Not paying homeloan

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by RomanControl, Sep 21, 2012.

1. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think you will find Great Briton is part of Pakistan

2. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I acknowledge your point, but that is exactly why so many British colonists moved to the New World - was to escape the draconian taxation policies of the British Crown. The US is where I look to for inspiration of what freedom is as they are about the only country which enjoyed a relatively long period of small government along with the associated prosperity and freedom which that brings.

For what it's worth, Australia also adopted income tax around the start of WW1 - 1914 if i'm not mistaken.

3. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

4. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Surely your not suggesting that the biggest, most ruinous wars in history are a result of Governments being able to forcibly take a greater share of wealth for their own purposes? :p

Income tax: Root of all evil

5. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Income tax is a small price to pay to live in Australia. We live in a great country with some of the best health/protective/rescue/transport/welfare services in the world and mostly it is fully funded. Sure - I'm not saying the government couldn't do it better, but when I look around other countries - I'm happy to pay my share of the tax burden and put up with the odd government screw up.

Anyone who doubts this - try out the US healthcare system, ANY European government service and pretty much any service in Asia (yes there are exceptions Singapore being one). I know when I was flying internationally for an airline - if we became ill no matter how serious - there were very few countries that we would get medical help. We would drag ourselves back onto the plane and fly home - cos there was no way in hell we were going to the hospitals anywhere else!

malachii

6. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

SMALL price to pay! Total government expenses are over $23,000 for EVERY man, woman and child in Australia!! That's a frickin obscene price to pay given that it all originates from theft.

7. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

In a word ... BALLS!!

8. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You mean you fly back here because you know your treatment has already been paid for.

Many hospitals in Asia (not just Singapore) offer an equivalent or better service than Australia. Yes you have to pay, but residents don't get taxed for medicare levies. Personally I would rather have a choice between paying ALL my own medical expenses, or being forced to pay into a system that I receive almost no benefit from.

9. hussman

hussman Member

Correct me if Im wrong but didnt the roman empire have taxes on its slaves. Taxing how much they harvested, taxing sheep etc. Since that was their income cant that be classified as income tax?

10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There have been a few "current affair" type shows on how superior and affordable dentistry is in the Philippine and a couple of other Asian countries and how people go on dentistry "holidays" there to get their teeth done.. I think that the indemnity insurances plus the extreme cost of doing any kind of business in Australia make it so unaffordable here.

11. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

Well... of course that IS the choice you have....

12. willrocks

The only ways I could currently avoid the medicare levy is:

1. Reduce my income.
    2. Put all my assets into buying a house, then become a Centerlink recipient.
    3. Have a lot more kids.
    4. Stop paying taxes and get hunted down like a criminal.

13. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Comments about US healthcare system: I agree
    Comments about ANY European government service: I disagree
    Comments about Australia in terms of "best health/protective/rescue/welfare services in the world: I totally disagree

14. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How much does Dental care cost in Australia?
    How much does Dental care cost in Thailand?

Re: costs. Pay the same money in Australia and Thailand for dental care and which do you think is the superior service?

:lol:

15. willrocks

I'm not sure about Thailand, but we don't have a great dental system here when these things go on: http://www.smh.com.au/national/dentist-treated-25-teeth-too-many-20091213-kqhq.html

On the other-hand, these dentists do an honest day's work:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ol-RyYnTD4[/youtube]

16. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

5. Pay for private health cover..

17. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

I would respectfully ask anyone who is disagreeing with me - have they experienced the overseas services you are commenting on? Would you trust your child's life with them?

I have seen some of the results of overseas medical procedures (including the Philippines) and there are very few I would use for myself or any of my family (South Africa is a good cheap alternative though). I would fly back to Australia ANYTIME whether I had to pay extra or not - spend a day in a hospital in ANY other country and it will open your eyes - even as a full expense paying ex-pat!

I have seen protective services in other countries where they will only provide basic services if you supply an "extra" inducement. I have also dealt alot with overseas governments and I can tell you that despite the limitations/frustrations of the Australian Public Services - they follow a set procedure and if you follow that procedure eventually you will get the proper outcome (in 99% of cases). This does not happen overseas!

I was in an Asian country about 7 years ago where the fire service would not put out the hotel fire until management provided a suitable inducement. This was the government supplied fire department.

Considering our population - our roads system is good, our transport system is usually good (especially where we are - VLine are affordable and fantastic!!), and basic health and community services are available everywhere (with the possible exception in the real remote parts of Australia).

There are so many great things that our Government provides for us everyday that we take for granted. Travel overseas (no - not to tourist areas - really get out into the communities) and see what the alternatives are. I think you'll find that you will be shocked. I had to travel to many remote and far flung places in my previous career and deal with many government agencies. I can tell you - there is NO WAY I would leave this country on a one way ticket to anywhere else in the world!

malachii

18. capt.sparrow

capt.sparrow New Member

we in the "free" west are supposed to have moved past the slave era, but apparently we've been conned right back into it over the past 100 years

19. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well from what I gather there is a class action against the banks for unfair punitive fees. http://www.mauriceblackburn.com.au/...ent-class-actions/bank-fees-class-action.aspx

Maurice Blackburn announced in May 2010 that it intended to sue 12 Australian banks for charging customers unfair fees. These fees include honour and dishonour fees on bank accounts, as well as over limit fees and late payment fees on credit cards.

If you went overdrawn they charged you $35 as a fee. However the actual cost for providing this service was about $5. The other $30 went into the banks' pockets.

Now if someone wanted to take the banks to task for charging hundreds of thousands for a couple of hours work then I think that class action would be well supported. It would be a real uphill struggle though.

20. willrocks

Now you're just being silly.