NGC pvc contamination article

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by jc888888888, Nov 10, 2012.

1. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Argh... NGC site under maintenance (for about 15mins) :)

3. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

The improvement in the 1993 guanyin is impressive.

4. satosan

satosan New Member

My question to those that submit coins through NCS/NGC regularly is
    Can NCS remove the WSD/hazing on the silver coins?
    Do they remove toning on silver coins when they are conserved?
    Is it worth conserving the silver coins if the coin does not have any apparent
    WSD/hazing?

I will most likely call NGC tomorrow because I don't understand the $ involved in the NCS process.
    The grading process is pretty straight forward and I've not had any issue there, but, I've never submitted coins
    through NCS.

Thanks

5. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Hello it looks like you are new here so welcome to SS ! This has been covered before here but I will give it a go..
    From my experience with NCS they have never been able to remove white spots or blotches on any coins I have sent although I have noticed some slightly less visible after NCS. Any coins I have sent with "toning " other than white or bluish white has been completely removed and the coins have come back as bright white as the day they were minted ( I think as I was not there when they were minted) . The pricing is fairly straightforward for coins under $300 in value it is $26.50 per coin plus shipping and $8.00 handling fee (per order not per coin) for NCS conservation and NGC grading. Everyone has a different opinion about whether it is worth the conservation. I personally only usually send coins that are 5 or more years old so they tend to be more valuable and most older silver I have seen will start to show at least some toning. So i just pay the extra $10 and usually send all silver coins for ncs and grading, I really do notice a difference in getting back a bright white coin unless there is some other problem like white haze or spots.
    Some people have complained that sometimes NCS does not do anything to the coin and charges anyway . I do not know if this is really true but I remember someone making a big deal of it. Personally if they look at the coin and can not do anything to improve it I would rather not have them do anything as it is a better chance no other slight damage could occur, and I am not really concerned about the extra $10, of course if it was a very expensive coin and it was say $100 for them to do nothing I may be a little upset. Anyway i hope this helps sorry for the long rant.....

6. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

OH you might also want to check out the thread which some members here are experimenting with removing the white spots and seeing if they will still be graded , it will be very interesting to see the results.

7. серебро

серебро New Member

Good example of how the PVC starts to break down with older Pandas in omp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Holy Moley , I have never seen any OMP like that , You might want to sweep a Geiger counter over that...

9. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

My PVC degradation on some Panda OMPs weren't yellow they were purple haha.

The yellow I can understand but purple was a wtf moment for me.

10. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Purple??What the??purple on the OMP or purple on the actual coin or both? that is strange , you should definately sweep a geiger counter over that!
    And I have A Lot to learn..

11. satosan

satosan New Member

Thanks, I did check out the thread you pointed out. I've never had much luck with EZ-est other than removing toning. didn't seem to do much of anything to white spots on RCM stuff. I suppose there is something to the thought that the white spots are pushed into the metal as it flows when the coin is struck. You would think this would show up right away and not after 6 or 7 years though.

12. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

packaging tarnish, can cost a bom :lol:

13. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

You really have to know what is causing the spotting, meaning is it something on the surface/environmental, or is it actually in the metal. The explanation of the white spots/stains from chemical contamination during the minting process is what myself and many others who have contacted NGC/NCS directly have been told by their experts. There's nothing you, any cleaner or NCS can do to remove that type of contamination. There are many threads in the panda forum that discuss grading, conservation, and the dreaded white spots as many of us have had a great deal of experience white them, NGC/NCS and PCGS over the years.