Nickel

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by mmm....shiney!, Nov 17, 2020.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mickey Fulp argues that battery demand for nickel is hype: there's "wildly optimistic predictions and projections..." that he doesn't think will pan out.

Woohoo, and he even suggests a conspiracy theory operating, he calls it an "agenda".

https://www.kitco.com/commentaries/...p-The-Nuances-of-Nickel-s-Nimble-Numbers.html

So for those of us exposed to the likes of CHN and AZS we need to keep our minds open regarding the demand for nickel - and that it may well be government stimulus in construction etc as opposed to the rise in battery demand that drives share prices higher, if they do.

2. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There are hundreds of very big Nickel Mines that are mothballed. When the mines restart prices will drop like countless times before.

Have to remember Nickel is plentiful

Nickel mining is basically BOOOOOMMMMMM than BUSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Nickel all time high was $50,000 USD per ton than over few years went down to $3000

Last time I looked at Nickel market in 2010 the best mines cost of mining was about $4,000 per ton, less efficient one about $6500..... So when prices are high, mines start to reopen but takes a year or even two.

When a mothballed mine is operational again, (this is modus operandi for higher cost operators) the goal is to mine as much as possible as fast as possible to recoup reopening cost and make huge profits before there is a glut and inevitable price crash.

Note: This occurs because Ni is not usually a byproduct of primary mining. ie like gold is a byproduct of copper/lead mining

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Ivykoin and heartastack like this.