Old foreign coins - what to do with them?

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by wafflecakes999, Feb 13, 2015.

1. wafflecakes999

wafflecakes999 New Member

After not being on the site for months, I have a question that I think can be answered best on this site.

Many years ago I received from my grandfather a box full of old foreign coins. Younger me thought oh boy these are cool. Older me has realised that they don't do much and are just taking up valuable space in my tiny apartment.
    Most if not all the coins are no longer in circulation, and have all been circulated (probably fine condition at best for some, most are less than good).
    So I am wondering, what I can do with them? Selling would be great but to itemise them all would take ages, and most aren't probably worth more than 10cents each, so should they just be thrown out, recycled or are there any other more useful options?
    If anyome wants a F2F in Brisbane to go through them I am open to it.

Thanks,
    Waffles.

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. silvestor

silvestor Member Silver Stacker

If you truly believe they are not worth much and you don't expect much from them, sell them all as a bulk of miscellaneous foreign coins with a few different pictures and then you don't have to describe each coin. You can always try gumtree or eBay, if nobody buys them here.

Keep a few to remind you of your grandfather.

4. Jislizard

Depending on where you are in Brisbane you could always take them along to one of the coin clubs...

Australian Numismatic Society Queensland Branch

Postal Address: PO Box 78, Fortitude Valley, QLD 4006, AUSTRALIA.
    Email: [email protected]
    Internet: www.The-ANS.com/
    Meetings: 7.30pm on the third Friday of the month at Trinity Centre, 9 Church Street, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane.

Gold Coast Coin Club

Meetings: 2.30pm on the second Sunday of the month, Southport Library, Southport.

Queensland Numismatic Society Inc

Postal Address: PO Box 431, Lutwyche, Qld 4030, AUSTRALIA.
    Internet: www.qns.org.au
    Meetings: 7.30pm on the first Friday of the month, Metropolitan Senior Citizens Centre, 9 Church St, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane.

Redcliffe Coin and Phonecard Club

Postal Address: The Secretary, 10 Barramay Street, Manly West, QLD 4179, AUSTRALIA.
    Telephone: (07) 3396 6855
    Meetings: 7.30pm on first Tuesday of each month at the Woody Point State Special School Hall, 85 Georgina Street, Woody Point (Hall entrance and car park via View Street). Phonecard collectors meet at 6.30pm, general meeting starts at 7.30pm.

5. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

i am in the exact same boat. i know nothing of the coins. i dont want to take them to a place and not know if im being riped off when im offered a price for all of them. and there is way to many that it makes me tired just thinking about them. so they stay in their boxes. we should start a support group for people left with large amounts of coins. outsiders will never understand our pain.

6. Jislizard

Our coin club hands out small bags of world coins at local shows etc.

If you just look up one a day you will get it done soon enough and you can just chuck them out one by one.

I have a box of them somewhere that I will get around to one day.

7. wafflecakes999

wafflecakes999 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try and get down to one of the ANS meetings.