New A$ Hedged Gold Bullion ETF on the ASX

Discussion in 'Gold' started by betashares, May 20, 2011.

1. betashares

betashares New Member

I work for BetaShares Capital, an Australian Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) issuer, and I wanted to introduce our new gold product to the members of the Silver Stackers forum.

We have just listed Australia's first currency hedged Gold Bullion ETF (ASX Code: QAU). Backed by physical bullion held by JPMorgan Chase in their London vault, the product allows investors to obtain physical gold exposure as simply as buying any share on the ASX. Also, the product is currency hedged, so for the first time investors can obtain "pure" exposure to the price of gold without worrying about fluctuations in the AUD/USD exchange rate.

As members of this forum are well aware, the impact of currency movement has had a dramatic impact on returns from gold for Australian investors. For example, over the past two years, an unhedged gold exposure would have returned about 5% per year, whereas the U.S. spot price has returned about 28% per year. The new hedged Gold ETF (QAU) aims to track the U.S. spot price of gold so if gold rises from US$1,500 to US$1,650, the ETF should rise 10% too.

For more information on the product see:
    BetaShares Gold Bullion ETF (A$ Hedged) product factsheet http://cms.betashares.com.au/cms-admin/_images/15064565924dbfe036038b4.pdf
    BetaShares Gold Bullion ETF (A$ Hedged) product brochure http://cms.betashares.com.au/cms-admin/_images/12370788944dc09e6654530.pdf

Or feel free to contact me via this forum, PM me, or call 1300 487 577

I would be very interested to hear members feedback

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Disclosure: I work for BetaShares Capital, an issuer of Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs), including Australia's first A$ Hedged Gold Bullion ETF
    These views are my own and not the views of BetaShares

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing, I have been meaning to reply to your email!

3. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

"the ETF should rise 10% too"

Can you give an example where this wouldnt be the case?

4. 2ds

2ds New Member

You're trying to sell a piece of paper on this forum that is backed by PM that is held in a JPM vault?

Really?

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate being informed and it seems like a good thing but... couldn't you have the gold stored somewhere more reputible?

We've all heard about the gold "lending" practices that take place in these vaults.

5. betashares

betashares New Member

hiho,
    As set out in the product disclosure statement (PDS), the investment objective of the fund is to provide investors with a return that tracks the performance of the price of gold bullion, with a currency hedge against movements in the AUD/USD exchange rate, before fees and expenses. So fees and expenses are one reason for a potential divergence between the investment objective and the actual performance. Also, like with any hedged product, there is no assurance that the currency hedging strategy will perfectly offset the actual fluctuations in the AUD/USD exchange rate

Please see the product disclosure statement (PDS) for further information on these points.

6. betashares

betashares New Member

2ds,
    Under the terms of the custody agreement with JPMorgan, they are not permitted to lend the gold, or otherwise deal with it in any way.

Please note that while I will endeavour, from time to time, to respond to certain posts, for compliance reasons I will be unable to do so on a regular basis. I would encourage those interested to refer to the BetaShares website and/or to contact BetaShares directly on the customer service line (1300 487 577).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Disclosure: I work for BetaShares Capital, an issuer of Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs), including Australia's first A$ Hedged Gold Bullion ETF

7. Nukz

Nukz New Member

Just a question regarding this ETF you have said that it will be tracking the price of gold in USD but in the fact-sheet it says you will be using currency forwards(i assume futures contracts) to price in AUD. So a rise in the price of gold in USD(USDX lower) will generally mean a higher AUD thus gold lower when priced in AUD.

Will this product reflect prices in AUD or USD? getting exposure to gold priced in USD sounds nice.

8. betashares

betashares New Member

Nukz,
    The product aims to give investors exposure to the returns of the price of USD gold bullion, before fees and expenses.

Please see the product disclosure statement (PDS) for further information.

9. Nukz

Nukz New Member

Thanks for the fast reply, will take a look later sounds interesting.

10. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

jungfraujock,

This is an informational thread from the issuer of a new ETF on the Australian Stock Exchange - please keep comments in this thread constructive.

Thank you.

11. theiain1

theiain1 Member

Thanks betashares.

As a raving AUD and Gold bull, i've been waiting for this for the past 4-5 years.

I did find some USD Gold exposure in a Deferred Purchase Agreement, which has done very well, but I will definitely be looking at this.

I read an article in the AFR a few months ago about this but I swear it suggested that ETF Securities was the one doing it, i emailed them and got no info.

Anyway, thanks again for letting us know.

12. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

Like the Perth Mint? I couldn't agree more :p

Be nice to the betashares guy, silverstackers - probably not aware that JPM does not have a good reputation with many "bugs".