Noob questions about tubes

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sonic, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Sonic

Sonic New Member

Is the quantity in a tube always 25? Can you fit anymore than that in a tube? If you buy a tube is it always American Eagles? Seems like that's all I've ever seen and I'm not sure why. Do other coins not fit in them properly? I know Maples aren't quite as wide as ASE so they might shake around. They're thicker though so you might not be able to fit 25 in the tube.

2. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Most coins can be bought in tubes.
    20 count for ASE and 25 for maples as a general rule.
    The fact you are only seeing ASE in tubes is just bad luck.

3. Sonic

Sonic New Member

What about monster boxes? Seems like it's always ASE.

4. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Same deal as far as i am aware.
    I have not bought all type of coins in monster boxes, but if you google it i a sure you will find many coins and even rounds can be bought in monster boxes.
    The you would be buying 20 rolls of 25 coins/ronuds or 25 rolls of 20 coins/rounds

5. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Almost all govt-issued BU 1oz silver coins and many fractionals are available in boxes as well as by the tube or individually. Ditto most 1oz and fractional rounds. As said above, RCM boxes are 20 tubes of 25 coins and ASE boxes are 25 tubes of 20 coins. You can also get aftermarket tubes of different sizes and types. The CoinSafe and Numis square tubes are more robust and durable and provide better long-term storage than the Marcus round tubes (which are breakable and OK for circulated coins). The AirTite CapTubes are good for storing individually encapsulated coins. The SureSafe shipping tubes provide good storage that keeps the coins/bars from contacting each other, but they're considerably bigger than regular CoinSafe or Numis tubes, which can make required space an issue. You can see a good assortment of them all at http://www.jpscorner.com/coin-tubes.html You can find them at all the major supplies vendors as well as via Ebay and probably Amazon. Provident usually has OK prices on most mint boxes and tubes.

If you want to try to keep BU silver coins/rounds from toning, use good tubes (ASE, RCM, or else CoinSafe or Numis square tubes) and keep the tubes in something that provides good protection against atmospheric contaminants---like a good military surplus ammo can, a good safe, one of those high-end hard plastic photo gear storage cases, etc. Mint monster boxes are OK, but the photo gear boxes have O-ring seals and the ammo cans have gaskets, so they both provide better atmospheric protection.

To match the diameter of individual coins to tube diameters... Use Apmex info details on individual coins to find coin dimensions. For starters... Maples, Philharmonics and pre-Y2K Libertads fit into RCM tubes. ASEs and 2000+later Libertads fit into ASE tubes. Beyond that, you need to compare the size of whatever you're stacking and find the right size tube(s). You can also find a good list of dimensions of a lot of common coins at http://www.air-tites.com/coin_size_chart.htm#.VOk1uEKDS5Q

Be aware of a couple things, though...
    1---Even if you use good tubes and good atmospheric contaminant-resistant boxes, you'll still probably get at least edge toning on stored coins after enough years go by.
    2---Tubes are OK for storing common low-premium and mid-premium BU coins in bulk. If you're storing proofs, treasured "medals" or anything fancy or truly high-premium... that's another situation entirely and those will warrant better storage than mere tubes.

6. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

FYI Austrian Viennas come in 20s tubes also....