New Documentary: Klondike Gold Rush

Discussion in 'Gold TV' started by ozcopper, Apr 24, 2013.

1. ozcopper

ozcopper Administrator Staff Member

Klondike Gold Rush - History Documentary hosted by Rob Jarvis, published by National Geographic in 2013

The Klondike Gold Rush was an event of migration by an estimated 100,000 people prospecting to the Klondike region of north-western Canada in the Yukon region between 1896 and 1899. It's also called the Yukon Gold Rush, the Last Great Gold Rush and the Alaska Gold Rush. Of the 30,000 that arrived in the Klondike, only approximately 4,000 actually found gold. Some set up and sold claims rather than digging for gold themselves. Along the Klondike River, boom towns formed that were supported by the miners. Those that found gold spent their time and money in saloons, while those that found nothing continued to labour. In 1899, miners received news that gold had been discovered in Nome and that it was much easier to get, causing the departure of the majority of the miners and the decline of the boom towns.

2. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Now thats what you call a gold rush.

Read a book from the library about the Klondike gold rush.

A few interesting points I remember was the traders that used to finance the men on the way to the field.

Another was a miner who on reaching the fields found that all the best claims made were long gone..Being a surveyor he found some pegs were in the wrong place and he subsequently made a claim 100yards long and one yard wide..The amount of gold he won from this small patch of land easily made him a rich man!

Thanks Ozcopper for posting. I will have a look at the video when I get time. I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Regards Errol 43

PS. The hardship experienced by the eager gold seekers can only be described as brutal.