Please help if you can

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Oldsoul, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Folks,

There is a seller on Ebay called petercaveman who is openly selling fake plated versions of US eagles, Morgans, Maples etc.

Ebay Item Ids

I keep reporting this items to ebay and emailing them and they do nothing.

E.g fake silver plate Maples
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1oz-Silver-C...=UK_Coins_Bullion_Bars_SM&hash=item3ce2aec7c8

Fake Mexican, Canadian and US
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1oz-Silver-C...=UK_Coins_Bullion_Bars_SM&hash=item3ce2aedf00

Please help if you can as Ebay facilitating the distribution of these counterfeits is undermining all our investmenst in these bullion coins.

All of the sellers coins are silver fake plated versions of coins you stack. Please help to have ebay remove this eller by reporting these items.

Thanks

2. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

I wouldn't click on any of the links

3. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

How many accounts do you have here??? Why create a new account to say the same thing.

4. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

OS you open an account here, just to tell us this :rolleyes:

5. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

This was my first post I just registered. I often read the forum but have never posted previously. I'm very annoyed with Ebays complete failure to make any attempt to apply their own 'policy' and openly facilitate the selling of fake plate bullion coings and hoped that additional reports on the items might result in action.

Why do you think it was me posting previously (I had no idea this had ever been posted before!?)

6. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

7. Golden ChipMunk

Stop buying those fake coins then.

Welcome to the forum & enjoy the roller coaster.

8. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Thanks for the welcome.

I will not be buying them. However there is a small physical market in Ireland and the circulation of these fakes destroys any value in holding real bullion coins.

9. Golden ChipMunk

There is a thread here that members are at detectives works knocking those fakes stuffs.
    Thanks for yours concern.

10. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Well I hope you won't complain if you wind up with one of this sellers fake pieces at some point via resellers, after all you may and by not reporting the items they stay available for sale and in circulation:

"
    For Resellers And Collector

6 American Morgan Dollar Coins
    I don't sell coins in ones or twos

A Total of 6 Coins

Please Do Not Bid On These Coins Thinking There solid Silver
    But these coins are beautifully
    Plated with .999 Silver and look much better than in the photos

Beautiful crafted coins
    A great display set of coins for collectors.

1oz x 6 (silver clad)

Weight 1oz approximately

Diameter 40mm x 3mm Approximately

These coins are plated with .999 Silver

"

Or

"A Total of 42 coins

For Resellers

Please Do Not Bid On These Coins Thinking There solid Silver

But these coins are beautifully Plated with .999 Silver Coins.

6 Mexican Libertad
    6 Maple leafs
    6 American Eagles
    6 Australian Year of the Horse
    6 Knights Templar Black
    6 Knights Templar Green
    6 Knights Templar Red

Beautiful crafted coins
    A great display set of coins for collectors.

1oz x 42 Coins

Weight 1oz approximately

All coins Diameter 40mm approximately except for
    Maple Leaf 1oz approximately
    Diameter 38mm
    "

11. anighttrader

anighttrader Member

You should read the auction narrative. These are not fake coins, they are silver plated coins and the seller states this in the auction. Therefore, he is not misleading anyone and there is nothing eBay can do. If he was trying to pass these coins as solid pure silver it would be a different story but that is clearly not the case.

12. Miloman

Actually they are fake and counterfeit. They are illegal despite the description saying they are plated and are not real.

I'm talking about the legal tender coins.

Ebay may be considered an accessory.

13. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Not true - these are counterfeits of 2013 Silber maples, Eagles etc. They are plain illegal selling them is illegal in Ireland and obviously distributing them is a serious crime in both the USA and Canada etc.

From the US Mint

"The United States Mint is aware of recent reports that some companies in China are producing unmarked imitations of pre-1950 United States coins and are selling them on-line. This practice not only exploits unwary consumers and collectors, but also may violate Federal law. Both consumers and coin collectors should be aware of this practice and should exercise vigilance and good judgment when purchasing pre-1950 coins.

The Hobby Protection Act (15 U.S.C. 21012106) outlaws manufacturing or importing imitation numismatic items unless they are marked in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). Specifically, any such imitation numismatic item intended to be introduced or distributed in commerce must be plainly and permanently marked "copy." To read the FTC's 1998 Consumer Alert on Investing in Rare Coins, visit the Better Business Bureau's webpage, http://www.bbb.org/us/article/4740.

In addition, these imitation coins may violate Federal counterfeiting laws (18 U.S.C. 485, 489 & 490). The United States Mint has no Federal criminal enforcement authority. Rather, it refers such matters to the United States Secret Service, which is lawfully authorized to detect and arrest any person who violates any Federal law relating to United States coinage (18 U.S.C. 3056(b)(2)). For more information on counterfeit coins, visit the United States Secret Service's webpage, http://www.secretservice.gov/money_coins.shtml. "

14. Miloman

100% correct.

15. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Ebay and the rest of the entire known world are drowning in a flood of plated crap. Nothing new here.
    Search gold or silver bars or coins at http://www.aliexpress.com or http://www.alibaba.com Welcome to reality.

If you do truly believe that the plated crap "...destroys any value in holding real bullion..." then don't hold any real bullion.

16. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Thank you. It's amazing that Ebay is openly selling counterfeit US and Canadian currency and ignoring reports and emails reporting the items and asking them to remove them that they just ignore.

If anyone has contacts at the mints please pass on this information. Ebay Ireland is fully informed that these are counterfeit and illegal and I would be please to provide details illustrating that Ebay were made fully aware that may assist in prosecution.

17. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Given that Ebays HQ is in California and that counterfeit currency is a secret service territory crime - I think there is a bit of a difference. Alibaba is outside the authorities reach.

It's also fair to say that most of these are likely to be relisted on ebay and used to rip off small buyers who may unknowingly pass them on.

The point is then - are bullion coins a worthless investment?

18. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Indeed. High premium antique tablewear may be a better way of holding physical silver. It's difficult to see what value a silver eagle or maple has on resale - even an honest seller might pass one on without knowing it. I'd certainly never buy any of this bullion coins again.

No two ways about it - ebay not removing these listings is incredibly damaging to anyone who has the genuine solid silver versions of these bullion coins. It rapes their resale value.

19. Miloman

No.

And before you enter into a long explanation about how it undermines bullion and how to determine fakes etc. I think bullion coins when real are very worthwhile.

Throughout history there have always been fakes.

Good luck on your quest. You are right.

BTW my theory is that authorities want people to stop buying silver and are allowing these fakes to trigger your exact response.

20. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

Indeed there have always been counterfeiting and historically it was considered a serious crime. Now that it is effectively legalised via Ebay and given the massive increase in scale and the effect of distribution how long before buyers turn their backs on Eagles that people actually bough from the US mint when they come up for resale.

I find your theory interesting. Is it in fact the Chinese who are deliberately facilitating the destruction of PM hoarding in western nations?

You can bet that the Chinese authorities would deal with the counterfeiting of their own currency and distribution of it within China via a bullet to the head.

I don't believe for one minute the Chinese government could not turn off this trade and manufacturing within weeks if they wanted to.

Maybe that is what all the gold and silver they bought is used for :) Plating counterfeits.