Newbie question about slabbed Pandas

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by eyeball, Jun 6, 2013.

1. eyeball

eyeball New Member

Is it better or easier to sell a slabbed Panda lets say 2012 or 2013 vs just a BU? I was thinking about the counterfit situation with Pandas. I am getting ready to buy some and was wondering which would be the best way to buy?

Thx

2. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi and welcome!
    Not addressing the slabbed part of the question, the safest way to buy genuine Pandas is through a reputable dealer. Avoid eBay as this is where most of the fakes are resold.

Having a go at the slabbed part, I would say they carry a premium and you would want to stick to the higher grades. IMO, this is a different purpose than only getting an original coin.

3. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi eyeball, in regards to the post 2010 Pandas (i.e. 2011, 2012 and 2013), I personally think it is easy to just go for the BU. But for the Pandas older than 2010, it might be better to get slabbed ones. This way, you are likely to get more bang for your buck.

In regards to phoney Pandas, they do exist, and you will likely encounter some the more you involve yourself in the Panda game, but the fear often doesn't match the reality.

Most fake Pandas are fairly obvious when viewed in person.

A good way to avoid a bad first time experience is to get a graded Panda - or to buy from a reputable source. Then get to know and enjoy your Pandas - you'll then likely be aware of the fakes, but not afraid of them.

4. eyeball

eyeball New Member

Thank you guys saw one the other day and I am hooked? I thought the Lunars and Kooks were nice.. But something about these Bears got my attention....LOL

Thanks for your help guys, going to buy a few 2013's

5. pushingtin

pushingtin Member Silver Stacker

Is it not a case that 2010 - 2013 are just so recent and overpopulated that everyone thinks its ok to by BU rather than slabbed....

What about 20 years from now - surely a MS70 2011 Panda will be worth a heck of a lot more - i think so. Go slabbed IMO.

6. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for your thoughts pushingtin. Indeed, perhaps in just 5years from now, a MS70 2011 will be worth a lot more!

If you can afford to get them slabbed now, I would certainly recommend that too.

Slabbing does provide the benefits of protection and authenticity.

For maximum profit though, it may be worth accumulating a large hoard of the 2011s in BU, and then slabbing them in the future.

7. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

If the 2011 will go for nice uss
    The 2009 and bellow will go for 3x or 4x the 2011

8. Travelgall

Travelgall New Member

I'm nearly at the end of collecting 1987 to current. I'll obviously add one to the collection each year. I'm thinking on getting the lot slabbed as I've felt more comfortable buying the rarer dates slabbed. However there's a cost involved and its a bit of a pain to send them over to the States insured. Is it worth it. The more recent dates I'm certain are genuine as I've bought them from either mints or dedicated Coin sellers only based in the US or Europe. Is it worth my peace of mind to get them slabbed and will I recoup the cost of slabbing in sales prices?

9. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I begin collecting pandas buying only not graded. After it i know the ss and ccf forum and change to ms69 ngc grading coins.
    I have luck with the not graded coins but the cost is the same to buy graded after the shipping and tax costs.
    If you are interested i posted my stadistics here in the forum.msearch for it.