Norfed lovers stackers space

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Silver Soul, Aug 26, 2011.

1. cent66

cent66 Member

No Peter, it was meant for Matthew. He was selling hallmarked 06/07 scales of justice pieces on Ebay which I bought from him. I was thinking I had seen his name in a forum in Reddit but it was Ebay.

2. PeterUK

PeterUK New Member

Thanks for clarifying that !!

3. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I was in contact with Jeff K a lot when he was alive, and he told me the discoverers piece was of the lower mintage next to the gold clad 1/4 oz princess. Bless his soul . I still miss him ... even though we did not meet, he was a top bloke to me

Jason Caissie and 66rounds like this.
  4. Silver Soul

That 1oz 2007 dala princess is a hard bitch to get. One day I will nail her :D

5. Matthew Corey

Matthew Corey New Member

The 7 I listed sold for 60 between 4 buyers pretty much instantly. Sold another one in private and gave one to a relative. Got 5 left that I am pretty keen on keeping. I would have been excited about paying as much as 70 back when I was cash in hand unsucessfully searching for one before having come across the lot. They are difficult to come by. I got feedback that hallmarks aside they are pretty much as nice as you can possibly find them as general issues.

I pretty much paid my dad back and kept 7 oz of BoR/scales hallmarks along with extra money for for grain and herbal refreshments off that deal.

Got this from Mr. Hampe when I asked if he had anything interesting. It is amusing to me that the New Hampshire guy has that last name. Story is that it was given by Bernard at porcfest 2015. The unique date punch hallmarking isn't mindblowing but it's probably my favorite one for what it is, thought I'd share.
    https://prntscr.com/qdn8k0

On the subject of the Liberty Dala issues, I think Kaiulani Reginald Huth die being a pretty young lady makes her a bit more of a stand-in for lady liberty compared to the other cast of characters. That die currently has polling results on the rhm site as being the favorite. I got a tainted ms64 quarter oz one for 95 because I thought the stand-in thing made it special.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  6. cent66

cent66 Member

Inkeds-l16004_LI.jpg Inkeds-l16005_LI.jpg
    Recently acquired 2 specialty marked liberty dollars.

7. Matthew Corey

Matthew Corey New Member

Same cross hallmark is on the 1981 RHM Kamehameha First Day of Issue's. You can find the 1981's listed by mistake as non-fdi's every now and again. It's kind of satisfying as a collector to have two examples of the hallmark if it is something you want to look out for.

Did you get the ny dd that the same seller had listed? My bid was 87 and it went for 88 which is still basically a steal.

cent66 likes this.
  8. cent66

cent66 Member

If it has a hallmark, it grabs my attention. Those 2 I posted I found by accident. I was playing with the screen zooming in and out when I noticed it. I did a little research on them and decided to bid on them.

Yes, it was me on the NY DD. When the seller posted a 2007 New York, I didn’t pay much attention to it. I took a closer look at it on the last day of the auction.

9. Matthew Corey

Matthew Corey New Member

The guy who posted a page back under the username of something like "Mike" was selling it. I asked him why he listed it with the US half dollars rather than as norfed and he said Ebay was forbidding him from using the word. I think that he is triggering something with the combination of words in his attempt to list rather than being discriminated. I could be wrong. Anyway 88 bucks is a steal, and I told him unless he can find a solution he is better off selling them somewhere else than among the walking "liberty" half "dollars"... after the auctions were done.

Congrats!

10. Matthew Corey

Matthew Corey New Member

Christmas requests as sorted by uniformity of the cameo, right being the best. Bernard has really good taste in engravings as a producer. I think the camera does not do Trump Dollars any justice compared to the eye and I am not sure why. 20191225_160925~3.jpg

11. Silver Soul

Massachusetts norfed on ebay if you live state side! Only 500mintage, and wont post outside the USA :( Bum'a

12. cent66

cent66 Member

13. Matthew Corey

Matthew Corey New Member

#'d SMI for 70 bucks being sold by someone with a boatload of them falls under the category of "deals that you will not see again once they are gone."

Gaming the search terms does wonders, by the way.

"$20 silver" filtered under bullion
    "liberty" filtered under bullion
    "dala" filtered under coins
    "royal hawaiian mint" filtered under coins

Latest acquisitions are a pristine Colorado piece for $29 and a Hawaii 1/4th oz Discoverer's piece for $45. This included shipping. I can't afford to be the only one buying some of the stuff that pops up when you game the search terms. I let someone else get a Gillie's restaurant Mt. Morris piece for $75 about a week ago.

I think rare and historic scrapmetal is something a person can buy healthcare and retire off of because I see so much of it. You'd think that's something someone would want to keep to themself but I do not enjoy seeing this stuff get underwritten.

_

Also I was one of the main guys in dealing with the aformentioned Trillion Stars pieces that were listed a while back. From what I read regarding pieces not being returned based on the 2007 injunction, either they all had gotten removed and melted into a bar or they are all buried in the middle of a field in Nebraska with a treasure map. The latter is what I would do in that position. The 2007 injunction that rendered the Evansville pieces extremely valuable would make them inoperable as bullion that it's creators would be allowed to keep. So uh there's that.

The Trillion Stars pieces, there were two people selling them. The guy besides me solicited for explanations so I talked to him. His story is that he found a tube at a pawn shop. My story is that I found a flea market bullion dealer who stumbled upon a tube. The #'d and mintmaster hallmark'd variations both come with a "MC" hallmark inside of a spiked oval resembling a spiral galaxy. This is a comment on the scarcity in how elements are created.

The third seller of these pieces was Arnold's Jewelry and Coin one municipality over from the flea market bullion dealer. Bernard lives an hour south of St. Petersburg, St. Pete being the go-to place if you want to have a day off in the big city. All of the legal stuff devolves into genuine full-blown paranoia, but it is hard not to talk about. Given the revelations surrounding these pieces, Bernard or someone close to him offering these to pawn shops as a joke is probably the best bet. There's always the possibility that they are the contracted mint's mules but that doesn't explain the way they were sold. I think the TrilStars was a separate project independent of Liberty Dollar that never got off the ground because 2009 was the year that everybody involved started realizing that the government was seriously not going to have it.

I like how the orbital line on the reverse reflects fear of a nuclear war and the place hard currency may have during one. The guy nails it in every die that he orders.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    cent66 likes this.
  14. cent66

cent66 Member

I"m taking a breather on NORFEDs for a bit. I just recently purchased a new vehicle so my wallet took a hit. There's lots of items online (close to 600) but nothing special that stands out. If I see a Colorado for $29, I'm definitively pulling the trigger. LOL

15. mostly_broncos

mostly_broncos New Member

does anyone collect the paper norfed notes? I happened on a small lot of them a few years back and forgot I owned them until I found them in my desk drawer the other day. Don't see much info about them online

cent66 likes this.
  16. Matthew Corey

Matthew Corey New Member

They're about face value + 2 bucks regardardless of denomination in the spirit of still being redeemable while having been discontinued. There are not many other examples in the way of what a 19th century bullion receipt would look like with 21st century security features. I can see people going after sets of each series with E and G series aside of the hawaii notes being the least common.

All of the "proof of concept" notes illustrating NORFED's plans for debasing against rising silver prices or illustrating some tradeshow novelty tend to be worth quite a bit and prices for those need individual assessment.

Aside from the MA sn'd pieces, I think the Indianapolis $50 pieces that someone is offering individual pieces out of a full tube of is a pretty good deal. Initial offer was $99 but nobody's biting so the listing is getting price cut and buried at the same time. The guy offering them has them at like 65 I think. I am not sure how rare those ones are. I'm in the same boat though financially. I am also starting to become extremely content with how my 20 type variations with mintages of 1,000 or less are going to look after I get them slabbed at an ICG submission coin show. I'm going to line them up vertically with them being labeled by a small text fine label maker, some top population pieces I am going to have there, mmhm: quite nice.

I got 4 packs of 50 $1 denomination First Year of Issue Live Oak Dollars with the Sunshine Mint round on it. I think they'd auction for at least face value with shipping included, I might get rid of 3 of the packets because I am starting to lose confidence in these folks. Aside from the notes being protected by manual documentation of serial numbers, the line definition of the spirograph looks really lousy. It seems like if their printing was vectored out to be much sharper or if they offered a unique "strictly no cash value" 1/10th gold piece for $200 redemptions, things would have gotten off the ground.

Anyway if anyone wants any of those as an example, I can probably send out 2 or 3 of them in a simple envelope for face value + postage. SN's run 002001 to 002200. like 2 or 3 fiddy

In contrast with the Live Oak, I think NORFED went so balls-to-the-wall that it stored its reserve in Idaho which is probably the best state you can store them in as far as advertising the certs to holders who are worried about their value in the event of a hydrogen bomb exchange. Much different from Live Oak and might explain a bit in terms of this business model's success. They had the marketing outreach thing down. Besides the acceptance aspect of passing money creation powers down to the consumers with the full-value coupon issued for spot price, security was perhaps an even bigger proponent. Some people might actually prefer certs in terms of safety in smaller storage volume (easier to hide) if their business was more oriented towards assurances. It's the reason why some repository certs actually made sense in the old days.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    cent66 likes this.
  17. Jason Caissie

Jason Caissie New Member

I have one. And if you are looking for any others, I probably have that too. Tell me what you are looking for and I’ll tell you my price.

cent66 likes this.
  18. Jason Caissie

Jason Caissie New Member

He seemed real cool. He called me many times to chat. I never met him either, but he seemed to be the nicest guy.

cent66 likes this.
  19. cent66

cent66 Member

Anyone knows the capsule size of a NORFED 5oz?

20. Matthew Corey

Matthew Corey New Member

yeah here is what is starting to look like a decent collection to me

2x trump 2016 *fdi bvnh , MS68 MS69
    2x ron paul $20 *sn *bor, MS69 MS69
    5x 06/07 $20 *scales *bvnh, MS68 MS69
    montana, MS66 MS 67
    colorado
    florida *florida bash *bvnh, MS67-MS68
    new hampshire *bvnh, MS67-MS68
    05 $10 *cross, MS68
    ungodly, MS68
    07 $20 hawaii sovereign, MS67-MS69
    trump 2020 *fdi bvnh, MS69
    2008 $50 *tuscon RCO, MS67
    gun dollar 2010 $50 **strike on the face appears different or highly defective, MS67
    07 princess $5, MS64-MS65
    07 discoverers $5, MS66-MS67
    2008 2/5th oz $20 20 *porcfest *20*13 **porcfest 2013 piece passed from BvNH, MS67-MS68
    pattern 20th anniversary 43/100, MS69
    1998 first general issue *MA, MS68-MS69
    2018 20th anniversary *bvnh, MS69
    x7 04 $20, MS63-MS68
    x25 06 $20, organization's full roll ***CONTENTS NOT SUBJECT TO INFLATION, MS66-MS68
    x30 1/2th oz 05 $20, organization's full roll ***CONTENTS MAY INCREASE IN VALUE OVER TIME, MS66-MS68
    about $140 LD in storage notes with $10 base multiplied by 2, **some expired, some appreciated in base value. better for the collector's value but redemption is still a decent offer.

all are 1oz unless otherwise indicated
    * = designating a hallmark,
    ** = secondary annotation
    *** = designates on the roll bottom of the 3 rows of text, first row being 1/2oz 1/2oz 1/2oz, second row being "AMERICAN LIBERTY DOLLARS," these rolls appear that the air is eventually going to make them crumble into dust. The toned enders are left as is.

about 4,500 bucks to me at $64 an ounce for 70 troy ounces of 999 fine plus notes but I am hanging onto it for until I am an old man. given that a huge sum of it is generic, it might be estimated heavy, but the notes are there. Might be 4,000 but I would try to work each sale individually if they were for sale. I got like 25 non-generic types, I think. I got the 8oz of Live Oak notes in there as well that might as well be good for 20 years.

if you put some nice clothes on during thanksgiving and go through it, it's a fun way to spend 30 minutes.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020