Oh damn, Coin got stuck in tube? (solved).

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by pmfiend, Apr 9, 2011.

1. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

Dumb story time. I had a tube of buffalos and a tube of ASEs, and I was wanting to switch half & half in their tubes. Ok, I empty out the coins from the 2 tubes. First time I'd actually seen them out their tubes, mmm...shiny :)

So I start to pop the ASEs into the bufallo tube:
    1st..goes in ok
    2..ok
    3..ok
    4...hmmm...why doesn't this one fit...oh crap!

Tip it upside down and shake & pat and very reluctantly out comes last 3 coins....1st coin still smiling back at me from near bottom of tube. Oh damn it.

I try to massage the roll with my grip...coin wedges itself in even flatter & tighter. Oh fuck.

Wooden skewer too thick to get between side of coin & tube. Great. I'm going to have to surgically, with a hacksaw, cut this tube up to get out the coin. Wasting a good tube, and possibly harming the coin.

Hmm, oh wait..genius...a suction cap! Retrieve the suction cap that holds my toothpaste to the wall. Sweet. Wet it & press it to the coin....let go and it falls off limply....grrrr I guess it can't grip the textured face of the coin. Ok, suction cap didn't work, but the "sucking/pulling" idea might be on the right track...

What else can I use...wadded up 3 types of stickytape...not enough sticky power.. :(

Ah ha - a vacuum cleaner! Yes, MORE POWER *grunt* *grunt*! Measure the nozzle to the tube, perfect it fits! Plug it all & and it sucks.....sucks....sucks....GRRR!!!! DAMN YOU!!!! Turn it off. Coin is at bottom of tube laughing at me.

Hmm, neo magnet?...Well I know of course this won't work...but assumptions go out the window when you're desperate. Assumptions were correct. :/

Ok, nothing so far has the strength needed to dislodge the coin...For a moment I contemplate glue ;) hmm, perhaps I could drill a small hole on the bottom of the tube and use a skewer to push the coin up...could salvage the tube this way....

Hmm, so the ASEs are broader than the buffalos...my fault. I can't be the only idiot. Realize the implications of not being the only idiot. Google "coin stuck in tube" find "Put into freezer for an hour. Then pour boiling water over it for around 10 seconds. Open top, hard tap on object." I wet my pants a little.

Tube goes in freezer. Hour goes by. Kettle boiled. Tube comes out. Hot water poured. Prayer said. BANG! Hard slap on bottom of tube. Nothing. BANG!? BANG!!?!?? Ting! YES! Coin is smiling up at me from bench top. :cool:

So next time you have a stuck coin, don't use suction - use magic. ;)

2. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I usually just resort to swearing at things that don't work like they should. :rolleyes:

3. Haggai 2:8

Haggai 2:8 Member

Hahahahahahahaha. Lesson learnt, don't play with your money.

4. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Pmfiend thats great I love a good story plan A plan B plan C etc .you definately dont lack initiative & thought process to succeed in whatever you do. great story well done & you learned something about expansion & contraction with termperature.So it was worth it .

5. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

AAA++++

6. Turk

Turk Active Member

Myth Busted!!