Poking my head in

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by bushfaery, May 1, 2011.

1. bushfaery

bushfaery New Member

Hi everyone

I'll say right from the start, I've never studied economics -- in fact didn't even do maths in year 12, which was about 100 years ago -- so my knowledge of how "it" all works is pretty rudimentary, but I'm learning. Things can take a while to sink in with me, so please be patient with me if I say anything really stupid.

I'm self-employed, so almost completely broke. I hope some of you here can appreciate what I'm saying there. I've started buying teeny bits of silver to try and build up a bit of wealth from nothing and achieve even a skerrick of future-proofing. I think I'm doing ok, but my "portfolio" is embarrassingly small, so I'm a bit shy about joining in here.

However, nothing ventured, nothing gained and I think I can learn a lot here, so I'll be doing a fair bit of lurking, I imagine.

I've started with some 1oz Kookaburras and every now and then, I look for scrap pre-46 silver on ebay with very strict rules about the maximum I'm prepared to pay. Very hard for me, as I'm used to indulging my wants and some of those coins are so pretty! My spreadsheet says I'm doing ok with that, but progress is slow. I realise that ebay is not the best option, but as I live regionally, it's about the best I've got. I hope SS will prove better. Mainly what I'm looking for is informed and diverse opinion.

I try to read as much as I can (given limited time), but I think I'm getting to the point where I need to be able to talk about things with like-minded, informed folk. I feel like I'm the only person in my circle of friends and family who recognises the importance of PMs or has even given them a second thought. Things get awkward when I talk about silver, like I'm some idiot who needs to be humoured and conversation briskly moves on.

I'm also interested in gold and in learning how to trade for "free" ounces using coin premiums, gold/silver ratio etc. Hope I didn't just make myself sound like a complete twat then, but I've been reading a few articles that talk about this and it seems a smart way to build wealth to me.

Anyway, you've probably noticed I also talk a lot, but I hope on balance I'm more engaging than boring. See you round the forums, once in a while.

2. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Welcome, what's that icon you have? I like it.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Welcome bushfaery.

Picking up odd lots of silver on eBay is a great way to start on a budget - I did the same for about a year. You can "value add" by sorting odd lots of coins into parcels for resale, e.g. 11x 50% florins make exactly 2oz, so if you can accumulate 55, you've got an even 10oz that you can stack as "10oz" or try trading for a 999 bar etc.

Never be ashamed of the amount you hold - you're better off than 99% of the population who don't hold any. There's no pissing contests here as to who owns the most gold or silver.

4. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

Welcome bushfaery

5. bushfaery

bushfaery New Member

Thanks people!

Dynoman: it's the Five Fingered Hand of Eris. To learn more, you should consult your pineal gland, but if you're not sure how to do that, google will suffice.

6. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1
    Keep in mind that you can gather your real assets about you without needing to 'stack' so to speak. Silver spoons in the coffee jar, silver sugar bowls etc. can sometimes be found super cheap in charity shops and pawn shops. Come the day you need them they will become real wealth. Keep to your 'bargains only' philosophy and you'll do well - there is always another bargain somewhere.

7. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Hey bushfeary you just found a new circle of friends that share your interest

8. bushfaery

bushfaery New Member

So now, if it ever gets awkward, I'll know it's because I'm weird, not because I'm talking about silver.

9. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Weird is good. Welcome aboard!

10. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

This is nostalgic.
    The last time I welcomed a bush fairy of sorts into a forum we got along great.
    She was polish and liked to dance all night to loud music.

But that's a whole other story. :p

Welcome, and take note that you're not the only wierd one here :cool:

11. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

Hello and Welcome :)

12. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Welcome bush fairy

I also started out with buying silver coins on eBay ( i still do !? )

whats your favourite aussie silver coin ( the ones from circulation and fav Kook design ) ?

How much would you pay ( if you wanted to buy ) for a Pamp over a Perth Mint bar over an Ainslee ?

13. phillis

phillis Member

welcome. prepare to lurk everything. im one the 'view new posts' page every 30 minutes, and every time i learn something new :)

14. bushfaery

bushfaery New Member

jnkmbx: I'm not Polish, but I have danced all night to loud music a few times in my mis-spent youth... cut the mid range, drop the bass...

THUCYDIDES79: The only Kookaburra I've seen "in the flesh" is the 2011 coin. I was more impressed than I thought I would be with its quality. Preeetteeee. As for circulation coins, I'm only really interested in their scrap value, so haven't paid much attention to their design. I seem to get the best deals on sixpences (given that I can only afford to buy small lots), so that's what I have most of. I really want to get some cute little 3p, but they're always to exxy. I have no idea how to answer your last question. I'm off to do some research!

*eta -- ok, answer to your last question: I don't know. I'm still blundering about trying to work out what is an acceptable margin above spot for both coins and bars. I chose the dealer I used for my Kooks because I liked the additional information about PMs they provided and their after-market service. They are neither the cheapest nor the most expensive, but seemed the most professional and they lived up to that impression. As I live regionally and I imagine my purchases pass through many hands before they get to me, I want the confidence of knowing I'll get my money back if they disappear, so I'll pay a bit more for that security. They're also in the same state, so I liked the idea of keeping the distance travelling to me to a minimum.

I don't quite understand why someone would pay more for a PAMP product than a Perth Mint product, so I'd be interested to learn that. Is it just a beauty thing? Or is there actually a measurable difference in value? I don't quite get why you'd pay more for a bar because it looks pretty. Coins, I understand, but bars... seems pointless. I think it's pretty obvious that an Ainslie should be cheaper, but what sort of premium is reasonable for a PAMP or Perth Mint product, I'm not sure.*

Thanks for your welcomes, everyone!

15. Silver Natural 9

Silver Natural 9 New Member

Welcome bushfaery.
    Good fortune in your silver hunting. There are still plenty of bargins out there.