NGC vs PCGS vs ANACS - panda graded coins

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by JDMseaweed, Aug 25, 2015.

1. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

I started with NGC, so I'm starting to think should stick to NGC to complete my sets...

I was starting to wonder:

Do people mix n match grading companies?
    or are certain coins better or graded better by a company?

is there any downside to complete a collection with variety in grading company?

thanks

2. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

NGC seems to have graded the most coins so far but I could be wrong, followed by PCGS and then ANACS. Again I get the impression that NGC slabbed coins sell at a higher price compared to the others (I could be wrong again!). It seems that you may get better grades with PCGS for certain coins and medals. For example, Summer Palace Gate medals are getting better grades at NGC for only the Proof Silver medal while the other three varieties (antique silver, proof brass and colored brass) are getting higher grades at PCGS. I'll attach a table I posted at CCF to another post later today.

I think it boils down to individual preference. Furthermore, especially when building sets, you may need to buy any slabbed coins you can get your hands on. In that situation some may send the discordant slab to the grading company of their choice for re-slabbing. I haven't re slabbed any coin yet. I may do so if necessary in future.

I have mainly NGC slabbed coins but I also have a significant PCGS presence. Interestingly my more valuable coins are PCGS slabbed!

Best wishes.

PS. Guys how do I attach a JPEG file to my post? Thanks.

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

To add picture to your post, first upload it to the forum by clicking the "Upload Image" link above then select the image....in a few moments after you've uploaded the picture, its URL will be provided....simply copy and paste into your message.

Also, at any time, if you have a bunch of images uploaded to the forum, you can grab any of those URL's easily by clicking the "My uploads" link toward the bottom of the same page in which you upload images.

Ideally, if I were to complete a set of graded coins / medals, I'd try to have the slabs uniformly from the same TPG but I'd purchase a different TPG slabbed coin / medal if the price was right or if I couldn't find the missing graded coins / medals I am looking for to complete my set in a slab by the same TPG than the rest. In other words, when possible i use same TPG slab but if not I don't sweat that it's a different reputable TGP.

4. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Thanks for the upload instructions.

5. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

China dealers prefer PCGS because cheaper cost and higher grade. Therefore, they can make higher margin. I suspect this is the reason that LBC forum keep saying PCGS is better than NGC.

I remember certain coins and medals PCGS demand higher price than NGC. However, As I known MCCM which NGC demand better market and price at this moment.

Hope this help

6. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Below is a table I constructed with data retrieved from NGC and PCGS with respect to the Summer Palace Gate medals.

It shows how different NGC and PCGS are with respect to their grading scores. Grading, a dark science? Heya!

[​IMG]