New information on the source of milk spots and hazing

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I'm by no means an expert in the history of either subject matter, but from my obversations I've noticed an influx of milk-spots starting in the 1980's, and only getting worse from there.

While at the same time, I've also noticed an influx of more-frequent higher grades (a lot more 69+) of coins starting in that same decade.

That's not to say you can't find a stray milk-spotted coin from the 1970's, or a great grade of one minted prior to 1980 -- just that there's a pretty noticeable upswing of both, beginning in the '80s.

I don't believe it's a coincidence.

And to answer your other question, no, not all old silver coins have a patina.

I've seen plenty of obviously "dipped" ones, perhaps from using a product like this..

[​IMG]

And these older dipped coins do not have milk-spots (nor does the product remove them).

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Interesting video around a ranking on coins and spotting. One guess which was the worst? Lol

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOzcyJ0ncf8[/youtube]

3. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interested to know, if you melted ten Canadian maples, all heavily milk spotted, into a sold bar, would the bar "milk spot up" ?
    Also, if you took a one once Canadian maple leaf round, covered in milk spot, and heated to 1,750 f, would the milk spots be gone, ....... forever ?