Patriot Act, Gold and Silver confiscation

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by chimpanchu, Feb 7, 2011.

1. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

Got this from International Forecaster publication last week.

Quite alarming indeed to see what desperate measure a desperate government would do.

I wonder if in Australia we have "Patriot Act" equivalence...?

2. lakesentrance

lakesentrance Member

We're not Patriotic enough to have a Patriot Act.

We have the Levy Act.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

There has been a number of cases in the past where deposit boxes have been raided and the government holds proceeds pending proof of sale for items in your (now their) possession. They assume everything you own is a criminal act until you prove otherwise.

Whilst statistically speaking, a private safe deposit is going to protect your valuables more than leaving them at home, I contest that if the governments of the world become increasingly desparate and seek to steal the wealth directly like this under any guise, then it's really time to start worrying.

The Government can take my gold and silver out of my cold, dead hands as far as I am concerned.

F&@*# LOOTERS!

4. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting that the 'Patriot' Act was so named.

If a politician wants to steal from you or cover up dishonest intent they create a new word or a name which invokes a distinctly separate impression.

The Patriot Act could have been called the 'National Security Act', or the Border Security Act - but those names have 'connotations' and are then subject to critique of content. Who but a scoundrel or a traitor would question a 'Patriot' Act.

By definition if you disobey a patriot act you are not a patriot.

Similarly the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) could have been called the Government Mortgage Guarantee Program, or more appropriately the Goldman Sachs Rescue Package, but 'troubled' sounds quite reasonable doesn't it?

( Trouble: to disturb the mental calm and contentment of; worry; distress; agitate )

5. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

I don't really expect the US to confiscate Gold. Not saying it won't happen, it might, but I don't think it will.

Was actually thinking about this the other night. Let's say you are a country that wants Gold and lots of it but are finding it hard to get your hands on it. If you are not a democracy you could say encourage your citizens to accumulate Gold for a few years and then at the significant point confiscate it and establish a Gold standard currency.

6. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Will the US go through a mass exodus like Ireland did in the potato famine?

I doubt it but i'd definately consider it if i were from the USA.

7. JulieW

I think it will be a USSR type of collapse with strong and weak nations coming out of the breakup and some sort of 'trade' agreement.

I noticed they still have 13 stars on their silver eagles. The 52 states is a bit unwieldy after all.

8. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Talking about the USA breaking up reflects a lack of understanding on the depth of their patriotism and national pride - which the government used to come up with the name Patriot Act!

9. PerthStack

PerthStack Member

The war on drugs takes a he'll of a lot more than gold. People lose everything, jobs, money, houses, cars and their lives. All because a rather significant percentage of the population have decided to use drugs for recreation other than alcohol. Most of that illicit substance use is pot, which is far safer than alcohol.
    The patriot act might only be able to snare 1 in 1000 people, but the drug war is able to snare 1 in 3, and the powers that be want to be able to search the rest, without suspicion of any wrongdoing.
    Basically, if the Government want to take all your shit, they will. That being said, if I fear any organization to somehow swindle or steal my shit, it is the banking and finance industry.

10. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

+1. Paraphrasing Graham Hancock: You have an absolute right to alter and expand your own consciousness, as you see fit, with whatever Nature has provided us with. A right you shouldn't have to ask the goverment for! If we don't have absolute sovereignty over our own consciousness, then we really aren't free.

Bill Hicks has said much truth about drugs:

Cannabis is bad because big pharma and paper and alcohol and tobbaco industry, says so.

Genesis 1:29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

Smoking pot is being a good Christian.

Meanwhile, CIA = Cocaine Import Agency. And they had a president that did coke. The hypocrisy is astounding.

11. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

When I said this I was idly speculating about what China might be up to.

12. Ageo

Ageo Member

This is why they have the 2nd amendment to overthrow any government that is abusing its power with the use of arms......

In Australia we have the "bend over and take it up the ass act"

13. JulieW

Which is why the government is having a pitched battle with the NRA over the right to bear arms no doubt.

14. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

It reminds me of the string of disastrous and downright crazy Roman emperors that plagued the empire. When they ran out of money in the treasury for their twisted and debaucherous lifestyles they simply arrested wealthy individuals on trupmed up charges, confiscating their wealth for the imperial treasury in the process.

15. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Similar to the Unexplained Wealth Act NSW, perhaps?

16. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

Yup, sounds about right... in fact there are many examples of confiscation where the ones who worked hard for their $$ get shafted.

17. lakesentrance

lakesentrance Member

That's why we sold it all on ebay months ago ;)

18. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

There is a record for ebay sales. Unfortunately, all my pms were lost in a boating accident and the floods have undoubtedly washed the pms into the Ocean. :(

19. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

I really doubt that China will do that, China knows that their economy will become very very bad in the next few years... inflation is already raging in China. The last thing China wants is 1.4 billion starving, angry and penniless people storming the capital buildings. Incidentally that is the best way to bring down a government.

I believe the reason they are encouraging their citizens to buy gold is to prevent massive citizen unrest. Penniless peasants can be VERY uncooperative.

The so called "Democracy" in USA is a big joke... they are no more democratic than China is.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Most of China's citizens are penniless peasants tho and closer to 2.4 billion in number . All nothing but collateral in the eyes of the government one way or another just as in the west.