Picked Up A Snake, Goat, Pig, Rat, And Ox Silver Coins

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Diablo21, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

After receiving a few 2011 year of the rabbit coins, I was in love and started my search for more coins from previous years. Was at the coin shop and picked up 5 coins, I probably paid a bit too much for them, and after I got home I started to do some research (I work backwards ;)). Anyways, the rabbit coin had the words "Year of the Rabbit" inscribed on the back but none of the ones I got today had "Year of the ...". Did I not buy lunar coins? If not, what did I buy? Are there different types? Pictures below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What's the difference between the coins I got and these below:

http://www.perthmint.com.au/catalog...-ox-silver-proof-coin-issue-silver-coins.aspx
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-AUSTRALIA-...156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c71feafc

What am I missing?

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

You scored, that's what :)

Those are Series One 1oz bullion lunar coins, not the current Series Two - older and fewer, e.g ~52,000 Ox in Series One as opposed to 300,000 of each coin so far in Series Two.

3. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Yeah you did very well, you would have plenty of us here interested in swaps, hint ;)

4. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

Dayum!!! Woot woot!

There was a 70 year old man at the store and I talked to him for a bit, he said I was a very smart boy for buying silver (before I bought the coins). He told me he bought a sovereign back in the day for $10.

Anyways, how much are these worth?

5. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Snake ---> $80
    Pig -----> $70
    Goat -----> $70
    Ox --------> $70
    Rat -------> $70

You might get +- $10 on those prices depending on where and how you can try to sell them.

6. goldilox

goldilox Member Silver Stacker

nice pics!

7. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

Thanks guys for all the info.

I was at the shop and only the snake had a price of $49.95 on it and when the kid grabbed it, he said that's not the right price, it should be $65 - 70. I said no way, I'm not paying more than that and he said fine (for all 5 coins) but then said let me call the other store, I'll get in trouble if I sell them for less. The other store told him he had to charge me 65 - 70 for them, I said I'm going to post about them on a major forum and the kid said fine, I can have the snake for 49.95 and 65 for the rest. So I picked them all up, would've been a sweet deal if I could get all of them at 49.95 but oh well.

I'm going to their other store, should I pick some more up at $65 if they have any? The guy said these have been sitting in the store for months @65 each, he said they haven't been raising prices with spot.

8. silversardine

silversardine Member

Buy them, buy them!

Check Series 1 listings on ebay. Most are over $80 bidding if not over $100 BINs. If you have some spare dollars go for it!

9. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

Ok, I'll go to the store in a bit. Hopefully they have some, even if I don't want them, there are plenty of guys on here that are already interested in what I picked up yesterday.

10. silversardine

silversardine Member

Good luck! Don't think you could go to far wrong with that price. :)

11. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

Nice work. You might be able to get them in doubles and then u could trade one set at 2 to 1! Killin it!

12. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

I went to their bigger store and was surprised to find quite a few of each of the following: Horse, Rat, Pig, Bull, Dog, and Tiger (2010 series I), the tigers are $98 each and the rest are priced from 55 - 75, I'll have to double check with them when I go back. So if someone wants them, let me know, I'll pick some up.

As for what I picked up, below are the pictures (picked up the last 2 rabbits for 75 each and last rooster for 55).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just noticed "P100" on the rabbits, does that have any significance? I really wanted the tigers but $98 seemed a bit high, they have around 20 - 30 remaining. All 6 coins cost $395 CAD, how did I do? I ask because my brother wants a piece of the action too, should I pick up everything the store has for these prices for him (and of course some more for me ;))?

13. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

1999 was the 100th anniversary of the Perth Mint, hence the P100 mint mark.

14. Matthew 26:14

They are nice coins but the motherload would be if you can find any 2000 Dragons at those prices. And don't get too carried away with the prices you see on feebay, remember you need to take about 10% off the prices you see to cover feebay fees and paypal fees should you want to sell.

15. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

Yeah, I know about those damn fees. I'm not planning on selling these, these ones are only a small part of my stash and are more of collectible items. Now I just need to find a dragon and a monkey.

16. silversardine

silversardine Member

There are some threads on here about Lunar 1 and the popularity v mintages of each. Dragons are most pop despite the high mintage. But tigers and ox are quite low mintage probably because they were released to wrap up the series in the same year, and also just not as pretty. They have jumped up quite a bit in the last 12 months as people realised they were possibly sleepers in terms of value.

ongratulations on a good find! :)

17. Matthew 26:14

Just like in the RAM Kangaroos from 2007 and 2008. They had only about 6,000 or 7,000 mintage each and every other year 20,000 +. The result being I got my 2007 and 2008 roo's at about $50 a year ago but now the 2007 is like $250 due to its rarity compared to other years. In a long running series, finding a year with a significantly lower mintage but selling at about the price of every other year in the series is a no brainer.

18. silversardine

silversardine Member

Just a thought - are they in capsules or loose - maybe just for pics. You could argue a few more dollars off for lack of preservation via capsule!

And, you asked about buying more....I'm pretty sure you'd easily be able to move them on here if you did. See if you can make up a couple of sets - less the dragons at this stage of course.

I can't seem to get the copy the link, but if you search Perth mint bullion mintages you should come to a list of all the mintages - towards the end of the list is the silver series 1 mintages on pdf. Check it out for yourself and you can decide what you'd like to buy more of.

19. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

Will check out the Perth mint site, thanks. As for capsules, I took them off for pictures.

20. Szag

Szag Member Silver Stacker

Don't tell Lunartic. He'll have conniptions over this mother load.