Nice Day to Photo Opals

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by 1for1, Jan 17, 2015.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

It was a Nice Day to Photo Opals - so i did..

Some of my favourite opals.. all Ethiopia Welo and Eita Ridge.. :)

9 pc lot about 1.1ct each Eita Ridge with Fire! Untreated

[​IMG]

14 Pc - about .7ct each Eita Ridge Fire Opals with Colour Play (untreated)

[​IMG]

1.54CT Black Fire Opal Eita Ridge Oval Rare Treated (colour enhanced)

[​IMG]

1.50CT Eita Ridge Full Fire VVS Pear Ultra Rare Treated (colour enhanced)

[​IMG]

2CT Welo Multi Colour Fire Opal White Untreated

[​IMG]

2. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

dear 1for1,

did u cab and facet them? nice job btw!

do u sell them?

shiny

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Beautiful!

4. Gazza79

Gazza79 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Very nice 1for1 :)

5. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi - i purchased these as is.. not my work at all!

I am really loving the Eita Ridge opal gemstones lately.. the black opals are something else! These are the types i am looking to mount as jewellery in pendants etc.. (this is my plan anyway!)

I got some Kiwifruit Green and Yellow opals also - Mexico, dont see them round too much.. not as nice as aussie or Ethiopain stuff but interesting also.. will load up some pics when i can.

7. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Thanks - in all likelihood this will be more long term holdings, really reluctant to sell these!

I have lots of opals i would sell :)

8. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Lol.. i have similar opals and many other "different" ones you may be able to buzz.

I will likely hold the above beauties.

9. slappy70

slappy70 Member

I just figured out how to get my camera to capture an ok picture of opals. These are Ethiopian Welo opals. The first two pictures are of a 2.65ct Opal at different angles and the third picture is a 1.47ct opal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Nice Colours.. quite an art to taking images of them..

Most of my opals are white - about 75% of more .. I started off just getting more affordable ones, have worked my way up a little.

11. slappy70

slappy70 Member

Yes, it took me around 3 hours of fooling around with the camera settings until I got them to the point that I could capture the different colors the opals were showing. I also read a couple of articles to see what tips I could find.

12. brisbanecoin

brisbanecoin Member Silver Stacker

Hey 1for1 great idea for the opal photo thread! Just a question as I have purchased a bit of Welo rough and find the stones to be quite beautiful but stayed away from the Ethiopian "Black Opals" because of a lack of knowledge. From what I have read they are all treated as there isn't black opal (At least confirmed that I have been able to find) and many people advise to buy with caution or at least the assumption that everything is treated. If you have any info in regards to the subject it would be much appreciated as I find the stones quite beautiful but don't quite have the same understanding of them that I do of Australian Opals.
    These are just a couple of the articles I have read on the opals:
    http://www.ebay.com/cln/dominiongems/Smoked-and-Treated-Black-Opals/101198038014
    http://www.gemselect.com/gem-info/black-opal/black-opal-gemstone-information-and-education.php

Thanks, Will post some photos later!

13. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Thanks .. yeah the 2 black opals are have both treated and were purchased as treated, i figure with the massive difference between the price between eita ridge and lightning ridge/ cobber peddy .. there must be a monumental difference.

I will get a proper Black Opal Gem from Coober Pedy or lightning Ridge before i die.

Just reading that first link it appears as though "passing off" is the issue.. no different tazanite, sapphires and ruby which are all commonly treated.. just need to know if it has or hasnt been.. i basically assume it has unless stated as a rule

Other sources for black opal include Ethiopia, but Ethiopian black opal is usually enhanced through smoke treatment to darken the body tone color.

http://www.gemselect.com/gem-info/black-opal/black-opal-gemstone-information-and-education.php

As i said above.. the vast majority of my opals are white, and many are treated.

Technology will effect this industry heavily in the future.

regards

1for1

14. brisbanecoin

Damn was hoping you had a trick that helped you identify untreated Ethiopian cabs as If you can snag them for a great price now I think they will do quite well in the future as long as the welo proves not to crack (Like the chocolate but so far its held up a lot better for longer So I'm starting to diversify too) I'm in the same boat though I have some nice semi blacks but I really want that stunning N1 base with bright colour but natural. Will be sometime before I get one in my collection as well. I know gem select states black opal in Ethiopia but most being treated but I have yet to see any true Black Opals coming out (see this as to why for a while it was believed to be natural black: https://ethiopiantimes.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/are-woyane-opals-really-natural/ )Not sure of your background but thought you might have the inside track from leading association or lab that has verified it was found! Thanks for the info though!

Anyways getting back on topic:

Boulder Opal 8cts. Love the pattern on here with main bit of colour in the centre and a few bits dancing around the stone:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boulder Opal 3.5cts. Just something I love about the bright colours forming a pattern through the matrix:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coober Pedy 0.7cts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coober Pedy 1.7cts.
    [​IMG]

Coober Pedy 2.2cts. (This one looks much nicer in person, have a few ideas for this one)
    [​IMG]

Coober Pedy 4.4cts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lightning Ridge 1ct. (dark base but limited colour)
    [​IMG]

Lightning Ridge 3.5cts (Has sand flaws but a brilliant bright top)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lightning Ridge 4.4cts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mintabie 1.4cts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mintabie 2.9ct
    [​IMG]

Mintabie the left 2.3cts the right is 3.3cts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mintabie 3.8cts (This one has even better colouring in the hand!)
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2FzBCzd_b0[/youtube]

Mintabie 16.45cts (Double sided beauty, although the back is not as bright it is a fantastic stone!)
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDG0aJ-EbSQ[/youtube]

15. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

@brisbanecoin .. Want to come to Tanzania with me? (wholesale trip to the source)

The lack of information about Eita Ridge is both a sign of the type of opportunity it may be.. or possibly something more sinister.. there is no wikipedia etc.

I have a contact where i can source Eita Ridge Opals.. a few.. two of three only have treated.. the 3rd i am going to have to enquire further but i am of the opinion these cabochons i have are untreated.. they range from white to black? unsure the exact specification on them but are a real beauty. In terms of solid evidence i am really reliant on heresay based on the reputation and trustworthiness of the gem dealers.

Personally i have only been offered Eita Ridge Opals from around 2013 onwards so its a recent block discovery

I am not an expert about opals by any means.. just looking for good investment vessels.. this is one area i have focused on.. welo whites are great.. but the Eita ridge seems like an unbelievable opportunity.

PS brisbanecoin - Awesome collection btw, they stack really well also.. bonus!

16. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Oooo...got some cross contamination there mate. :(

Keep those grits separate and re-wash lots before using finer grit.

Too many deep grit scores.

17. slappy70

slappy70 Member

It is my understanding that a buyer should assume any black Ethiopian Opal has been treated and should adjust their price accordingly. Most of them are being smoked (although there is also a sugar treatment as well). When I first started buying them, this was rarely advertised by the seller, however, it seems like more and more sellers are now saying either "treated" or "smoked". From the reading I've done, this smoked treatment is much more permanent with the Ethiopian opal than other opals. From what I've read, this treatment on other opals only affected the outer layer of the opal the dark color could be rubbed off. However, Ethiopian opals are so pourous the treatment permeates all through the stone, so I believe it is becoming an accepted treatment for the Ethiopian opals as long as the seller is advertising it as such. With the price they're being sold at, it's hard not to buy some.

I just started buying opals in the last 3 years. I find the different colors and patterns just amazing. Recently I purchased some 14kt white gold settings to make some pendants. I'm guessing for you Australians, they are everywhere and easy to find dealers. In the states, not so much.

18. brisbanecoin

If this is in reference to the backside of the big opal then I know its not the best finish but I was planning on having a solid back when mounted as a pendant so I wasn't to concerned. If its in regards to another stone/stones please let me know! Thanks

19. brisbanecoin

A trip to Tanzania to buy rough (Not just opals) has been one thing I really wanted to do However I have a few big expenses coming up this year so I don't think it would be possible.... Will send you a PM in regard to more/alternative details!

I'm no expert either just have been learning everything I can from experts for the past couple years and reading, watching everything I can about it!

Thanks for the comments on my collection I too have found gemstones to be a great store of wealth and in there cases they take up so much less room I was actually able to increase the value of items but downsize my SDB!

20. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Brisbanecoin - replied to your PM

stack on!