Perth Mint - 2016 Lunar Year Of The Monkey - Bullion Coins

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Holdfast, Apr 17, 2015.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I'll leave them all for dccpa

2. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

26 isn't to bad for US pricing if they get here at the same mark up. I think I paid 28 for goats last year.

3. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

No thanks barsenault. I passed on the horses at a $12 premium and I liked them better than the monkeys. Other than some 1oz horses that I flipped, I have spent about $500 this year on pms and that was for 1 Star Wars and 2 Odin Lord of the AESIR collectibles. I have cashed up and I am waiting patiently for crisis bargains.

Edit: Shippeevt When the goats came out silver was around $20 USD, now it is under $15.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Premiums don't come down too much.

Track the spot price in AUD and then compare the price of the coin from the dealer and eBay.

For example, the goat was selling for $31.85 AUD on 17 August 2014, the spot price in AUD was $21.15 AUD and the Exchange rate was 0.93220.

01 Dec 2014 - sell $30.01, spot $17.95, rate 0.84436

23 Apr 2015 - sell $34.92, spot $20.52, rate 0.77734

5. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Holdfast, I am too lazy to research the AUD silver price further back than a year, but your December 2014 and April 2015 spot prices don't match the spot prices on goldprice.org's charts. Eyeballing the chart, I see 23 Apr 2015 spot price at around 20.25 AUD and the 01 Dec 2014 spot price at 18.30 AUD. Obviously if these numbers are way off, then the following analysis is worthless. I converted the pricing to USD to eliminate one of the two variables. After conversion I have $15.74 USD for Apr 2015 and $17.10 USD for Dec 2014. Sell prices would be $27.14 USD (Apr 2015) and $25.34 USD (Dec 2014) and premiums $11.40 USD (Apr 2015) and $9.58 USD (Dec 2014). The premium increase of the same coin over time does not surprise me.

What I was posting about was the difference in US dealer premiums between issuance years. In 2010 (2008-2011 lunars), I could buy the 1oz lunars for less than $4/coin premium. Then came the dragon frenzy. In 2012, the low premium dropped back to $6/coin for the snakes, then up to about $12-15/coin for the horses and back down to $6.50/coin for the goats.

Considering I am not enthralled by the monkey coin and the PM has not updated the lunar mintages since February, it isn't going to take much of a premium to make me walk. A premium over $8 and I buy nothing. At $8, I will may buy one roll. It is a shame, because I was anticipating buying a lot of the monkey coins (my birth sign) and have the cash set aside. Fortunately for me, the tiger prices are holding up and I been able to increase the sales price on the mice with each roll sold. I don't see that kind of potential with the monkeys. We shall see.

6. Holdfast

The AUD figures are accurate for the time of purchase,you may find that the time in the USA to AEST is different.

Any way...my figures are just an example for folk to see in AUD how the spot / time frame and exchange rate effect prices.

Best to you dccpa.

7. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

guys,I have not even seen any goat in a flesh..what does it tell you? :p

8. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Hi Holdfast. Best to you too. As a double check, I switched the charts to USD and they matched my conversion numbers fairly closely. So I have no clue as to the reason for the price differences.

Hi BB. It was your 2014 post that lead me to the horses I bought, but I have already sold most of them. Lunars have been very profitable for me, but coin buying and selling is starting to feel like work. As part of my plan to simplify my life, I will likely continue to mostly sell and let the newbies enjoy the premium appreciation of the new lunars.

9. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

That you don't eat goat? :D

10. dragafem

that's correct and would not eat monkey either... ;)

11. barsenault

hey draga can you reword what you mean. Not sure I follow.

12. dragafem

sure.not interested in lunar s2...

13. Holdfast

My figures are absolutely correct! If you don't follow the buy and sell and exchange rates and..."Log them on excel then...your figures could be all over the place!

Why argue with facts?

You are wrong! And...as you admit you do not have the "Nitty-gritty" figures to back-up your comments. "I-do". :p :D

14. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Hi Holdfast, I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, but the charts I looked at differed from what you posted. I follow the pm prices and exchange rates daily, but I used your AUD-USD exchange rates for comparison and simplicity. Your 01 December 2014 silver price was $17.95 and the goldprice chart doesn't show silver touching $18 after mid November. If your price is accurate, then the goldprice charts aren't reliable. I use other sources for my investment decisions, so I really don't care if the goldprice charts are accurate or not. I checked another source, but it only shows one price of $18.48 for 01 December 2014 and that isn't useful. No worries either way.

15. toblov

toblov New Member

PM seems to have delays with the 2 oz and 10 oz coin. My dealer cancelled my order of 2 and 1 oz coins cause he said PM told hem they didnt know if they even would produce the coins.... Some other dealers though seems to have delays until november for the 2 and 10 oz monkey. Anyone else that have heard anything?

16. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Correct...

17. barsenault

Or not even know they would produce the coins???? Whoa, what? Not even mint the monkey lunar? Why?

18. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The release date for the 10oz silver monkey has officially been delayed, which means dealers cannot accept orders for it on the 5th October when the rest of the series is launched. A revised date will be announced in the future. Verbally I'm hearing the same is likely for the 2oz silver monkey.

So not cancelled (like the 1/2oz Koala that has been discontinued), but delayed. Every year a couple of sizes experience the same delays in one range or another. 2oz and 5oz Lunars are often affected, but I've heard nothing about delays to the 5oz size so far this year.