Northern Star Resources (NST)

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by bazz1000, Nov 9, 2011.

1. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Soon we'll know how much of the subscription is being issued

SPP closed 7.00 pm (Sydney time) on Wednesday, 19 February 2014
    Issue of New Shares Thursday, 27 February 2014 (Issue Date)

2. finicky

Groovy, they increased the size of the SPP. We'll get 2/3rds of the amount we subscribed for, irrespective of prior size of share holding - big or small get the same treatment. On my own account I should get the 10,000 I sold on market back + a few extra.

-------------------------------------------------------------

ASX ANNOUNCEMENT
    27 February 2014
    03:27pm

SPP CLOSES OVERSUBSCRIBED
    WITH STRONG SUPPORT FROM
    SHAREHOLDERS
    Board increases SPP Cap from $15m to $29m

Applications nearly 300% of Share Purchase Plan (SPP) Cap of
    $15 million

Northern Star to double the size of the SPP in response to
    demand from Shareholders

Applications lodged under the SPP totaled $43.3m, meaning
    allocations will be scaled back by about one-third

... This scale back will
    be applied equally to all valid applications received under the SPP.

3. clear

clear Well-Known Member

over 30 million traded today and price didn't drop

4. finicky

^^
    Wow, hadn't noticed. Looks like 26 million were transacted after closing time. Total volume of 31m is the highest ever traded in a day for Northern Star. This A.H activity seems to have actually pulled the NST price down 1.6c from the last natural trade of the day.

The big after hours transactions have XT and SX against them - XT is 'crossed trade', and SX is something like 'portfolio special crossing'.
    ASX Indices are changed after close of trade today - coincidence? Can't see Northern Star being added though in the list I found. Don't get it. Maybe it's a change in the Gold Stocks Index?

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=ZSP&E=ASX&N=786916.

"S&P Dow Jones Indices announced today the changes in the S&P/ASX indices, effective after the close of trading on March 21, 2014 as a result of the March quarterly review. At this rebalance the entire S&P/ASX index hierarchy is reviewed, including the All Ordinaries. "

5. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Dang! Ncm out of index Asx 20

6. finicky

^^
    Yes, was subsequently wondering whether that might be one of the factors driving high volumes in other gold stocks incl NST.
    If Newcrest is out of top 20 that might mean its big weighting would be reduced in Sector indices like Metals and Mining, Resources, Materials, and Gold Miners (XGD), which could force up the percentages of other participants.
    So now if something is buying the XGD Index it might be buying less of NCM and more of NST, SLR and others.

7. finicky

Not sure whether Tony's endorsement for NST should be a comfort for shareholders but it's recent and I'm including it for entertainment value.

The report for month of April production has just been released, and so far the upshot of the acquisition spree is going to script if not better. Wow, imagine what this share price will do if the competent management is sustained and the price of gold heads off into a fresh bull market - chocks away!
    Chart view is equivocal and comments later. Suffice to say I would not necessarily be buying right now imo

Position: Holds
    Sentiment: Hold

Northern Star Resources Limited (ASX: NST) is pleased to announce outstanding
    production results across its four gold mines in the month of April.

Gold mined during the month totalled 45,000oz
    Gold poured for the month totalled 33,449oz.
    Gold in stockpiles, circuit and transit has increased to 72,544oz.
    All-in sustaining costs (AISC) across the group were A$1,010/oz (unaudited) for the
    month
    Average realised gold price was A$1,413/oz.

The AISC is a 13% reduction from the March quarter figure of A$1,167/oz.
    The strong performance, which compares with the 34,302oz mined and 25,337oz
    poured in the month of March, reflects the productivity drive implemented by
    Northern Star at its recently acquired Plutonic, Kanowna Belle and Kundana gold
    mines in WA.

The Plutonic acquisition was effective from 1 February and the Kanowna Belle and
    Kundana acquisitions were effective from 1 March.
    Northern Star has stated that it aims to produce at an annual rate of 350,000oz-plus
    with AISC averaging A$1,050/oz.

Northern Star Managing Director Bill Beament said the operational restructuring
    being implemented across the three acquisitions was already paying significant
    dividends in the form of higher production and lower costs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rDNX0MsuSs[/youtube]

8. clear

clear Well-Known Member

NST is becoming a Star with Jundee Acquisition today, 2nd largest gold producer in Australia now.

9. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

I'd gotten out some months ago but bought back in today with the latest acquisition.

They will now be the 2nd largest aus producer after Newcrest.
    Newcrest will be on the nose for many fund managers so when the next gold rally rolls around, nst should be right in line for huge insto buying.

10. finicky

My guess is, for this acquisition they're paying roughly the after tax profit of the current Jundee reserve which will be mined out in 2-3 years? That assumes Newmont hasn't taken out the good stuff before leaving and the 400kozs reserve remaining is same grade as history. The jorc resources aren't much more than the reserve. So they get a developed mine, a plant, a tenement, and any in mine or nearby exploration prospects is my first off impression. Wouldn't have a clue whether it's a good idea or not but a bit uneasy with the rapid expansion.

11. finicky

Interesting reservations shown about the purchase by posters at another site:
    One says,

".... don't forget the rehabilitation on a mine like this is $50m - $100m, plus a lot of staff will require retrenchment or cost of relocation to another mine if it needs to close...
    They had better find more gold or its not worth it. I think the market will realise this tomorrow as they start to factor in the large rehab costs"

And quoted from The West Australian:

"Under the terms of the deal, Northern Star will acquire all of Jundee's assets and liabilities including all environmental and employee obligations."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/wa/a/23468449/northern-star-buys-jundee-for-us82-5m/

12. finicky

I reckon this is starting to look quite strong after today's rise of 4%. Needs a good or neutral gold result tonight I guess as a back story to a good weekly candle for NST on Friday.
    Can see that this week is shaping up for a solid positive candle on firm volume with the candle well outside the downtrend edge.

Northern Star (NST) 2 year weekly
    [​IMG]

13. GOLDPIRATE

GOLDPIRATE New Member

Yes. That bottom chart would suggest a nice uplift in sp from here ;)

As you've mentioned in above posts, it's the too big too quick scenario that errks me with NST.

A good long player for sure but, the dividend splashing doesn't thrill me. Prefer if they held the cash as, though POG now has bumped in the upper & given bugs a nice jolt. Let's not kid ourselves here. Gold has a long way before it proves a hit again for many of us that got in in round 2012......

14. finicky

It seems this was the best performing stock on the ASX200 for the financial year just ended. That June 2013 significant Low in gold stocks was almost perfect timing though for a contest like that.
    http://www.finnewsnetwork.com.au/ar...il&utm_term=0_93a5b03408-7e0804a847-137684005

Can see that the weekly chart is still holding well with an indecisive hammer candle last week followed by a positive engulfing candle so far this week. The price is creeping up again to 1.35 resistance and I suppose real buying will be waiting for the full year trading update that has previously come out in July. Also June Quarterly results have previously been promptly posted close to end of July. There seems to be positive anticipation though as the daily closes creep towards 1.35
    This'll fall hard from that 1.35 resistance if the optimism is unfounded. Dealing with a gold stock I will only be confident with a weekly close above 1.35

Almost sold my holding in NST due to possible $US1,000 gold target mooted by some heavyweights like M Armstrong, Louise Yamada, others, and a chartist on goldseek that I cant shake off called 'Rambus'

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/1893_nst_july_2_2014_weekly_2_yr.gif][​IMG][/imgz]

15. GOLDPIRATE

GOLDPIRATE New Member

Well I say a big BS to US$1000 gold! We can all hear the noise but there is a point where we tune out.....I will eat crow if gold gets much lower than it is. Even if it did it wouldn't hold water for long. Ever watched the world debt clock for a minute? Stressful!

16. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

With reference to those who consider $1000 gold a possibility....as opposes to those who "predict" it, you can add Clive Maund to it. He has been off the ball with gold price rise but I find he seems to be depressingly good at gold price falls. He is a little concerned at the moment also.

17. finicky

The trading update's out, but the all in sustaining costs would be impossible for me to work out. The June 31 cash holding is up compared to end of Mar Quarter ($82.3m cf $67m) after they spent $16.4m on the abnormals of acquisitions, but you'd also need to account for what was added in from capital raising(s) during the Quarter!

The up note of the report is the production level:

Production, as measured by gold sold, from the Paulsens, Plutonic, Kundana and Kanowna Belle projects totalled 115,819oz in the three months to 30 June 2014. But if you added in production from more recently acquired Jundee of 75,390oz, you get total production of 191,209oz for the June Quarter 2014. If that can be annualized (that's "if") it would equate to 764,836 ozs when their annual guidance has been in the 550-600,000 ozs range.

Looking at the chart - today should close well above the 1.35 level that I have believed is significant resistance and if the gold price holds up NST should challenge the 1.55 area? Current intraday price is bid of 1.40

18. clear

clear Well-Known Member

$ 1.44 on volume of 5m+

19. finicky

^^^
    Holy smoke, the lunch-time crowd's back with a vengeance. Please hold up mr gold price :(

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/1893_nst_dly_july_9.gif][​IMG][/imgz]

20. GOLDPIRATE

GOLDPIRATE New Member

Certainly a good stock! Big things ahead imho & yes, gold price needs to sit on it's bottom then get right back up again & start walking some....

Pat on the back for those that stayed long. Being rewarded now ;)