Perth Mint Sovereigns

Discussion in 'Sovereigns' started by Elemental, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

Searching for information about these beautiful coins is what led me to this site nearly a year ago now. My original plan was to assemble a Perth Mint mark set of sovereigns. Over the last year I got side tracked into lunars, stacking silver and gold and other Perth mint coins.

I'm ready to turn my attention back to my original goal and put this set together.

I'm not too sure if they will ultimately form part of the Perth Mint Sovereign set but I have got a 1999 Bi-Metal, 2005 sovereign (came with a book - its a replica of the Sydney sov but with a P mint mark), 2009, 2010 and 2011 Perth Mint Sovereigns.

The above is all I have so if anyone comes across any P mint mark sovs, or has any they are looking to unload then please shoot me a PM. My current financial circumstances will probably allow me to pick up 1 sov a month. I will be looking at higher grades MS61s or there abouts for most of the non key date coins and work my way up to those (trading up over time) for the key dates.

My question:
    I've got my eye on an eBay 1899 that looks quite nice. Where do you think this would fall? AU55, higher or lower? And also, what's a fair price

eBay number 320834757918

Any help much appreciated.

2. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Putting a collection together is all about patient. You have to buy what is available for a good price at the time instead of picking dates.
    Close to $900 this coins seems expensive. Loos like a EF coin. Just like this sold for $417. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1899-Per...80767572414?pt=AU_Bullion&hash=item2a169641be
    For an unc 61 and up on ebay auction you are looking for between 750- 1275 (can be cheaper with some luck)

3. Mohur

Mohur New Member

Good advice... you just have to go with what's available for the best price and keep an eye out for the particular coins your after, unless money is no object.

4. Elemental

Thanks for the advice - it would seem I need plenty of practice on grading. This looked better than EF to me.

Thanks!

5. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Fill a room with Sovereigns collectors and you are sure to get at least three different gradings for the same coin.
    If you were taught by a dealer; you would always grade higher whereas if taught by a collector you would be a more conservative grader.
    I have had a good look at the Roxbury coin and I just can't see how they can justify an EF grade for their coin
    The reverse might get away with EF however the obverse would grade gVF if lucky.
    Couple that with poor mint lustre, rim knicks and other detracting marks and if I was selling that coin, I would be very reticent to grade it above gVF
    I think the British dealer graded his coin correctly when he rated it gVF
    Have to agree that $900 is a bit pricey for that grade.

6. Elemental

Thanks Steve. What's the Bluesheet (or other estimate) for gVF 1899?

Cheers

7. projack

The pictures is not very sharp on the Roxbury coin but I give them the EF because they are experienced graders but EF-aU seemed too high and do not forget that the 1899-P are mostly very poorly struck issues

8. Aurora et luna

Sorry Elemental, I don't subscribe to the Bluesheet.
    There is a huge range in prices between what a collector will pay and what a dealer wants you to pay.
    Depends on how desperate you are to complete a collection.
    I wouldn't sell one for $417.60 but that's what the market valued it in December.
    Would that price be included in the Bluesheet; I doubt it. Whoever bought that coin got a bargain.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1899-Per...80767572414?pt=AU_Bullion&hash=item2a169641be

9. Elemental

I agree that $417.60 is a bargain. Thanks for all of the input - much appreciated

Cheers

10. Aurora et luna

As I said earlier put three Sovereign collectors in the same room and you will get 3 different grades. :)
    The coin dealer always grades much high than the collector.
    I am always too picky about minor details.
    I think I place too much emphasis on rim nicks, detracting marks and lustre when I try to grade a coin.
    Would love you to grade my collection as I think I have undergraded all of them.

11. Elemental

I've put in an offer - if I get lucky I might be able to give you close up images.

12. Aurora et luna

I own an English and Melbourne Mint 1899 Sov.
    Haven't found a nice PM for a decent price at this stage.
    These coins would probably only grade VG and F
    Worth maybe $420 each

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. projack

Take a look how much is the different in some cases between MS61-MS62 or MS62-MS63.
    On the 1894M, MS62 just hardly $100 above melt value on MS63 you pay over $850 plus spot.
    Note on 1893S the difference form MS61-MS62 yet both regarded as UNC

[​IMG]