New to stacking. Do I have too much in ASE?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by blahblah22, Feb 16, 2019.

1. blahblah22

blahblah22 New Member

Hi, I just started stacking 2 months ago.
    90% of my stack is in ASE.
    I have some Maples (2%) and the rest generics in bars and rounds (Sunshine, Braitannia, Silvertowne, Scottsdale, etc.)

I've read if we need to travel abroad with the silver, the valuation of the stack would be based on face value.

Should I diversify more? Get some other govt issued? Get more generics for lower premiums?

2. whay

whay Well-Known Member

Apparently you haven't done much travel outside your country.
    Only two things matter - the weight and purity of the metal.
    Whatever is stamped on the coin only interest the collectors.

3. blahblah22

blahblah22 New Member

Sorry, I meant in terms of declaring the value of items/currency at customs.

4. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I noticed that the Singapore market is more "brand conscious", so I've stacked only branded bars like RCM, Heraeous and PM bars. I thought that in the long run, if silver prices were to rise substantially, the small premium will be more than recovered by the appreciation, and it will also be easier to sell branded bars than generic ones.

A question, why don't the US mint make bars?

5. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The US mint doesn’t actually want to sell silver. They have to make the ASE available by law. This is why they rarely (if ever) make them in other sizes. They will not make a bar. As they can get their head around rectangles, and they would only ever do it as legal tender. They won’t do non legal tender items either.

Bullion_ron likes this.
  6. slavaja

slavaja Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why won't US mints want to sell silver?

7. FLYBOY

FLYBOY New Member

Most of My stack is in the form of government issued rounds which has some short of FV. This would seem to make it much more easier and trusted if I ever needed to sell back for fiat or even trade for goods if there was ever a need to do so. The rest of my stack is old pour bars and high Premium pieces...hell if stacking why not stack some nice stuff too and stuff you like :) I have very little Generic stuff but again when you can add weight to your stack for cheap who wouldn't? Last put of my Stack is Junk silver...I don't have a lot of it probably around $250-300 FV 90%SILVER...I like having this as its real easy to sell as there's normally a high demand for it and also if we are ever in a place in our livers where we have to use metals for goods and services the JUNK SLIVER is different sizes and even smaller then a .9999 round so this fact it would make trades easier...I personally don't know if I believe we will ever be there as I don't think the governments would ever let that happen they in my mind would figure out something a new system or some kinda reset but who am I to say one way or the other. I just like know I have something to fall back on in any situation that may arise!

For starting stacking 2 months ago it seems like you already have some great stuff! keep it up its a lot of fun and you can get some amazing things out there! Also, you can never go wrong with diversifying in anything you do in life when it deals with some form of money...that's what PM's are a form of money! you do know Britannia's are not generic and indeed government issued and have a FV ?

8. blahblah22

blahblah22 New Member

Oh, I have a few bucks in FV of pre-64 dimes and quarters as well.

Sorry, should have specified. The britannia I have is a bar like this:
    https://www.jmbullion.com/10-oz-bri...nDQr-k_f4ZQZ-geB35FTXcf3V7hTzzABoC6RkQAvD_BwE

9. blahblah22

blahblah22 New Member

And you're right, it's fun... I have some Tuvalu Marvel coins I paid way over spot just because I'm a fan.

10. Ian Gillman

Ian Gillman Active Member

It really does not matter, it is difficult to go wrong as long as you get it for near(ish) to spot and do not get fakes. Just keep in mind that whatever you get you will have to sell at the other end so make it something that people will want to buy. ASE's are easy to sell as they are very recogisable.

11. Bullion_ron

Bullion_ron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Possibly because they are not on the Gold Standard anymore?

12. whay

whay Well-Known Member

Pray tell, who is?

13. FLYBOY

FLYBOY New Member

Have to agree with the above ASE'S are very well known everywhere and easy to sell if needed....I for one am hoping I never have to sell off anything and can pass it on to the kid's. They have stuff set aside for them also but hoping I can pass it all down to them is the goal :)

14. FLYBOY

FLYBOY New Member

nobody is lmao...the worst mistake ever made was taking us off it!

Bullion_ron likes this.
  15. FLYBOY

FLYBOY New Member