New MEMBERSHIP ...

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by Yippe-Ki-Ya, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Actually there's only one new membership level - "Silver Stacker".

The rest have been in existence for some time, I've just formalised the names for them, and finally gotten around to enforcing the trading restriction on brand new members in the forum software.

People have been asking privately for a long time how they can contribute to Silver Stackers, and I'm on record in a number of places on the forum declining to put up a "donation button" or other similar handout request - the forum's immediate funding needs are generally met by advertising revenue, and the odd promotion like the swap challenge.

That said, the forum takes up an incredible amount of my personal time, and has so for the last two years.

So rather than the hodge-podge offers of people asking how they can contribute, or me shaking the can asking for handouts, I've introduced a new optional premium membership for individuals - the "Silver Stacker". This comes with access to the new Trading Floor trading forum that was created a few days ago - essentially an exclusive trading forum for trading between premium members, and some early access to special offers that will be coming from site advertisers (now known as Premium or Platinum Sponsors).

The "Member" group is exactly the same as what every free member is today - the only changes are the "Silver Stackers, Silver Stackers+, Silver Stackers++" etc titles that were based on number of posts are replaced with "Member, Member+, Member++" titles, and the number of posts allowed in the Buy, Swap and Sell forums reduced from 15 posts to 10 posts in a 30 day period (so basically a trade every 3 days on average - far above what most members perform).

Quick summary:

New Member - "probationary" membership for first 7 days to help weed out the spammers
    Member - normal membership, automatically upgraded after 7 days
    Silver Stacker - premium membership for increased trading privileges
    Site Sponsor - optional paid membership for dealers with unrestricted trading privileges
    Premium Sponsor - site advertiser with a banner ad or sponsor forum
    Platinum Sponsor - site advertiser with a banner ad AND sponsor forum

The only new membership level here is the Silver Stacker, and it's entirely optional for private individuals. The only "loss" in functionality on the forum for members who remain a free member is a reduction in the number of trading posts in a 30 day period. The very few users impacted by this change who are frequent traders are simply encouraged to take out the appropriate level of membership to contribute to the otherwise free trading platform that they've been utilising. Silver Stacker membership is aimed at individuals, not dealers - the new Trading Floor forum is just a bonus to recognise the contribution that these members make to the forum, I think it's only fair that they get a little extra recognition for contributing than just a different user title.

Further details are available at the link you posted (which is the "Advertising" link visible on every page of the forum). It was soft-launched yesterday - I wasn't going to jump up and down making a hoopla about it and promote it - rather members who reach their trading limits would be notified about the options on attempting to post new trading threads, only as it happens.

There's a number of users who have made recent ad-hoc donations to the forum, I'm still working back through my PMs to identify them to assign an appropriate level of membership based on their donation, and there's two private users who have taken out paid Site Sponsor status that I need to contact to work out the appropriate details with.

3. goldpelican

...actually having just faced the ~3000 messages in my inbox, it might help if members who have recently sent donations that don't already see their membership status updated to Silver Stacker to send me a gentle reminder :)

There's a number of members who donated prizes back in February from one of the competitions that this will cover.

4. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

3000 messages wow better you than me

5. col0016

col0016 Active Member

I like that it is priced in silver so that you don't lose out to inflation xD
    It will suck when it is $500 an oz though lol.

6. Apollo

Apollo New Member

...another reason to buy up big on 1oz denominations whilst the price is low :)

7. goldpelican

I'm conscious of the "inflation creep", and it can be addressed in future when affordability/value of money starts being impacted.

8. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I was wondering about that i was thinking if silver hits 150 oz you would be doing ok .Was about to applaud your entrepenuerial skills .Had a mental picture of you GP rolling in silver while we were all at work :p:

9. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

GP will be rolling in long grass not silver, he won't have time to mow his lawn.