Poor Stacker. What to Buy on $20 per week

Discussion in 'Silver' started by errol43, Dec 8, 2010.

1. f40

f40 Member

I personally have plenty of kooks.

I dont have any 50 cents, it would just be nice to add to the stack, especially if i get Auspm to clean then up, those ones looked great!

$20-$30 per week is so small for most people you would not even notice it missing and you would be slowly building your stack at the same time.

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

OOHH OK ,I'll give up 1 of the best spots to pick up small items
    And his on here.Camberwell market Sunday morning,
    Look for Peter Davis in his van next to the Blue market van.
    He always has round 50c's & some gold coins.I bought a 10oz silver bar of him there.

3. 2ds

2ds New Member

Round 50c would be good too, I guess they're giving you more bang for buck than the kook aren't they ?

4. f40

f40 Member

Who said anything about paying 40% over spot, I've picked these up for spot and just a few percent on many occasions :)[/quote]

Well thats great if you can manage to do that :)

5. AU 79 ... 196.97

AU 79 ... 196.97 New Member

Hi errol43,
    did you ever thought on going into scrapgold &-silver bussiness. Iv'e start in that way. Your stack will grow much faster that way.

Only need some month or two's savings and buy you a nice digital scale, some gold & silver testing liquid with some extra money to pay your custamers and a way you go.

There's alotta people that have broken neclises, rings and even some sterling silver lying around and while you busy don't forget to ask them if they don't have any old coins and notes they want to get rid of.

You can start with paying them spot -20%. Here in ZAR i pay Spot -20% for gold and Spot -40% for silver and is still the best price in my region. When selling i get Spot +4% for Au and Ag ... Just a thought, thats the way iv'e started.

Goodluck with your stacking
    Au79

6. Ernster

Ernster New Member

I make $250-300 a month from my websites.

I made $50 in 2 days from online poker

You need to use your imagination and find where the money is..........it aint going to come to you.

7. Agauholic

Agauholic New Member

Gambling? really?

wouldn't it be better in the stock market? ohh wait..

8. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

What type of websites do you run?

malachii

9. f40

f40 Member

Thanks, i will check it out!

10. Ernster

Ernster New Member

Poker is skilled gambling and can only go to 0 if YOU lose, its only dependent on you and not some company stock, but yes both are risky.

I'll take money where ever I can get it....who cares whether its gambling, involves loans or not, nobody is going to reward you for not gambling or doing things the hard way.

11. Ernster

Ernster New Member

Blogs with google adsense.

12. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Cool - I always thought that stuff never worked - bit like Amway or envelope stuffing - lots of hype but no one actually makes anything.

What sort of blogs (if I can ask - tell me to mind my own business if you want)?

malachii

13. SparkySilver

SparkySilver New Member

:) What I would suggest is to buy known silver such as coins with the lowest premium to start with. Make sure that your shipping costs are calculated as part of the premium.
    I know some people don't like Ebay... but there are bargains to be found with silver coins, and some sellers offer free or low cost shipping.
    Over the last two days I purchased wore than $1600. in silver coins at less than spot.
    Don't know if you have any Pawn Shops... I went into one of them on Wednesday and purchased 11 gold rings at 17% below gold spot ( my profit was over $80.00). I Just look for any items that are marked down 50% of their regular price. The clerk said that two other customers purchased about 100 gold rings on Monday, for scrap. This is not silver... but an item that I can resell for a profit to buy silver. I plan to visit two others today. :cool:

14. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Fellow Stackers. I'm sorry that some of you thought I was referring to my present situation. This is not the case, I have been stacking for over 3years and have a wide and varied stack. I apologize to those who gave up some of their time to answer my post thinking it was for me.

What I was trying to do was to help any poor stackers who were coming on board with the view of getting the views of many experienced stackers to help them and urge them on. HOWEVER with all the stackers who gave their opinion I feel sure it will prove beneficial to someone on this site.

Regards Errol43

15. Forge

Forge Member

It was a worthwhile question.

I know I hold a different point of view than most stackers here, but for me, silver is simply a stepping stone to gold. At $20 a week, picking up an ounce a fortnight or half an ounce a week seems like a plan, for the first year. That should leave someone with around a month's costs worth of silver, which is enough to cover unexpected eventualities.

After that, every month or so, get gold. Even at $20 a week, you can still get 1/2oz a year or so. And that adds up over time.

Something else to consider is security. The smaller form of gold is easier to conceal, which when you aren't in a position to be paying someone to store your wealth for you is significant.

16. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

:)

You are right Errol43, good and useful post.
    It applies to the volume of silver bought by myself in at least the last 6 months.

It teaches, saving and it reinforces the belief in this type of saving as i can come back and
    view my 'pile' whenever i like.

better $20pw than nothing.

17. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Another strategy I have used with a small amount of success when buying fractionals or "junk" items, ie pre-dec or world coins, is to look on ebay and oztion under the "buy it now" sections. I couldn't be bothered with the rest of the listings. Find an item you would like to purchase, make an offer to the seller, say - spot price minus postage - or even less if you want, and see how it goes. If that was unsuccessful you get a chance to make another offer at the limit of your range. For me generally, the limit of my range is anything from spot minus postage or even less, up to say 6% premium or generally agreed market price. But my price always takes postage into consideration. I use this strategy to pick up bargains, not to substantially increase stack size. I use dealers for the latter.