NGC slabs private mint medals?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverfever, Jun 6, 2012.

1. silverfever

silverfever New Member

I came across this listing on ebay for this Xi Shi Holding a Pearl Bronze Medal as being certified and graded by NGC as MS -68

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-China-...6563706?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item1c27c8ed7a

I remembered that low had stated that this medal was cast by a private mint and not by any of the official 3 chinese mints and I was surprised that NGC would certify a medal from a private medal company.

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-26993-copper-brass-medals-cast-by-the-shanghai-mint.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

3. Unasf

Unasf New Member

Also happened to me a couple of times, I think ngccoin.com gives a no result from time to time.

Maybe we should start a company that slabs slabs, to make sure an NGC or PCGS slab is not fake, just slab it in a bigger outer slab...

4. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Works for me now too but the question remains, according to low this medal is cast by a private mint therefore is NGC slabing medals cast from private mints as well?

5. shibaji

shibaji New Member

How do you know this is case by a private mint ? May be that is a branch of a bigger mint ?

6. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Don't know for sure but low here in this forum who is pretty knowlegable stated that it was minted by a private medal company. I am presuming that he is right.

7. low

low New Member

The details of this Xi Shi medal.

I don't read anywhere that the company has any relationship with the official mint.

Perhaps you can say NGC is pro-active in this medal market, as there are a lot more private medal companies than what the 3 official mint can produced.

There is no such thing as genuine or fake medal if you deal with these medals produced by private medal companies. There are new medals produced by various companies every week, even though the mintage could be low.

The "expert" suggest that one focus on the medals produced by official mint, as the quality of the medals are pretty much guaranteed. It is hard to tell the quality of the medals produced by the private companies, unless you know the engraver and the company well. This type of information is not easy to obtain outside of the medal club, worst so if you rely on the English forum.

Then again, it depends on what you want to achieve with collecting medals.

8. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Thanks for the info low. My feeling is that in order for a particular medal to achieve high resale potential , it has to be slabbed by NGC . Its just my opinion that NGC gives a particular medal some credibility.

9. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Is a very nice medal. But i,think the price is very high (480).

10. low

low New Member

Well, I have no comment if your target is Western buyer. I don't know how well will these medals sell in western market.

From what I read and understand, medal collectors in China are different group than coin collectors. While NGC is famous among the coin collectors (both MCC, and circulation coins), I have yet to read medal collectors talk about grading. Simply said, NGC has not been tested on medal market.

So it could be right, it could be wrong. I don't know. I don't put my money on medal.

11. low

low New Member

Absolutely Thor, $480 is simply crazy asking price, whatever the mintage is.

12. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Hi Thor
    You can buy it raw for $160 and send it to NCS/NGC so all in around $220 inc shipping.:)

13. silverfever

silverfever New Member

I have been following boyblueJAYs auctions with interest and depending on the medal there are opportunities for graded medals.

14. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Have a lot of more know medals with market to buy first.
    ;-)
    With this medal. We dont think the same.
    ;-)

15. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Gorgeous medal as a collector I would definitely purchase this medal now if I was not focused on other things at the moment regardless of where it was minted.

I'm very impressed with the striking detail in this coin and the high grade for a bronze medal.

16. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I use the answer to make my 1000 post here. :)
    But you will pay 480. :)
    I think is a dificult grade to have in a bronze medal. But if i like it and not need the money to buy others mccs. Will buy raw in omp for 120.

17. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

good to see you back comeaux!

18. low

low New Member

The raw brass medal is selling for RMB 550 (or USD $86.45 today's xe.com rate) inside China

The pair (brass + purple copper) is selling for RMB 1100.

That is pretty much current market price in China.

Hi Thor,

Please do not think MS68 is a difficult grade for copper medal. That is a serious misconception.

It could be very true that early copper medal produced by the offical mint are hard to get a 68 grade.

Today's medal collector in China are very fussy about the quality. Perhaps more so than the coin collectors. So a 68 grade for these medals should not be a surprise, and perhaps there are many 70 grade waiting to be discovered.

The last thing I want to see on the medal is, please don't talk varieties. :)

19. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

:)
    Thanks jc888 but I havent gone anywhere ... since I got back from Florida I've been busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest ! I need a vacation from vacation ! :D

Plus the fact I've been focusing and shifting some funds into graded CGC books ... that is where my spare time (what little there is of it) has been lately

20. shibaji

shibaji New Member

Is there a English site that sells these medals internationally ?