Perth Mint marketing rather than fixing the problem

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Ronnie 666, Jan 11, 2017.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

2. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Got a good laugh out of that ebay listing! :D

Should have been posted in the JOTD thread

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

whew. glad I'm not buying Perth coins any longer. Whew. That is some serious poop on that turd. That thing should get below spot. Amazing. Simply amazing. And frightening. Very very frightening. Why frightening? because if you paid a premium on that coin, and you go to sell it down the road, your premium is gone, and you are lucky to get melt for a piece of crap like that. And that was from 2011!! I'm sure quality has gotten even worse since then. No thanks. It really does suck that our choices for semi-numi coins are getting limited. For me, it may come down to cheap govt bullion when buying silver (eagles and maples) and chinese collectibles, and gold. I'm not sure if this person had the slab in his basement, where moisture was constantly breathed on this thing...but regardless, this is unacceptable. Heck, there are pieces that are 2000 years old that are dug up from the earth today that look better than that turd.

4. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

I have many graded coins where that has happened. Just like that. It is not due to poor storage since the coins that have it happen are sitting right next to others that don't have it happen. Coin storage bags inside coin storage boxes...but still spotty will visit eventually.

5. barsenault

yeah, i wrote the perth a scathing email with pictures. not that it will go anywhere, but you know, at the very least, it's a drop. they suck!

6. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

7. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

PCGS has a fix for milk spots ! I recently decided to send my Proof HR 5oz 2015 Kook bought directly from the Perth Mint for slabbing. As expected I found a milk spot near the rim - above "A" in Australia.

[​IMG]

I do apologize for the poor picture but I only remembered to photograph it when it was already packed up for postage.

I sent it for "restoration" to PCGS and I just got the pictures back confirming successful restoration !

[​IMG]

So clearly they do have a fix !! Not a cheap option..... Should send the bill to the Perth Mint

8. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Any idea how they remove the milk spots?

9. Ronnie 666

no clue !

10. Stark

They mixed the submission with somebody else and now somebody is crying because he got milky verison. :p

Or they were reading the this forum, they saw all the complaints here and they just replace randomly some submissions with nice coins. :p

Or you are getting "milkspotphobic" seeing milkspots everywhere, where there are actually not there. :p

You may choose one of the above versions. ;)

11. SpacePete

Stark, you are an evil genius. :lol: I love it!!!

12. barsenault

yeah, I'm not a believer either. Someone should run more test with PGCS. If they really can do as you are suggesting, they will be awfully wealthy. :)

13. mmissinglink

Best comment of the month!!! :lol:

14. SpacePete

I believe there is actually a way to repair milkspot damage but I didn't think it was feasible at an affordable price.

15. Stark

I said I will post some pictures some posts ago, but I didn't have time before. The following pictures are not representing the actual state the best. Taking pictures of shiny silver stuff is not easy as most of you know and I hoped at that time that milkspots will be better seen. I will comment for each picture separately, also some background info.

One thing is for sure. "Plague" is out there and it's spreading...

1. NORFED Liberty Euro 2008.
    Bought this coin in 2013. It's one of the most valuable pieces in my collection. When I got it, it was without any problems (5 years since initial production). It's one of the rare pieces I stored with AirTite foam ring. It's was stored similarly as most of the other pieces at that time. Probably in a plastic zip bag. Can't remember.
    Actual status is far worst if I'm not wrong. Milkspots are all around the head of Liberty Lady, but I think there is one big spot at the bottom which is not seen. Don't have any of the coins close to me, so cannot take better pics at the moment.

[​IMG]

2. Britannia 2014 5oz Proof
    Bought it later for a higher price, because I was stupid and bought it before from the Royal Milking. I asked many sellers at that time about problems and most of them said they had milkspots (no dirty minds please :p ). When I received it was problem free, although there might be some tiny spots at that time which I (and seller) overlooked.
    As "Euro" above I also received this coin in colder times.
    Spots are really tiny and barely seen with a naked eye, but they are there (although luckily less than one might think from the picture. I guess there is some dust or something present on the coin as well). Check the "BE" at the end of "Elizabeth". Nothing spotted on reverse luckily.

[​IMG]

3. "Brexit" 2016 1 oz silver proof, around 3 grams (I think).
    Don't really care much about these coins or the "event" itself. Sent a few of them for grading. They were without milkspots. Interestingly the only one that came back from NGC with milkspots it's also the only one which received grade PF68, instead of PF70, although piece might not be the perfect one.
    I think reverse is worse, but don't have good picture of it.
    [​IMG]

Milk spot free silver! ;)

16. barsenault

Stark ouch!!

Here is the attitude of the Perth Mint when I sent them pictures of Gatito's coin. And trust me, I sent a scathing email back to this person. If they want to be like everyone else around the world, then charge what everyone else around would charges for their spotted bullion coins. I know this person is a peon in the ranks of the PM. But it still feels good to write the email.

"Hello Bob,

Thanks for your e-mail. This is a condition that can develop over time unfortunately, and as this coin was released in 2011, it has had some time to show. We would have had no knowledge of this when the coin left, as it would not pass QC with this present. But if you look up "white spot" on coins, you will find it is a common issue, and it is certainly not limited to our coins. Mints all over the world have the same issue occurring with their coins. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Jonathan.

***** | Customer Service Officer, Retail

17. Ronnie 666

I know Jonathan and I don't think he has any say and certainly as an employee needs to pull the company line. Jonathan I have coins from 2016 with spots. Don't BS me about passing or not passing quality controls. I went to the Perth mint to find a 10 oz kook last year (2016) and after looking through about 20 -30 coins I walked away empty handed. The coins were garbage and I felt I had been dumpster diving - every one of them had multiple spots and all were brand new and all had passed the non- existent quality control. Pease don't insult us by adding this insult to injury.

18. mmissinglink

Bottom line: the mints know that their manufacturing process is the root cause of the milk spots.

They don't care so long as they can move their products out the door.

19. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

haven't bought a PM coin sense these spots started a few years back bars will do fine or paper, I vote with my pocket book as should all who are not happy. I will not buy something I am not happy to sell, that's the motto I buy by and PM are finished.

GS

20. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Got my link to the annual Perth Mint Customer Satisfaction Survey.

Filled it in and mentioned how they have lost my business since the milkspotting showed up and wouldn't be getting another cent from me until they fixed the problem.

That should do it, give them a couple of minutes to read through it and I would say the problem is over!