NGC submission question

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by shibaji, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

I'm just about to send off my first submission to NGC for conservation & grading, so JC8..8's submission form is absolutely brilliant, however I've a couple of Q's (my apologies if these have been answered a thousand times)

1. Internet imaging @ $5 a pop; this isn't ticked on the above sample form, so does this mean they won't take a picture of the coin, or is Internet imaging included in the Modern conservation with grading fee ?

2. I'm sending the silver coins from the UK to USA; are there any import taxes I need to worry about when they hit US customs, or does NGC take care of paying/reclaiming any US import taxes?
    (I appreciate when the graded coins are sent back to me I have to pay UK import taxes... )

Many thanks

2. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

Reggie ,they will record a picture to verify certification look up ,the $5 fee gets you a high resolution picture over the internet , IMHO keep your $5:)

no customs on the way in or out until you get back to the UK:) which I don't have any idea , if you don't put any drugs or bombs in your parcel :):) you will be fine.................

3. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Thanks JC8.8, definitely no drugs or bombs... it may cause toning :)

4. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

And a lot of scratchs
    :)

5. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

The only way I have done it and will ever do it !

6. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

GEEEZ Reggie that sucks if the UK pirate criminals at customs raid your stack............... they're YOUR coins in the first place.

7. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

^ I couldn't agree more with you.

Thankfully there are ways around it, all of them involving much paperwork.

Basically when the coins come back I have to persuade HMRC to charge me VAT on the service NGC provides me, rather than on the value of the coins (I've spent some quality time browsing the HMRC website, received some good info from other UK SS members and downed a lot of coffee since I posted that message :) )

That's the trouble with being a UK based Panda collector... you learn a lot about UK customs law.

8. steve.rsa

steve.rsa Member Silver Stacker

Is there no "repair & return option"? When in South Africa I used this (for non numis purposes). As long as the item going out was the same as the one returning there was basically no import tax/ Vat as it had already been paid.

9. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

^ Yes that's basically the UK process, but we get hit with VAT on the cost of the repair/service, i.e. the NGC charge has UK VAT added to it. I'll know more once I've done it for the first time... I've found it's easier to just do it, rather than try to understand it and then do it :)

10. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Are there any NGC submitees from Australia who can shed light on Australian pirate duties? Is it the same, tax on service provided from NGC... How a government can tax on a service not provided in their country is highly.... imaginative.

11. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Is only in the added value. Is the vat definition. You are lucky.
    here is a very complicated paperwork and you pay tax Or custom papers or others taxes. Is a pain in the ass.
    And the tax is 23% if you have luck or 50% if not.