Opinions: 1987 1oz gold Nugget, "Welcome Stranger" for $1680?

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by Ag-ness, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

I love this coin, so I seach eBay for it regularly, including when I don't have any fiat. This is one of those times.

I watched it go off for $1740 with no bids. Then I contacted the guy, who I think is in Melbourne, to let him know about Silver Stackers and that he might get a buyer here. He said thanks, will check it out, but would sell it to me for $1680 if I was interested. That's a great deal, in my opinion, but I just don't have the cash.

I've already run it by the Pikey, who was interested, but is going away tomorrow.
    If anyone else is interested, let me know and I'll put you in contact.
    Thanks, Ag.

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

It's about $20 above W Davis & Sons' selling price for one, and 1oz nuggets are an item they regularly turn over. Basically any of the 1980s Nuggets are common as muck, and should sell on a bullion basis only.

Even 1oz proofs don't seem to get much love. I just flipped a bullion 1987 Nugget out of my personal stack as a trade for a USA Buffalo. If you're desperate for one I can track it back down for you.

3. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

That's why I love you guys. You give me the good info.
    Still, it's the best eBay can do on them at the moment. :)

4. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

5. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If it was such a good deal Ag he would have made the deal - you are a Martyr to the cause my Love... ;)

PS - Aggie why don't you just offer me $1675 for the End of WW2 Set - Dancing dudes, holograms, silver & gold... an oz of each... I dunno.... Y'can't give it away lol!

6. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi everyone. Sorry for not making proper introductions first in the Newcomer's section but I happened to stumble upon this old thread while googling for some info on the 1987 nugget coin.

I happen to like the design of the coin so I was surprised to see one on ebay for auction. It's currently at AUD1590.

Would appreciate your advice and wisdom if it would turn out a good buy or as you mentioned, would it be better if I get it from other buyers on SS?

Thanks!

7. Parrots

Parrots New Member

I found a 1988 4 coin set still in the sealed mint packaging and was very close to pulling the trigger on them but its strange to still see them available for nearly a month now for 2,024.

Do you guy think that price is worthwhile.

[​IMG]
    Source:
    [​IMG]
    Source:

8. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

That looks like a proof set - it originally came in capsules and a wooden case.
    Those plastic seal things are not original.

Price seems about average if it is in British pounds - without knowing anything about your local regulations/taxes or whatever.

9. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow really nice coins. Have to agree that they look proof to me, but missing the COA and box.

Sorry to digress but aren't you Parrots1 on youtube who recently amassed a huge collection in the last 3 months?

:eek: WOH

10. Parrots

Parrots New Member

Oh OK i thought they were original packaging. Yes that's me.

11. Silver Bullion Boy

Silver Bullion Boy New Member

They look like the ones on Atkinsons website, they are proof coins missing the box and coa, I would purchase them if I had the spare funds. They are lovely coins and the price is ok also IMO

12. switchtronics

switchtronics Active Member

The nugget set is a nice coin set. They do always sell for bullion value. It is the proofs from the 1988 4 coin cased set. They minted 8180 of the sets when they originally came out
    with the case and c.oa. I like the 1988 as it was the last of the nugget series and it also sold the least quantity of the nugget design.

The proof sets usually sell for between 3-7% over spot which isn't bad buying considering the smaller fractionals.
    I would only pay current bullion values on the nuggets without the case and c.o.a.

13. Parrots

Parrots New Member

Think i will wait and get i set with case when one comes up in that case.

Yes Atkinsons and they have some very nice sets pop up often and have bought 3 proof sets off them so far.