New to stacking

Discussion in 'Silver' started by pastmaster2011, Jan 22, 2019.

1. pastmaster2011

pastmaster2011 New Member

Hello all I am new to stacking and have lots of questions. My first question is what is the most over spot would someone pay for a silver eagle ?

2. Bciowner

Bciowner New Member

Do not pay more than 2.50 USD over spot. There are tons of websites out there that have deals all the time.

DavidRich likes this.
  3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the forums.

I once paid nearly 100% over spot for ordinary production Eagles, nothing fancy.

In my defense, I was buying something I had never bought before in a foreign currency, and it was on an eBay auction, so someone else was willing to pay nearly 99% over spot. I have an excuse, I have no idea why they wanted to pay so much.

After years of buying Junk silver Australian coins for below spot, the exchange rate between Australia and the USA actually changed in Australia's favour and US goods (which are expensive in Australia) became even cheaper to get from eBay.

So I took my spreadsheet and altered it to work for the American eagles, but I linked to the wrong cell and instead of linking to the spot price of $15, I linked to the number of grams in a troy Oz, 31.1.

So when I did my calculation of what to bid to get it at spot, it gave me a number twice as big, which being pure silver and a whole tube and American Eagles, three firsts for me, looked expensive but legit.

I got it for less than I was willing to bid, so I guess I win...

Anyway soon as spot hits $36 I get to break even again (as I did in 2011)

Ivykoin likes this.
  4. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the forum!

5. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

G'Day and Welcome.

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the forum!

7. DavidRich

DavidRich Member

I would not pay more than $2.50. I have been monitoring prices for long time and buying ASEs from Provident is the best variant. And today I've gotten a mail from International Currency LLC, they offer 2019 ASE for $15.95 (unfortunately 1 per customer)

8. pastmaster2011

Thanks for the replies and all that welcomed me to the site. I have purchased some silver eagles at or below $2.50 with free shipping. But when you add in the credit card fee it usually brings it up over $2.50. Now I only use the CC for convenience reasons and never pay any interest. So do you guys figure the CC fee into the premium ? or should I only look at the premium over spot only ?

9. DavidRich

DavidRich Member

CC fees don't go into premium, they go separately and on each website are different

10. DavidRich

DavidRich Member

and if you buy in bulk you should look at the field "as low as", like on this website - price comparison for minimal purchase and as low as https://trustedpmdealers.com/compare-prices/1-oz-2019-american-eagle-bu-silver-bullion-coin-999

Ivykoin likes this.
  11. pastmaster2011

DavidRich No I do not buy in bulk at this time, I have a budget of $100.00 per month which allows me around five ounces a month which is not a lot but over time the stack will grow. All the videos I have watched says you need to decide what type of stacker you are and basically I am only doing this to preserve wealth and someday pass it onto my kids. I really have no intent on ever selling any of my stack

12. DavidRich

DavidRich Member

oh I see

13. whay

whay Well-Known Member

If you are doing this to preserve wealth over long term, stack only gold forget silver.

14. Alloy

Alloy Active Member

Three bucks max. $2.50 or less if you can get it, obviously. The US Mint charges a fixed $2.00 over spot per Eagle to its authorized purchasers, regardless of volume ordered, so you're doing well to get it at $2.50. (Most dealers are not US Mint authorized purchasers, so they're buying from APs or other wholesalers or dealers.)

To answer your other question on credit cards, I talk about this a bit in my price comparison article. The short answer is don't use a credit card, and if you must, use a cash back card.

(I also compare prices on the Eagle in that article – BOLD Precious Metals had the lowest prices. That TrustedPMDealers website that David Rich posted doesn't actually include the best dealers – the dealers with the best prices. In America, they are SD Bullion, Silver.com, and BOLD. See more in the article and the spreadsheet.)