Poor old Gerry Harvey

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Blockhead, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

We're all such ungrateful tightarses..

and

2. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah well we hate you more Gerry!

Gerry's a girls name, anyway :)

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

One of those "love it or leave it!" stickers across his pie hole would be appropriate.

Pride is in itself essentially competitive. It is not enough to be rich in it's self, but one must be richer then others

4. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

[​IMG]

5. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Every shrimp feels big in his little pool... until the tide comes in :D

6. petercamperdown

petercamperdown New Member

He never mentions that he lives in Singapore for tax reasons. Another proud Australian. Everytime he is on 2GB in Sydney (his personal cheer squad) all he does is whinge. I mean come on you have to feel sorry for the guy, when is enough not enough?

7. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I think it's another case of misreporting. Gerry is a successful (which doesn't mean likeable) entrepreneur. His comment should be viewed as a castigation of the economic direction in which this country has been steered.

He sounds just like the rest of us when he speaks, the world is frakked (was gonna type fukged but the pelican's net nanny would have piqued :p ) , our gov is frukked, our economy is frakted, he's just pointing out the obvious.

Give him a break, poor reporting.

8. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

maybe Mr Harvey needs to take a good hard long look at himself and realise there is a difference between "needs" and "wants" and gratuitous spending fuels business but kills resources

9. Rubbing Elbows

Rubbing Elbows Active Member

I'm sick of buying his cheap Chinese crap. Who wants to buy something that when making the purchase your offered an extended warranty, so even they're hinting to you that it isn't going to last much longer than 12 months. Maybe sell something decent and I might buy it Gerry

10. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

"Televisions were the biggest offender - prices have dropped so much that we have to sell three times as many TVs to get the same revenue.

"Even white goods and washing machines are 10 per cent cheaper today.

"It has been very difficult. We had good unit sales but we are not getting the revenue."

Unless the poor reporting extends to actually fabricating his spoken words that sounds very much like he's not happy that Australians won't pay more for goods, especially considering the fact that despite the many options there are to buy things cheaper than in his overpriced stores he's STILL getting good sales figures.

11. Nukz

Nukz New Member

I wouldn't be happy with 20 million profit either. Its quite abysmal how many stores does he have in Victoria alone half of them must be taking a loss with that number.

Gerry seems to be struggling as of late to accommodate a changing market and tends to blame shifting trends from a $5000 sofa to a $500 sofa at fantastic furniture on the internet. This is small example but the consumer is cutting back because as Gerry obviously does not know we are more leveraged than our U.S counterparts where even when they where at there peak.

Public debt is out of control in this country and there seems to be at least for the past year some de-leveraging which is healthy and i dont remember a time like this when people where going out buying plasma tv's and non-discretionary items.

I suspect unless Gerry seriously downsizes his business to purely the stores that are making money he may end up filing chapter-11 if the recession deepens anymore. Regardless of what the media is telling us i believe we are already in recession in Melbourne there are lots of empty shops popping up all over the place and the next in line will be the shopping centers.

12. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

Despite a $20.8 million profit jump from last year, Mr Harvey says he was "not happy with the results by a long shot".

poor bugger ...

13. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

agreed. I think the shopping centre rot is already well in place. I have heard that a lot of stores recently are getting reduced and free rents to keep the places looking full.

14. mmm....shiney!

Yeh, so I didn't read the whole article? :/

But anyway, I think the point he is making is, we've got ourselves another boom (if you're working in the better of the two speed economies), so why is everyone scared?

Because we have no faith in our leaders being able to sort this mess out. And you know blocky old boy who'll have to pay for it in the end don't you?

In my living memory (which goes back about 126 cartons of red wine), I can remember 2 booms in Qld. We're currently in one now and we had one abt 10 years ago. My point and gerry's point (I call him Harvs when I play golf with him) is - where has the money gone? Why is everyone scared?

No businessman is stupid enough to go on public record and blame consumers for not spending. We do that privately. We leave it to our political leaders to whinge about the common folk. Remember when salary anne-atkinson got kicked out of the mayorlship in brissie? Bleated like a stuck pig.

15. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

everyone i know is broke. it's a very common story in 2011.

16. mmm....shiney!

Yep, all too true.

But up here we're lucky. :p

You're broke but your neighbour brings home in excess of $100 000 a year for painting little yellow spots on the nuts on conveyor belts that carry coal. It's a safety issue of course.

So the gov says all is good - we've never had it so good.

Gerry says all must be good because the people have never had it so good because the gov says so.

Gerry whinging like a pain the arse (as he probably can be)?

Or gerry telling it like it is?

17. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

I don't know, but I've bought two coffee grinders, of different brands; the first broke down on the first day, went and got an exchange for a different brand, it lasted a few weeks. At that stage I didn't want to go back and get another one from them, I just threw it in the trash. Ended up paying more for a high end one from somewhere else, but it hasn't given any trouble in 3yrs. I could probably grind gravel with it.

Blah-de-blah, you get what you pay for, yeah I know. ;)

18. mmm....shiney!

Know the feeling ag :lol:

But anyway, discussion is not about the crap they sell, it's about gerry's whinge. And I believe he has a point.

19. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Translation:- MORE!MORE! MORE! GIVE ME MORE!!!!!
    My response :-Get real you tosser....some of us have to a} live in the real world and
    b} have to ability to be satisfied by realistic amounts of wealth.
    Again, your a tosser.

20. mmm....shiney!

So you not following my argument ozboy?

That being:

Who is really at fault?
    :)