Online retailing back in the news as cycle business fails

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by goldpelican, Jun 14, 2012.

1. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I can tell you for a fact Chinese postage is a fraction the cost in Australia, it's part of the reason Chinese Ebay sellers are able to thrive. The Chinese government subsidize overseas postage to make their country more competitive. Whereas Australia post is there to collect revenue.

2. Smoothcriminal

Smoothcriminal New Member Silver Stacker

I've said this before but it really is the pot calling the kettle black here. Retailers did the exact same to Australian manufacturers over the last several decades importing overseas goods and undercutting local content and now that the population is doing the same to them by cutting out the middleman they squeal for protectionist policies.

It's a problem for jobs but it is a problem that is not going to go away with a wave of a government policy wand, retailers need to adapt and change or die out like everything should do. Personally I think the best thing a local business can do (aside from food and other "fresh" related items is focus on quality/expensive goods - I don't know about anyone else but I happily pay extra (within reason) for local on really big ticket items simply for the relative security, under a few thousand I'll have a punt online if it's a decent saving over 2k and face to face is preferred. I am also happy to pay extra if I get quality service somewhere - I have not received quality service aside from a few eateries in a long time most staff seem to know less than I do from some google-fu about what they are selling.

3. Ghost

Ghost Member

Are you serious...? [​IMG]

The GST exemption favours the Australian Government and as a (unwanted) by-product, the Australian citizen. If it was feasible for the Govt. to chase that "lost" revenue then they'd be all over it like your mum on a cupcake. [​IMG] If they tried to get the USA etc to collect it for them and pass it on, I'm sure the answer would be a resounding GAGF! Why should a foreign business have to pay GST to the Australian Govenment...?

At the end of the day, if the difference between an overseas purchase and one from Australia was only 10-15% I'd happily give my hard earned to the Aussie shop but when the difference (even after freight and GST) is between 50-75% then the "Aussie" can GAGF! Especially when they start lobbying the Govt. to legislate more restrictions and more taxes against their fellow man...

4. Ghost

Ghost Member

I don't care what his problems are... That's life!

Anyone calling for more taxes as the solution to a problem however, should be retrospectively aborted! [​IMG]

5. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm always serious Ghost. But I'm gonna laugh my arse off though when one of the products you buy overseas requires repair under warranty and you take it to a local dealer and they wave bye bye at you. I'll be the one with the crack in the head sitting at the bus stop outside the store with tears running down my face. And a bottle of Ice Break.

This (why goods in Australia are more expensive than in the US) has been discussed ad nauseum, and your position obviously indicates you fail to comprehend the real reasons. Good luck to you Ghost, buy cheap from overseas, and support the Federal government's anti-small business stance in relation to GST on imports.

6. Ghost

Ghost Member

I'm not sure what your exact point is here mate but I'm pretty sure that volunteering to be bent over and raped by Australian importers and retailers isn't very clever... :rolleyes:

BTW what sort of retail piracy do you engage in...?

7. Ghost

Ghost Member

You really are a simple chap, no wonder you're so worked up over this GST exemption eh... If my camera had of failed under warrenty I would have posted it back to the manufacturer in JAPAN! If it failed after the warrenty period I would have bought the new version from my favourite US retailer and been instantly up to date with the cutting edge of technology.

If I'd have purchased the camera in Australia and it failed under warrenty, I probably would have been told (after numerous visits or phonecalls on my time) that I have to pay to get it sent back to the manufacturer or some other bullshit delaying tactic until I cracked the shits and told them to jam it and went overseas anyway...

At the end of the day I'd prefer no government intervention, especially not some sort of artificially "levelled" playing field that allows Australian's to take advantage of a captive market...

But I'd settle for the abolishment of the GST...

8. mmm....shiney!

Sorry, I got bored, what were you saying?

See here we have a problem. You want minimalist government interference yet you are a supporter of Australian retailers collecting GST revenue whereas foreign companies don't have to. So basically you are happy that at a minimum, goods purchased here have to cost 10% more????

Then you say you want to abolish the GST?

Mate, the GST is the only environmentally responsible, economically rational and libertarian tax that exists. It taxes consumption. Not production. It taxes those that want to spend. Not those that want to save.

9. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

100% agree with this ^^^.

10. Mud Gecko

Mud Gecko Active Member Silver Stacker

It's not helping Aussie small business/retailers though is it?

edit to add: I think raising the GST threshold to $2-300,000 would help.

11. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How do you reconcile that with the fact that there is a minimum amount of money everybody, rich or poor, needs to spend in order to live?

Say that minimum amount is $15,000/year and we scrapped income taxes and increased the GST to 20%.

If you're only earning $20,000/year, you'll pay $3000 in (consumption) tax, which is 15% of your income and $3000 is a lot of money to someone on $20k/p.a.

If you're earning $100,000/year, you'll also pay $3000 in (consumption) tax, which is 3% of your income and $3000 is bugger all to someone on $100k/p.a.

A pure consumption based taxation system doesn't "reward savers", it rewards people with the ability to save. People on low incomes simply do not have that ability, therefore they can't be rewarded.

12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You are trolling.

13. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So ? should a person who "earns" 100K also be limited to spending only the same amount as one who earns 20k. More income, more spending, more tax.

14. wrcmad

Easy, GST does not penalise those who work hard to better themselves. :)

Yes, it gives incentive to people to have a go. People on low incomes do not have the ability to save whether there is a GST or not. I am not a communist. :)

15. Ghost

Ghost Member

That not a bad tactic, can't win an argument so you make shit up... see a lot of that from the Greens.

Care to show me where I've ever supported the GST...?

So now that warranty has been cleared up and the dollar is on par with the USD - what's the next excuse for why Australian importers/retailers gouge the public so much...?

How come I can buy an oz of US minted silver in Aust. For the same price they go for in the States but a Savage rifle costs $1300 here and only $300 in the States...?

16. mmm....shiney!

You know if i respond to you Big AD, the debate will go nowhere and neither of us will budge. We've held hands and walked down that road before. ;)

17. mmm....shiney!

I never said you supported the GST. I said you want to abolish it and that you are happy that businesses in Australia have to collect GST but foreign companies don't. That's what I said. Mmmmm??? Now where did you say that? That's right.

18. wrcmad

This whole mentality drags everyone down to the lowest common denominator. I see it every day in Unionised work places with equal pay rates - no one is willing to work harder than the biggest bludger, because there is no reward.

The flaw with this mentality is that it's not about 'what potential do I have to do better?', its about 'that's not fair because he has more than me'. It fails to recogonise that things will never be equal in terms of earnings or wealth (and nor should it be).

19. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wake up mate. If you are really as stupid as you are acting at least try and understand some basic concepts. Not all retailers and wholesalers gouge. In fact most do not. Australia is the second most expensive place in the world to run a business. I employ Australian staff, we are renowned for being better value for money by selling our Australian made products for a lower price than imported items but our quality is an order of magnitude better. Australians make and sell our products and people buy them because they are better quality and are price competitive with overseas imports. I provide jobs here and pay wages that Americans can only dream of. So if you call me a "Pirate retailer" you insult me and my Australian staff. Clearly you do not run a business and you do not contribute anything to our economy, so personally I hope that your job is among the first to be culled when the people that do produce and contribute to our society get tired of providing jobs to those who are merely parasitic little drones.

20. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I get where you're coming from, but the only way to make sure people on lower incomes don't suffer with a massive tax burden would be to work out what that minimum amount needed to survive is and exempt that sum from GST in the form of a refund (which would bugger up everyone's personal cashflow because people wouldn't actually have the money now, when they need it).

We already do something similar to that with the income tax system through the tax-free threshold (now $18,200) which is essentially an acknowledgement that if you're earning $18,200/year or less, you can't really afford to pay tax because you earn so little money in the first place that you probably need every dollar you receive just to get by. We also have a GST exemption on fresh fruit and vegetables to acknowledge the importance of "essentials", so if we switch to a pure consumption based tax system we'd have to work out minimums for everything that is considered an "essential" because it wouldn't be subject to the income tax-free threshold. You'd have to work out an electricity tax-free threshold and a water tax-free threshold and a transport tax-free threshold (and then you'd get into figuring out how to calculate complicated petrol taxes compared to simple fare-based public transport modes to come up with a fair "transport allowance").

The only way to make a pure consumption based tax system really fair would be to make it a consumption-in-excess-of-the-minimum tax system. To be honest, I wouldn't really have a problem with that at all but it would be so incredibly complicated to design that I think we'd be better off sticking with the hybrid income/GST system we have now.