[POLL]Bring it On, Same Sex Marriage result by xmas

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Court Jester, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Do you Support Changing the marrage act in support of same sex couples.

1. Yes

37.8%
  2. No

62.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

BenKenobi, Silver bullitt and jnkmbx like this.
  2. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, although maybe an end to the marriage act would be better.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  3. Court Jester

I would also like to clarify my position, I am against the marriage act being changed

not denying gay couples the same rights as everyone else but as civil unions not marriage.

4. paranoia

paranoia Member

I have my doubts that the issue will be 'settled' unless it passes, even then I'm not sure... It will put an end to it for this term but does anyone think if Australia votes no those advocating for the change will just move on?

I didn't vote in the poll as I really don't have a strong opinion either way. Those advocating for it are clearly more interested in the symbolism of the matter rather than practicality so civil unions will never be enough. It's not going to affect my marriage. I also don't think it will have as much of an effect on the quality of life for gay couples as those advocating for it believe.

The amount of political capital poured into this issue could have been better spent by the left. Another term or two and they'll have the numbers to pass it without a fight... but where's the fun in that.

This statement gets thrown around a lot. What the media talks about and what is actually going on are different things. Plenty of non-marriage equality lege being debated and passed at the moment I don't think it's having that much of an effect.

Killface likes this.
  5. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Active Member

I'm no Liberal supporter, but they did make a non-core promise to hold a plebiscite, so I would at least like them to stick to that (although I am used to governments not keeping any promises).

I'm voting no to gay marriage. I don't buy the equality argument either.
    As a bonus, some SJWs will be in tears.

6. Bullion Baron

If it literally comes down to the word only (which is not originally Australian and stems from a foreign language), then why would you not support civil unions (or some other legal arrangement providing equal rights) for everyone and each couple can call their commitment whatever they like?

House likes this.
  7. Bullion Baron

This.

It will happen eventually, whether this year, next or 5 years from now, lets just get it done and move on.

[​IMG]

8. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Let the gays and lesbians get married. They have a right to be as miserable as the rest of us. :p

mmm....shiney! and Jim4silver like this.
  9. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No outcome this year I reckon. It is almost a perfect non-issue / distraction for the masses so why call time on it early? The debate is doing it's job.

Once it finally gets over the line then we can argue about polygamy. To oppose polygamy would be decidedly Islamophobic, so we will see similar battle lines. After all, why shouldn't 4 people who love each other very much be able to get married?

Lets not stop until the traditional institutions have been completely decimated by the left. Then we can fully embrace the new PC ideology and institutions and all that it entails.

PS - I actually don't give 2 sh*ts about gay marriage. My point is that it's not what this is really about.

motorbikez, jnkmbx, Skyrocket and 2 others like this.
  10. Court Jester

the poll here says that is wrong. Also, these paid for polls are notoriously inaccurate. The polls showing Trump would never be president or that Brexit could not happen to remember those?

11. Bullion Baron

LOL, dude.

There is a big difference between an unexpected swing within a margin of error and your suggestion that Silver Stackers is an accurate representation of Australian's views at large.

I could dig up other stats, but am sure I would be wasting my time. If you truly believe there are more Australians against (than in support of) allowing same-sex marriage, my suggestion would be to take your poll to a location where you will get a more reasonable cross-section of people, such as a shopping centre, and see for yourself.

P.S. Are you going to answer my question?

l***g likes this.
  12. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think bugged out has the right idea, this isn't about the right to have equal rights but rather changing the legal definition of normal so that people can be persecuted when they refuse to acknowledge a gay marriage. This is all about forcing other peoples abnormal beliefs onto others and the real reason they don't want a plebiscite is because the left know the silent majority doesn't accept it and they need to vocally force their belief through.
    Case in point a gentleman has a lifetime ban traveling with Qantas because he through a pie in the face of a vocal gay marriage activist who used his power to ban the gentleman from flying with multiple airlines for life, not because he is a risk but because of his political beliefs.
    This is how the left suppress public disagreement but making an example of anyone who questions their position. However a secret vote removes their ability to know who to "punish" and they hate that.
    Bring on the vote i say

Silver bullitt likes this.
  13. Bullion Baron

To support your claim that Qantas imposed the ban over his political beliefs (specifically), can you point to anyone else who holds the same beliefs (as Tony Overheu) and was banned from flying as a result, but who didn't physically assault the CEO of the company?

Topherclaus likes this.
  14. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

how does throwing a cream pie in the face of someone lead to a lifetime ban from flying other than the fact that person is the ceo of an airline and used his power to make an example of the person because of his political beliefs
    So now he has made the point that he is capable of imposing a ban on someone unilaterally without any due process not because they are a risk to the airline but because he wants to. If I received a letter from him demanding I do something, like change the law despite having no mandate to do so, I would be considering his power and willingness to abuse his power when making any decision, which is why the liberal party want a plebiscite so they can state, "it is the publics decision not our" when voting on the matter thus avoiding the backlash of an aggressive gay rights movement
    but lets throw your argument back at you, can you show me any other person banned from flying after throwing a pie in the face of another person in support of gay marriage?
    while you are at it can you show me another person charged with assault after throwing a pie in the face of a person, it doesn't happen except when it occurs against a powerful figure who is willing to use his power to get what he wants

15. Court Jester

the plebiscite is an accurate gauge of the Australian public which is why it is the best way forward. I do not take any stock in the paid for polls the MSM media want to show as having support the ACL has just as many polls showing that there is support for the Anti crowd as well.

I do not support changing the marriage act or its definitions when we as a society allow one minority group's force changes to the laws onto the majority like this it is a slippery slope and where will it stop

I believe we can have civil unions and marriage side by side until the time the public is in majority support of the change which is not currently or within the next 5 years.

The plebiscite will fail -- this is the only reason the LGBT community is not wanting it to happen, despite the left propagandist msm telling you otherwise. Trump's election was not a swing within the margin of error all polls before had showed Hillary getting a LANDSLIDE victory in a 2 person race the bookies were offering odds of 6-11: 1 on a Trump victory -- that is not a margin of error.

Pendragon likes this.
  16. Bullion Baron

@serial, if I was a CEO of a company and someone threw a pie into my face in the same fashion I would ban them from my company's services regardless of their political beliefs. Call it abuse of power if you like, I think it is fair and in no way related to his beliefs.

@Court Jester, here are the results from a poll I put up on Twitter less than 20 minutes ago which already has a larger count and isn't tainted in the same way as yours by making the results public:

upload_2017-8-9_12-8-21.png

17. Bullion Baron

:rolleyes: Odds from a bookie are not the same as a poll. Show me a poll where Hillary was leading Trump by more than a few percent just before the election.

18. Court Jester

your kidding right the bookies odds closely follow the polls

https://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/sur...-advantages-across-battlegrounds-final-hours/

Clinton had a 6% margin in the polls on the day before the election -0- that is HUGE in politics

the survey gave Clinton a 96% probability of winning.

19. House

House Administrator Staff Member

Who'd have thought it would waste so much taxpayer money and time...

Voluntary postal plebiscite could cost taxpayers $122 million

Full cost of a plebiscite at $525 million, made up of $160 million for the ballot itself, $66 million to fund the “yes” and “no” cases, and $281 million in lost productivity.

bordsilver and mmm....shiney! like this.
  20. Court Jester

why stop with polygamous people

what about someone wanting to marry their donkey:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...RY-animal.html

or someone wanting to marry an inanimate object like the Eiffel Tower:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...fel-Tower.html

its a slippery slope when we start changing laws for vocal minority groups where will it stop.

motorbikez and Ag bullet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.