Newcrest Mining (NCM)

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by SilverSanchez, Mar 8, 2012.

1. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

Newcrest up over 15% from the lows of $9
    Hope the way up is smoother than the way down, im not regretting my sale but still believe there is good value for those who got in at the time i was selling, just watch the news flow regarding the disclosure issue (that will go away im sure).

2. Riyder

Riyder New Member

bump,

where to from here

3. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

its back to where it was when I bought into it now to DA MOON

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Newcrest Mining

*Scrapped that... annual production would increase by 1 million ounces over the next four years.

*Newcrest would give no indication where it saw production going beyond this year.

*Production is very much dependent on market conditions. :lol: (Robbo...genius!)

*Manage the business with the objective of neutral or better free cash flow, even if metals prices decline further.

*To June 30, Newcrest produced 2.11 million ounces of gold...lower than the company's 2012-13 gold production of 2.29 million ounces.

*Executive general manager of Australia and Indonesia operations Peter Smith will leave the company. Craig Jones has assumed his responsibilities.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...ds-on-conditions/story-e6frg9do-1226684792325

5. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. Holdfast

7. SilverSanchez

Decresing volume, steady price which has broken the up channel - retest $10?

8. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

SilverSanchez _ can I be as bold as to ask you, over the past year have you actually made some dosh? I mean real dosh$$$$:rolleyes:

I just would like to know for a chap that seems to know a lot about shares, has it paid off? :/ trust me when I say I'm not pulling your leg but just trying to figure out if I should truly consider getting back into stocks in favour of PM's again. I've had no luck in miners at all.... :mad: Of course I will still pick up bargains in PM's along the way however, I'm very tempted to focus more on selected shares? and trade on sharp daily movements only :/ If you can, try and be as truthful as you can in your reply but I also understand if you think this is to personal to answer publically I'll also understand, so maybe you can PM me :cool: I'd love to hear your thoughts.

9. SilverSanchez

The precious metal miners are at a record breaking low compared to bullion prices.
    The miners are selling (some of em) for 3-7 times earnings, global mine supply is coming off while demand remains steady. Comex physical gold stores are way down compared to normal.

The price of silver and gold is 'at the margin' - you could have bought gold and silver under the average cost of production a month ago. The aussie dollar looks like its not going to rally anytime soon.

You're asking me have i made any money over the last year in the most dramatic decline in metal prices in 50 years at the end of a 24 month cyclical bear market? - Of course freakin not! :) what a stupid question to ask a guy who invests on fundamentals and macro trends - im not a trader, im not really interested in profits either - im interested in a mid-long term investment portfolio.

10. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

'At the margin'.......this is the key to the next real and hopefully last downlighting. This is what will break some small players and enable the large ones to gobble them up at bargain basement prices. Just think what a 300 to 400 dollar final push lower will do. Most importantly it will remove the last of the weak hands and set the bottom for the real bull run to begin.....patience please...could take a couple of months....or years...but it will happen......

11. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Oops....down leg not downlighting

12. SilverSanchez

You mean continue - the bull run started when gold broke through 300 USD

as for the mining stocks - they are priced as if the metal is $700 USD (according to John Doody)

13. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

"what a stupid question to ask?" :p it was just a question matey :| and thank you for your honest reply which I asked for, but judging by your straight forwardness reply it's been a tough year sorry to hear that.
    Onwards and Upwards ;)

BTW, I too haven't had a trick on any investment (PM's,shares, or my personal business,) and it bugs me to hear that others are kicking arse, and the economy is rockin :rolleyes: it just doesn't add up :/

I taken the same stance as Gerald Celente "Bull Shit" Bull Shit Bull Shit :lol:

14. SilverSanchez

Im not taking offence, read with a Denis Leary style accent.

My biggest mistake was when I limited my diversification in 2012 metals and stocks both bottomed around the same time an both took of in Nov and Jan - then the metals fizzed.

A mix on the AUD decline and my oil stocks saved my arse.
    Id also had a few free carry stocks (after a smaller stock doubles, i sell half and free carry the rest)

I never wanted to sell NCM, but I got to the point of no return - I sold at a loss when I could still reinvest in other stocks that were way way further down (SLR, EVN, BDR at 50c, PAN @ 21c, ALK @ 30c) so i clawed back some % loss in the averages. I was going to sell down those 'extra shares' last week, but didnt - so im still looking to take some 'profits' on those buys to have some powder if the metals retest the lows in August and drag the stocks with them) if not im loading into ags, nibble at uranium stocks and pump some cash into a few blue chips, and some small oil producers.

15. SilverSanchez

I dont think this really matters but Moody's downgraded Newcrest's credit rating to BAA3 (previously BAA2) as of 29.July

I dont own the bonds, and the debt is already purchased

16. Holdfast

*Standard & Poor's yesterday downgraded Newcrest from BBB to BBB minus, one notch above speculative grade.

*Newcrest has reported the nation's second-biggest corporate loss of $5.78 billion

*Former Lazard chairman Peter Hay has been appointed as non-executive director.

*Hay's position as chairman of the advisory board of Lazard raised some eyebrows in investment circles, given the investment bank advised Newcrest on the Lihir takeover.

*Newcrest's market value is now less than the value of that acquisition, partly because of a series of production disappointments.

*Chairman Don Mercer will be 72, is not up for re-election. The Australian Shareholders Association has called for him to step down.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-board-reshuffle/story-fn91v9q3-1226698070186

17. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Newcrest up over 11% in 2 days so far currently $13.97

18. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

There are some stacked buyers this morning - will there be a spike on the open?

19. Willow

Willow New Member

Was there? Stuck in china and can't see much

20. MyNamesNotBen

MyNamesNotBen New Member

Nope a bit of a sell off on the ASX today. NCM closed flat at $13.74