NGC Registry/Census questions

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by JDMseaweed, Jan 17, 2015.

1. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

Hi
    Just want to get some clarification to better my understanding.

http://www.ngccoin.com/priceguide/chinese-coin-prices-detail.aspx?ChineseSetID=255

my question is:
    under 'NGC Census details' .. it says total 1362, and if you go accross to MS70 there is 0

However, under 'NGC Registry Score' under MS70 there is 1051

why is it different? shouldn't it be the same figure?

Census tells me there are no MS70, but the registry says there are/ i'm confused

anyone care to shed some light on this
    thanks

2. AgAuSwe

AgAuSwe New Member

The census figure is the number of graded coins, the registry score is just a numerical value a specific grade has in the registry.
    Partly it exist to differentiate placement on the leaderboard within a registry set, but it's also a gimmick knowing people like to chase "high scores" in general.

As to what parameters are used when coming up with said score, and how a score could be set without a single coin in that grade, that's a question I leave for someone else to answer.

3. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

the point system is set by NGC based upon the rarity of the coin , I guess without 1 ms70 graded 1996 ld they are assigning that point value if one was ever graded .the point system is flawed in my humble opinion with over 1300 coins graded one would say it would be a very rare coin worth easily in excess of $3000 usd so to give it a point value only double a ms69???? ...the 1996 sd has about the same amount of graded coins with 39 scoring ms70 its point value is 844 I believe so go figure? the 1996 sd sells for 1500 to 2000 usd