novel coin from Canada

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by kaz, Apr 26, 2011.

1. kaz

kaz New Member Silver Stacker

2. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

Mint sold out. 5000 mintage. $139.93. plus postage. Lady Bug, The royal Canadian Mint.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is one of the reasons I got out of modern numismatics!

When they started printing pictures onto coins instead of minting them I figured it was time to go. It was obvious that these things were 'coins' in name only and were never designed to circulate or be spent. But if pictures and holograms and lenticular 'moving images' wasn't enough, they are now resorting to collage.

Sad to see that it has sold out, this will only encourage others to do the same.

I have switched my collecting to hyperinflation banknotes and community currencies, it is very liberating not trying to get a collection of everything the Perth Mint/Franklin Mint and Pobjoy Mint spews out each year.

Still, I suppose the mints have to cater to all tastes in order to stay in business, I just wish they would move away from coins if they are going to do this sort of thing, there is no need for these things to be coins, it doesn't affect the worth of the item and the price is seemingly pulled out of thin air with no reflection of the face value anyway

4. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

I am with you, I could not have put it better.

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

+1. I hate the majority of them. Unless they're really nicely done (which is rare, some PM ones are ok though, rounds/coins).

Color on silver just doesn't sit right with me :p

Also hate the Royal wedding ones and that Perth mint coin with that Saint on it just gives me the chills since it's so ugly! Why would anyone want them LOL

Not many of these newer 'coins' have the elegance and designs like the old numis, everything now just seems to be 'mint a few and sell at crazy premiums to idi...speculators'