PCGS grading in HK

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Marcusboy, May 25, 2012.

1. Marcusboy

Marcusboy New Member

Just discovered that it takes 2-3 weeks for PCGS grading in HK. US$69 to join PCGS Collectors Club, US$30 fee for grading for each modern coin up to maximum coin value of US1,500 and the US$8 submission fee. Unlike NGC they do not conserve coins but will remove any PVC residue withour charge. It looks very tempting as I will save on postage,insurance and waiting time but all my coins that I have bought are NGC graded.

Any views?

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

PCGS is respectable too :)

3. low

low New Member

Interesting to know they remove PVC residue. They used to body bag PVC damaged coin.

PCGS graded imperial coins command more premium than NGC though personally I prefer NGC holder. :)

4. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah, I also prefer the NGC style holder.

5. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Im too prefer ngc. Because ncs/ngc. And the mcc colleccionist too prefer ngc. If i live in hong kong and i collecting coins for the long time. I spend a few bucks more to have it ncs conserved and grade for the better to sell in mcc. A lot of times i pay more for a ncs coin than a ngc only or pcgs coin.
    My prefer order
    Ncs/ngc
    Ngc
    Omo
    Capsule.
    Pcgs not for me. But i buy one 1/20 unicorn for the melt value in pcgs 68.
    ;-)

6. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I'm seriously considering sending some coins to PCGS after NCS raised their fees.

Mostly thinking of Gold coins though.

Intend to grade and flip a small batch on eBay so doesn't bother me which company they belong to.

7. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

anyone ever run any #,s comparing sales on like graded coins:) ? would be interesting, I can tell you that when it comes to US older coins PCGS is regarded to have a tougher grading standard and a PCGS coin will bring more money than an NGC coin in the same grade, that probably goes for US moderns too...............

8. SantozSilver

SantozSilver New Member

isn't PCGS better than NGC? sorry if i'm wrong but that is what i read from internet.

9. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

This has been debated many times , they are both top tier companies so it really is personal preference , I Like NGC better for some of the reasons others give like NCS and the holders , and I would have to say i have seen quite a few PCGS MS 69 pandas with pretty bad white spots something which NGC never gives me a ms69 on when grading . Dont believe everything you read on the internet.

10. SantozSilver

SantozSilver New Member

i don't have any coin graded by NGC yet. I'll try to find one of NGC or NCS and compare with my PCGS

11. jc888888888

almost all my MCC graded are NGC... the market seems to prefer it, I think NGC got a jump on PCGS when it comes to MCC , it is interesting how PCGS opened an office in HK and even is putting chinese descriptions on labels, my opinion is they underestimated the MCC market and allowed NGC to corner it and now are trying to play catch up..........you will see them doing conservation soon too I believe, they have the ability, remember that serif I sent in under the guarantee and they conserved it....... by the way it is at NCS now:) ill post pics when it comes back............

12. low

low New Member

I probably have said this before, but allow me to repeat.

For MCC, the usual grade is MS/PF 68 - 70. You probably don't want to look at anything below that, unless it is for exceptionally rare coin.

For old coins, usually the grade is MS/PF 62 - 64 (or 65, or 66, depending on which countries). Anything higher than 66 is pretty rare.

Now in the higher end of 68 - 70, you probably won't see any difference between NGC and PCGS, there is no competitive advantage for both company if we look at the grading alone. MCC collectors prefer NGC mostly due to NCS and perhaps, the nice NGC holder. Take away NCS, you may see different situation.

For 62 - 66 grade, sorry to NGC lover, yes, there are difference. Most of the time, PCGS graded coins are much better looking than NGC, hence PCGS graded coins sells for higher price.

So it all depends on what coins and the grade range you collect.

Now, one thing I can never understand is why lint mark doesn't affect the grade? Don't tell me this happen during minting process. I don't buy this.

I love any grading company who knock down coins with lint mark.

13. Lim

Lim New Member

PCGS can play catch up if they decided to have conservation services.
    Conserve every coins that are being send in and indicated on the label as well . That will shift my position toward them .
    As of now , NGC is still my preferred slab to buy . Cheers.

14. low

low New Member

For very long time, many collectors mistakenly believe that coin conservation means coin doctoring, and PCGS is very well known in fighting coin doctoring.

I am not sure how PCGS will tell their customers (who have wrong idea about conservation) should they start conservation service. I certainly believe they have the technical and financial resources to start one, but the business side of explaining their position maybe a challenge.

15. jc888888888

that would be a smart business move for them!! i prefer NGC also ,but if PCGS ,came up with an all inclusive grading/conservation/labelling/ good price/they sure would get my attention:)

16. jc888888888

Very accurate point / spot on Low...............that is their problem, but when the market wants tea and you are serving coffee:),you better buy a tea pot.................