Options trading

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by Craig321, Oct 6, 2023.

  1. Craig321

    Craig321 Member

    Aug 15, 2023
    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Well, things didn't as planned. I wanted CBA to stay under $100 till nov 16 but it jumped to $102.30 or so last week. When a share price rises above the strike price all we have to do is roll the option over and up to the next month and strike price. If I had done this the day before CBA jumped to $100.30 I would have made an additional $6000 between Nov and dec 21. But i panicked and did it on the day and lost about $300 ($16,000 profit - $300 = $15,000 or so). The reason i did the trade on the day i did was because there is that American options can be exercised at any time and there was very little premium left in the option, so there was a small risk that I could be exercised. I'd rather miss out on a few thousand dollars than be exercised and then have CGT implications.


    CBA fell on Friday (the day after i did the trade) which made my decision a bad one. If i had rolled over the option on friday i would have made $3000 for the next month. Now I have to site on the position until the $102 option decays a bit - or cba falls a bit - before i can roll it over again and, hopefully, this time, make some money. This is why options are such a /good way to make money. Even though the share price rose $2 past my price (15,000 x $2 = $30,000 in share price), there is no loss.


    The $104 dec option has risen above the price i sold it at. But the expiry is so far away that there is nothing that can be done for now but to watch and wait.
    mmm....shiney! likes this.

Share This Page