrong.

18. andrewlee10

Some rare and undervalue medal and coins might view as overvalued by some others.

Buyer and seller not easy to close the deal due to different views. Seller want whale price buyer want cheaper.

Someone say the nanjing brass and cooper Matt at usd2500 is whale price. However, lucky sold 3 set Whithin few hours. I have it too. Not ask me my selling price and do I sell any.

Anyone remember the panda expo 1 and 2? Check ebay the sold price for the gold and brass which is about the same mintage like the nanjing panda brass and cooper Matt. You will realise my definition of whale price.

Many coins and medal sit in ebay for years and unsold. The sellers keep listing it and promote it to others in forums and all sell channels. They view as super rare, the asking price is fair and undervalue because 1 or less than 5 are graded as pf/ms70 Only. However it remains unsold years by years due to buyers and sellers gap.

There are too many factors need to take into considerations.

19. mmissinglink

Madronya, I like the term you use, "under-appreciated". I think that there are a number of really nice Chinese medals like the one you posted pics of that are under-appreciated for a couple of reasons; 1) the medals market is still not mature yet (I believe) 2) some buyers have sadly been led to believe by others that only the officially authorized medals by only the official mints are worth buying. This under-appreciation means that medals like the 2012 Snake Dance medal (that Stark posted a pic of) are treated as less-than those "authorized" medals produced by "official" mints that are considerably inferior in design to those unauthorized unofficial medals.

"Value" is subjective....I think we can all understand that. Andrew makes good points about how many times the buyer has one "value" in his mind and the seller has a very different "value" in his mind. When the two values can come together is when you get a sale but that doesn't mean that a medal that hasn't sold in 4 years is necessarily over-valued or that a medal that sells quickly is under-valued. Many factors to take into consideration but for me, the most important is the quality of the design.

20. mmissinglink

I like the reverse side as much as the obverse side of this powerfully appealing medal. I wonder if the Shanghai New Century mint will mint any more of these or if the production has ceased. I also wonder if 9 is still the official mintage number or if any more were minted since I last got confirmation from the mint that 9 of those had been minted.

[​IMG]