Perth mint new releases

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by happycrank, May 3, 2011.

1. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

the tassie tiger hasn't quite been performing to everyone's expectations, the panda coin has the right elements to be a runaway hit but these novelty perth mint coins are mostly a waste of time and money. I think the redback was a one off anomaly and speculators keep ramping up demand for new issues by stockpiling them thinking they're gonna go large and creating false demand that doesn't hold up in aftermarket sales down the track. $115 is nuts.

2. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

I looked at the panda and wanted one, but price is too high IMO.

3. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

The Redback, like 1 coin in 100 right? Roman Legionary, Naval Battles, Famous Battles, WW2 Tanks, Working Dogs etc etc.... All at or below issue price. Not many of these coins rise above their issue price and if they do its not by much.

Your betting against the odds buying these coloured coins IMHO. And at like $115 a go..... no thank-you.

4. Aust-Tech

Aust-Tech New Member

My apologies Matt :)

edit: They did have it there under "About this series"
    This first fabulous release in the series celebrates the Santa Maria and the voyage of explorer Christopher Columbus to the Americas. Struck from 1oz of 99.9% pure silver in proof quality, the coin is issued as legal tender under the authority of the Government of Tuvalu.

Forthcoming Releases: Golden Hind, Mayflower, USS Constitution, Cutty Sark

+1 on the pass @ $115

before we know it the AlBr coins will be $50 retail!

I'm sticking to stacking my stocking (or is it sticking to stocking my stacking)...lol

5. Matthew 26:14

True I see that now about the upcoming coins. A few pics on their site wouldnt go astray so people could decide if they want the series or not. Its a pretty obscure type of thing to be making coins out of. And to be honest, these coloured silver coins, mintage 5,000 are becoming quite regular from the mint and there's no shortage of supply.

But I guess it makes good money, $110 or so each x 5,000 = $511,000 in net sales for the mint...... on silver worth about $200,000 @ spot.

6. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

If they go extinct will the premium increase? Sorry not a greeny

7. kaz

kaz New Member Silver Stacker

Would like to have seen an Australian endangered animal. Guess we are too small on the world stage of endangered animals.

8. silversardine

silversardine Member

Don't think we are too small on the world scale - but many are represented on many other coins. And many of the Australian ones would not be instantly recognisable around the world once you get past the iconic ones. This is also Coin Club commissioned, from what I can see, so it provides global reach I guess. And speaking of small, the animals represented are all quite large compared to what we have on offer!

9. Matthew 26:14

When's the "extinct" series going to continue? Tasmanian Tiger only one so far....

10. Skyblues

Skyblues Member

yea I cant justify the premiums as well...proofs is not a game I wanna play unless I fall into one because of sentimental reasons...

naval one looks good though, would be interested in hearing about the importance of these ships actually...USS Constitution in the series has the potential to make the series interesting...

And about the koala, I guess all koala mamas put on pink make up on their babies, cant stand looking at it, Perth Mint should let a male design koalas I think...

11. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Oooh Pandas are very nice. They'll be a great investment IMHO. Only thing is the premium. $112 is way too hefty for me. I'll stick with the Chinese version.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ebay & paypal will probably make more on sale commissions over time the rate they change hands at. I still hold hope for the Tassie tiger tho .

13. happycrank

happycrank Member

14. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

15. topend

topend New Member

Nice touch.

16. happycrank

happycrank Member

17. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If I wanted a picture of a Panda I could get one for less than $100

If I want a silver coin I could get one for less than $100.

I guess if I want a picture of a Panda on a coin I am going to have to pay over $100.
    Good job I don't want a picture of a panda on a coin.

Each to their own I guess but the only colourised coin I find to be even slightly interesting is the Canadian 2004 Poppy quater, the spy coin http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270413,00.html

It isn't even the coin that is interesting, just the story attached to it. And it is well under $100.

18. kingzac

kingzac New Member

I was pressured into buying the Koala by my girlfriend today, he is pretty cute though, wouldn't mind one of the Kangaroos from the series but its hard to find one for a decent price now.

Quick question for anyone, I usually buy from other stores but have two orders now with the Perth Mint, one for a FIFA world cup coin (put off for ages but had to buy for my nostalgia of being there) and now the Koala.
    I ordered the FIFA coin on the 23rd of April and it still hasn't been sent, rang yesterday and was told its a combination of it taking a few days for the money to come through and them being busy, but come on surely they can handle a bit of business it has been 8 business days since my order.
    Can someone tell me how long it typically takes the Perth Mint to get around to doing something?

19. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

20. kaz

kaz New Member Silver Stacker

This is one talented lady imho