Northern Star Resources (NST)

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by bazz1000, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Stu

Stu New Member

Hello All - as you can see i am new to this site so go easy! :)

I've been looking at NST for a while and was wondering what peoples thoughts are of buying at the current price which is $1.07?

Cheers - Stu

2. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi there - I bought NST at a buck but have not been tempted enough to add more. It has broken out of its downtrend but is not showing a lot of herbs. I'm confused by the chart of NST and am half of the view that it is going to go through a major corrective pattern - an ABC pattern or 'one down, one up, one down' would be typical. If that happens, the rally you're now seeing will eventually give way to another downleg before a real strong uptrend can be borne. If gold breaks out or some vital news occurs holders will get a better price, but I'm just not excited by what I see yet. Almost all gold stocks are for cynical cutthroat traders happy to make money off other shareholders really - not investors. I've attached a thumb of the decade monthly chart and see how the shape is expanding since 2010? Also how the last low overlaps the prior high? Situations like that have not worked out well for me in the past, so I'm uneasy about NST.

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/1893_nst_5_yr_weekly_apr.gif][​IMG][/imgz]

3. Stu

Stu New Member

Thanks for taking the time to post this finicky.

I was thinking myself that if price was $1 it might be worth a punt. I agree that if the gold price recovers (which i'm sure it will) then this company is well placed to make some serious cash given the reserves they have.

Stu

4. shano73

shano73 Member

95.5c atm, dive in the waters warm.......all the miners are getting flogged today :) another buying opp for people I think.

5. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

these sell offs usually happen over 2-3 days

6. Stu

Stu New Member

My word it does look inviting! :)

I would definitely like to see where this is at by the end of the week as I agree that these sell-offs do happen over a couple of days

7. finicky

Down down
    Prices are down

$0.72, down 4%

Northern Star Resources Limited (ASX: NST) is pleased to advise that drilling
    has returned high-grade gold intersections 100m below the previously known
    limits of mineralisation at the Paulsens mine in WA.
    The intersection of 9.8m at 17.3gpt, including 0.4m at 184gpt, was made
    100m vertically below the deepest mineralisation previously recorded at
    Paulsens' key Voyager 1 lode

Other significant results from at or around the same depth include:
    10.0m at 31.9gpt
    12.8m at 25.4gpt
    8.3m at 40.3gpt
    25.2m at 9.8gpt
    9.8m at 17.3gpt

These results are all located more than 200m below the current production
    level at Paulsens. Given that mining at Paulsens is progressing at the vertical
    rate of 40-50m per year, generating about 2,000oz per vertical metre, the
    latest result provides more strong evidence that Paulsens will continue to
    enjoy increases in resources and mine life.

Northern Star Managing Director Bill Beament said the latest high-grade
    intersection at depth in Voyager 1 provided more evidence that there was a
    substantial amount of gold still to be discovered and mined at Paulsens.
    "We are hitting high-grade gold in virtually every direction we drill," Mr
    Beament said. "It is becoming increasingly clear that Paulsens not only has a
    long, outstanding future but that after 10 years, its best days may still be in
    front of it."

http://stocknessmonster.com/news-item?S=NST&E=ASX&N=635749

8. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

This is on my watch list, The Bull Weekly share tipsreckons NST is currently a Buy.

9. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

They pay a dividend and have a good margin

10. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

PLUTONIC ACQUISITION MAKES NORTHERN STAR A 200,000oz PA

11. finicky

Only $25m and $14 per resource oz for Plutonic. Current resources of 1.75Moz @ 10.8gpt and historically Plutonic has converted 50% resources to reserves.

"Outstanding exploration potential"

Operating gold mine including accommodation camp, power station 'n everything.

Synergies with Paulsen expected. Predicting Plutonic's all-in sustaining costs to be in the range of $1050-$1200/oz after allowing for some efficiency measures Northern Star intends to implement.

Northern Star's M.D, Chief Ops officer both worked at Plutonic and Plutonic's ex senior geo is now Northern Star business development exec. Suggests they know what they're getting.

Says bulks up NST enough to be attractive to global institutional investors.

12. finicky

Northern up in lights after Plutonic deal

PAUL GARVEY THE AUSTRALIAN DECEMBER 24, 2013

NORTHERN Star Resources has set its sights on becoming one of Australia's largest listed goldminers after buying the Plutonic goldmine from North American heavyweight Barrick Gold.

Northern Star, which already owns the Paulsens mine in central Western Australia, will pay Barrick $25 million for Plutonic, which has been in production for more than 20 years.

The acquisition, which will be funded out of Northern Star's $45m in cash reserves, will make the company one of Australia's four biggest listed gold producers.

Northern Star managing director Bill Beament said the acquisition would lift the company's annual output from about 100,000 ounces to about 200,000 ounces.

"It's not too often you can double your production for just 10 per cent of your market cap," Mr Beament told The Australian.

"It's a fantastic result."

Barrick has been selling off its portfolio of smaller, ageing Australian goldmines as it moves to focus on its bigger, higher margin operations. In October, it completed the sale of three WA goldmines to South Africa's Gold Fields for $US300m.

Mr Beament said the Plutonic acquisition was similar to Northern Star's earlier acquisition of Paulsens, where the company was able to drive down operating costs and substantially extend the project's mine life. Mr Beament, Northern Star's chief operating officer Stuart Tonkin and the company's business development manager Bernie Sostak have all worked at the Plutonic mine in the past, giving the company a head start in its efforts to overhaul the operation.

The plunge in the gold price this year, coupled with Barrick's commitment to quit its less profitable operations, meant Northern Star was able to buy Plutonic for far less than it would have cost a year ago.

"You'd probably have to pay $150 (million) a year ago," Mr Beament said.

"For $25m, we've also picked up all the mobile and fixed plant underground, all the jumbos, loaders, trucks, drills, fans and pumps. The replacement cost for that equipment alone is $25m."

The mine has reserves capable of supporting two more years of operations, but Mr Beament said he was confident that much of the project's 1.75 million-ounce resource base could be upgraded and extend the ultimate mine life.

Barrick said the mine had been operating at an all-in production cost of $US1110 per ounce this year. Plutonic produces about 115,000 ounces a year, but Mr Beament said that would likely drop to between 100,000 and 110,000oz as the company abandoned the processing of low-grade waste ores.

Shares in Northern Star closed up 4.5c to 72.5c.

13. trew

Bought in yesterday at 72c

been watching them for ages

can still get clobbered down further though if the gold price falls further,
    but where many gold miners are down 80%-90% from their peak NST is only down 50% from peak,
    the mgmt is doing something right

14. finicky

3 new broker notes appeared on the company's home page today. All calculate the Plutonic purchase to increase valuation to 97c - 1.15.
    Download reports from 'Featured news', top left of home page:
    http://www.nsrltd.com/home.html

15. finicky

Another one behaving strongly in the face of a capital raising, but given this C.R includes a Shareholders' Purchase Plan (SPP) @ 0.86 it's all the more unusual.
    Anyway I took the risk of not receiving full allocation due to possible scale-back and sold 10,000 @ 1.12. Have subscribed for $15k worth in SPP. Goldies on fire relieved to say.

Motley Fool take February 11, 2014
    Should you buy Newcrest Mining Limited or Northern Star Resources Ltd?

NORTHERN STAR 5 YEAR WEEKLY CHART
    [​IMG]

16. J-Money

J-Money New Member

I did pretty much the same thing. Apprehensive of getting none of the SPP though..surely there'll be a large uptake given the current SP.

17. clear

clear Well-Known Member

$1.21

18. trew

yep pissed I sold at 95c

19. clear

clear Well-Known Member

$ 1.25

20. shano73

shano73 Member

I would be too :) I'm still holding, this company has withheld the last 2yrs strongly, can I ask why you sold?

If these guys can still hold strongly over the last 2yrs, can only see them going strength to strength, glad I doubled up when they were low in Dec 12