Paraiba Tourmaline for sale, Huge Selection!!

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by slappy70, Mar 11, 2017.

1. slappy70

slappy70 Member

Hello, I have some taxes that need paid, so I'm selling some of my Paraiba Tourmaline gemstones. These are rare stones that I've accumulated over the last 15 years. Prices range from $60 per carat up to $1500 per carat based on color and other factors. All pictures were taken in natural sunlight. The more you buy, the better price I can give and I'm willing to negotiate. I also have tons of other gemstones like Colombian Emeralds, Sapphire, Aquamarine and many others, so please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

When you say "Paraiba" - you mean Brazil right (not Africa)?

Shiny.

3. slappy70

slappy70 Member

I use Paraiba to describe any copper bearing tourmaline stone which is the accepted practice in the trade. The locale would either be Brazil, Mozambique or Nigeria. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks

4. slappy70

slappy70 Member

Just for more information, Brazil stones are almost always blue to blue/green. The other colors come from Mozambique and Nigeria. The pure blue stones from Brazil can be up to $15,000 per carat. I do have a few of them for $2000--$3000 per carat. They are .50ct to 2 carats. Here are pictures of a couple of the Brazilian stones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

Hi Slappy,

I am a gemmologist and while you say it is "accepted in the trade" it is still something that in my experience in Sydney is not the case (as to the name being one-size fits all). There are many 'purists' who object to the label Paraiba being used on gems NOT from the place *Paraiba* in Brazil where they were found originally. All other stones by my wholesaler are referred to as "copper bearing" tourmalines as he is clear (buyers remorse and all that) with me and other designers and jewellers as he want us to be aware and happy with the sale!

I am cool with your opinion, but I feel that the African stones are not worthy of the name "Paraiba" and it is actually misleading for consumers who may not realise the differences as there are significant chemical differences amongst the types. At present we have no way of officially differentiating objectively in the lab as to stone locale, however I believe that in the near future we will be able to tell objectively. When that happens I want to be holding the Brazilian variety!

They are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I LOVE LOVE the top stone. Can you please PM me the price and a few more pics? Thanks so much!

Shiny.

6. slappy70

slappy70 Member

I respect your opinion, however, I believe most labs are referring to copper bearing tourmaline as "paraiba" regardless of locale (I'm pretty sure they include a saying on the certificate to the effect of "may be referred to as paraiba in the trade"). When I refer to the trade, I'm speaking of the world, not just the US or Australia. I do not try and hide where my stones are from and am very upfront on whether they are from Brazil, Mozambique or Nigeria. I agree with you in that the Brazilian stones hold the bluest of color and highest value, however, the price reflects that and many people simply can not afford that cost and opt for the Mozambique or Nigeria material. I did send some pictures of the 1.42ct brazilian stone. Thanks

7. nunez9

nunez9 New Member

Slappy, you got a beautiful collection of tourmaline stones to choose from. How I wish I could afford to buy one of the Brazil stones and have it made into a heart pendant to be given as gift for someone special.

8. slappy70

slappy70 Member

Thank you. Check out some of the other stones that are blue to blue/green in the upper pictures. They are not as expensive as the Brazilian stones.