New to the PANDA hunt

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by shano73, Dec 20, 2011.

1. shano73

shano73 Member

Hi Guys,

Ive been reading your forums & guides by Yennus and have done abit of research on the history of these coins and have decided to have abit of fun and start collecting PANDA's.

Now ive got some 1oz Silver PANDA's 2012 on the way......but wouldnt mind grabbing some 2010 & 2011?? to start my collection

So if anyone has any they wish to offload please PM me and we can have a chat.

Also if anyone has any good starting points or ideas for a NEWB collecter/investor (havent made my mind up yet) please feel free to drop me a line, I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Cheers,

Shano73

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the Panda "family" ;)

I've got a sheet (30) of 2010 I'd sell as a whole and around 70+ 2011s for sale here.

Good starting points eh... I guess you should read all the Q&A threads yennus puts up on here, they are good information sources. Also you should get either the Panda book by Peter Anthony or Mr Ge's Modern Chinese coin book as well as pricepedia so you know how much coins are worth in real market prices real time.

Also you should probably look into collecting either original mint packaging pandas or graded (NGC) pandas. Both are equally valid methods of collecting pandas ;)

3. shano73

shano73 Member

Thanks Fishball,

Im probably looking to just grab 5 of each year as a starting point, what do you think?

Also this might sound like a dumb question but if i grab coins that arent graded, can you get them graded here in OZ? If so from who/where?
    Soz not familiar with the grading concept atm, I sorta get the jist that M68, M69 are good and M70 are a license to print $$$ in some circumstances.

I will have a look at some of those books if I can find at coin/book store or of Amazon lol

If your willing to break up 5 x 2010 & 5 x 2011 I would be interested.

PM if your willing, if not I will understand :D:D

Cheers,

Shano

4. kingzac

kingzac New Member

Don't do it! The pandas never let you go.
    I bought one or two and less than 2 months later I have about 10 varieties of ms69s and a hand full of OMP, I can't stop...

5. fishball

I think that's a good strategy, buy some to keep and buy some to flip when prices are higher.

Grading companies such as NGC and PCGS grade coins on a scale of 70. They are both in the US only and you can't grade locally.

Unlikely. You can buy them online though, ask yennus for more information on the panda book I believe he stocks them. Or maggie.

PM sent

6. possum

possum Member Silver Stacker

Same here.

7. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Beware of the pandas. Are very contagious.
    Welcome.
    Two recomendations for a newbie from a newbie (4 four months os collecting pandas)
    1) buy the chinese book or the peter book or both only if you going to collect the 2000 pre years and subscribe the pricepedia.
    2) buy ms69 if you like it or going to make a tao of it or is cheap if compare with omp or capsule only.
    3) the small tao (set) is the 2009/2012 for now
    The next is 2001/2010
    2011/2020
    1991/2000

I have duplicates of some years. Is posible i will make a few auctions in the next days if i have the time.

8. shano73

shano73 Member

9. fishball

10. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Take this advice before buying anything :)

Use the book and monthly newsletters to work out your panda strategy. Study what each coin looks like and the subtle differences in varieties (eg: microdate/smalldate/largedate), as knowing these things will save you from overpaying and also help to firm up your buying strategy.

The LBC lists (lots of them are linked from this forum) are also very good for information. There are also Chinese Coin Forums which are excellent for info.

Pandas really have their own sub-culture. If you have the time to spend doing research then I am sure you will find them to be very rewarding.

11. shano73

shano73 Member

Thanks Fishball & Anthony,

Yep just subscribed to site, so will be doing a fair bit of reading/ research.

Trust me Id never jump in without doing research, especially the graded coins etc, so thankyou :)

Your help and feedback is always appreciated, so keep it coming.

Also if I PM some of you guys with pestering questions, please dont take offence :) :)

Cheers,

Shano73

12. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Make your mind up, are you a collector or investor ?

As both have different approaches and reasons. Without having a clear idea you can be spending a lot of time and effort on things rather than focusing on achieving a certain goal.

In saying that there is nothing wrong with having a dual strategy, but make sure you know what those strategies are.All of us would be doing it with a view to make some money, the question is how much ?

Collector - Grades are not as important, completing a set is the goal. However you may look to complete a set of MS69 etc... You may look for slabbed or OMP so your buy prices should be significantly less than the investor. A MS67 in a semi rare Panda could be more than suitable as a hole filler. Yet an investor may balk unless it is a very rare date.

Investor - Target key coins and grades with rarity being the objective. Larger initial investment. Generally looking for MS70 grades 2009 and before. Mintage numbers would be your research and varieties are part of it.

Clear goal, clear outcome :)

13. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

BIG3 strategy :) that's my favouite play :)

14. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

The LBC lists are actually the best information, but I might be biased ;)

15. shano73

shano73 Member

Another question?.........

Can anyone provide a list of reputable dealers, either from the SS forum or external to deal with?

Ive seen quite alot on Ebay, but am very wary :)

So far I've dealt with Fishball & Maggie :) :) very helpful ppl

Cheers,

Shano73

16. fishball