[PICS] Lunar Skulls - Year of the Goat

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Feb 20, 2015.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I agree missing, they may go up again, and surpass 225 or higher. My money says no, but who knows, right? 500 mintage is still a fair amount as we both know dealing with Chinese medals. If was 99 mintage or 199 mintage, then perhaps. I say monkey or no monkey, prices don't get too crazy. Just my wild arse guess. And I did place my bets accordingly. :)

2. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I don't recall anybody giving you a hard time on that move, heh. At least not publicly that I saw.

I toyed with selling one of mine back then, too. I noted at the time that it was either a short-term flip, or a long-term play on the series -- with the middle being lumpy & volatile.

In the end, this is has only been out for, what, 7 months now? It's now in the lumpy middle phase.

This is a 12-year series.

Would it have been appropriate to judge, for example, the 1st-year Perth Lunar Series 1 proof during its first year?

Perhaps it's not a perfect comparision, but what else is there to compare it to?

Obviously a fair amount is riding on the Monkey's design & smooth release.

But even if it's not spectacular, I personally woudn't start getting concerned unless the 2nd, 3rd & 4th of the series was garbage.

12 years is a long time.

Anyway, since we're discussing premiums, I certainly wouldn't mind picking up some 300g Ag World Heritage's at a few bucks over spot. ;)

But I don't see Lunar Skull proofs selling for below issue price. Perhaps a few BU's, when including shipping.. But at 2K mintage, obviously there are relatively more available being sold by different people for different reasons, and probably won't always command top price. You could say the same for many issues, really.

Looking forward to the Monkey! :cool:

3. barsenault

Yoooooooooo Gatito! What up dude? I put 'hard time' in quotes...it was more of a tongue and cheek thing. Some did say, 'man, I think you are selling too early, this may go up to 300 or beyond...' But not a hard time in, 'dude, what are you doing, are you a fool???' LOL. You actually were like go for it. See what you can get. I ended up doing okay. :)

Oh, and I can't wait for the monkey either...maybe another double in profit in the making??? hehehe.

4. Gatito Bandito

Eh, really depends on the design & quality, a smooth release, and pricing. If SM gets too greedy on that last one, there goes any decent flip -- which could sour demand for future releases.

Also depends on how many flippers vs collectors grab them. Too many flippers in the mix, and it could flop.. Seen it happen too many times, with a huge secondary supply flooding the market early on, all at once, driving down the price, trying to leap-frog below their competitors.

Of course, the Monkey may re-new some vigor into the market for the Goat -- and probably around the time of each subsequent release, as well, building upon past issues.

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

"Hey hey, where's the monkeys?" (sung to the track "Hey, hey, we're the Monkees") :)

6. o-to

o-to Member

Their are "issues" with this series that I can see:

- biggest of all is the timing: tiger, dragon, snake and horses have "just" passed and we need to wait a long time before seeing them again. They are the more popular signs. Upcoming are: Monkey, Rooster, Pig, Dog (kind of popular) but then Pig, Rat and Ox...

- market has gone mad with the first release and has attracted a lot of flippers, which is never good

- this true innovation (skulls!) has been copied and will continue to be... until people loose interest. When people will be tired of skulls, well, this series might be dead

Some hopes now:

- Great design and quality

- Current "crash" re market price can make sick some flippers who have lost money on it

- Mintage is low for a 1 ounce round and the best thing for "goat value" would be an increase of this mintage for future releases

- For people who are patient and if the series doesn't stop due to lack of interest, when the time of popular signs comes back these might be killers! And people will want to complete the series with the stupid first goat release 10 years ago!

7. Gatito Bandito

All good points, but I want to touch on this..

This was discussed in another thread months ago..

If you Google some animal skull photos, one would probably be "pleasantly surprised" at how cool some of them are, including those mentioned like: monkey, rooster, dog, rat & ox.

Of course, the others, too (dragon, snake, etc.) -- except maybe: pig & rabbit. Not sure how those would turn out. (Just going by memory.)

But the rest, I think have great potential. Really up to the artist & the mint to deliver.

Judging by the Lunar Goat Skull & some of their Zodiac rounds, I've got some faith! :)

8. o-to

o-to Member

Hey guys,

Any news on the monkey release? Like at all??

Cheers!

9. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Hmmm that would be a good question... :lol:

10. jazzy988

jazzy988 Member

If I remember correctly, the seller had committed that those who buy the goat skull would have first priority to buy the next coin. Anyone else remembers that ?

11. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I don't recall hearing that but the SM Mint will probably be focusing their efforts on the Memento Mori Zodiac Skulls series, not the Lunar Skulls series....at least until after all production on the Zodiac Skulls has ceased. That's my guess.

On my low budget, I'm actually glad that the Zodiac Skulls have not been released 1 set every month. The staggered releases gives me time to save up for these wonderfully designed and sculpted/minted medals.

12. barsenault

13. natsmezz

natsmezz Member

If I remember correctly the goat skull was tattoo artwork already completed and simply translated to the coin - not an original artwork commissioned by Sm. I could be wrong about that but that's my recollection. Wonder if the goat skull artist has it in him do a monkey skull, sure he never did one of those for a tattoo.

14. Luker

Luker Member

15. Razz

Razz Member

I wonder why the last time this topic about the skull coins was closed on this forum ,its a strange happening anybody got a explanation for that action.

16. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Yea that too, it was weird we never got any info on why, except for they were looking into some things if I remember correctly. I'm glad there not stringing people who out on a presale this year! Maybe I will continue the skull series...