New 2015 $2 coin being released this monday, red colored coin ????

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Theox, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No need, google 'seigniorage'

No need, the coins only cost a couple of cents to produce, you pay $2 for them. Even if they cost 50 cents each, they still make 300% profit on each one, and you can't buy just one, you have to buy five of them and you are strongly encouraged to buy a pack of each. so for an initial outlay of $5 they just got you to pay $15 and the $10 postage goes to another branch of the Gov (did they use Australia Post, can't remember)

I got my three sets (and the counterstamped one I accidentally ordered)

I could have ordered a few more sets I guess as I am sure they will go up in value but I am also pretty sure that it won't be long until the RAM is making coloured $2 for all sorts of things and the initial interest in coloured coins will drop.

What are we looking at so far?

2012 1 coin 'Remembrance'
    2013 1 coin 'Coronation'
    2014 1 coin 'Remembrance'
    2015 2 coins 'Remembrance' and 'Lest we Forget'
    2016 3 coins? 4?

Next up, something for 'Australia Day' or have they got that covered with the 50 cents?

It would be nice if they limited the $2 coloured coins to just 'Remembrance' themes but as they have already started covering other events it might just explode the same way the commemorative $1 coins did.

The coins cost us $3 each but even if we just pulled them out of circulation it would still cost us $2 per coin. They are releasing how many? 2 million? So that's $4 Million dollars of money that will most likely never reach or stay in circulation. $4 million (-costs) of profit just like that. And maybe due to 'demand' they will make 3 million of the coins (the initial mintage from RAM for the ATSISTSISIS 50 cent coins was 2 million and they ended up making 3 million).

So I would expect to see lots of other offers for Rolls and Mint baggies and the like, the sorts of things that look more like profiteering than showing respect for the fallen soldiers or commemorating the occasion. If you really wanted to commemorate the occasion you would make a lot more than 2 million and you would release them at every bank in every state so that everyone could get a memento of the occasion. This 'limited' release is a good way of getting the secondary value of coins to go through the roof as everyone tries to put aside a nest egg or an investment for the future, all hoping to be able to profit from our fellow collectors who were not lucky enough to know about the RAM's offer in time.

And all the bank staff grabbing the bags and putting them up on eBay for ridiculous mark-ups! I hope they manage to put an end to that practice. You can't blame the bank staff for wanting to make a bit extra on the side but ethically it is shady at best.

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Head/tails is the best.

You can see the year of the coin on one side and the design on the other. Collectors will pay extra for that, or at least, they will try and get a discount if it is anything different.

Say you have a RAM roll, heads/heads. You have the date on both ends of the roll. Say in that year, the RAM made 2 million commemorative and 10 million normal coins. If you only have the dates how do you know which you have? How do you prove it without opening the roll?

I guess it made more sense in the olden days when they rolled everything. Now they just roll the special commemoratives so you should be fine, however old habits die hard and h/t are still the most sought after.

3. Downies

Downies New Member

We had a few hundred of them but they are moving along consistently, especially since we have no order restriction on them :)

4. Askari

Askari Active Member Silver Stacker

Has anybody here experienced any issues with ordering the 5-coin bag from the RAM? A colleague of mine placed an order in October, which has still not been dispatched. Money was paid, but order status remains 'open'. He has left a couple of voicemails and written an email, but didn't get a response. Any advice on getting this issue sorted out? Thanks

5. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

All mine arrived at least 2 weeks ago. Just give it a few days and they should get around to responding.

6. Eliassamaha

Eliassamaha Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Had the same issue

Wrote them a email they responded and sent them

7. Askari

Askari Active Member Silver Stacker

Ok, thanks. I'll advise him to send another email and wait a few more weeks.

8. chrisee

chrisee New Member

Hi I have a 2013 purple $2 Armaguard roll I purchased from a bank and busted it open and it contained 21 x 2013 $2 purple coins and 4 x 2013 $2 elder coins. Security companies do mix coins.

9. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

They comes in a drum.... Sometimes some contamination happens...
    Do these guys really CARES????

Plus Not suppose to break the roll....
    All values are hold in Roll, loose coins are much cheaper compare to roll

10. Prospector Stone

Prospector Stone Member

My Aunt works at Prosegur, upon showing her 8 rolls of newly purchased orange larks she told me that it is unlikely that they would all be the same coin.
    I figured if you are selling them as a roll it wouldn't matter. Always a risk involved in purchasing a security roll I guess.
    I am really tempted to crack one open though...

11. SULLA

SULLA Member Silver Stacker

I have recently received a few orange Prosegur head / head rolls.
    When opened all were orange coins.

The way these coins are delivered from the RAMINT suggests that most will be the same; except for the first and last rolls.

The purple Coronation coin, I believe was unique in that it was initially released mixed with the 2013 standard $2 coin (Aborginal Elder),
    in both bags and rolls. That mix was due to the way the RAMINT supplied the coins to the security companies - mixed.
    It was much later that bags and rolls appeared with the one (purple) coin in them. Rolls of the 2013 std $2 were very rare on eBay and
    less than a few were offered and sold although 35 million were minted.

Initially bags had as few as 3 Purples and as many as 17 Purples in them. Later all 25 were Purple.
    Two friends and I managed to accumulate about 10,000 of the purple coin between us back in mid 2013 when it was released, and any
    rolls or bags I did open confirmed that all were Purple.
    One of this group still has an unopened Armarguard "sack" which contains 40 bags of 25
    mixed 2013 $2 coins - both Coronation and standard Aboriginal Elder!

With the early release I opened all rolls and bags and sorted the Purples from the std.
    With the later release I did not open rolls and bags as I was confident that all were Purple.

Plain Poppy

I think the eBay seller is being fair in his description. However, I would write to him and ask him why he has that view.
    I have no experience with PP when it was first released. I do recall there was a re-release maybe after the Coronation was released.

I do not understand the "fuss" and prices being fetched and asked for the plain poppy coin rolls and bags.
    It has a mintage of 5.8 million!! It is not a rare coin when compared to other recent $2 releases including 2011 standard $2
    (1.75M) and 2012 std $2 (at 5.9M).

I have returned hundreds of this plain poppy in UNC back into circulation due to the high mintage when compared to the
    other non-standard (coloured) $2 coins, which have a max mintage of 2 million and as low as 1/2 million for red poppy
    (not a truly circulated coin as it was sold via the RSL for a $10 donation) and .995 million for the purple 2013 Coronation coin.

I think it is a temporary fad! And prices will fall!

There is no way I would pay $250+ for the plain poppy with its mintage of 5.8 million!

The red ANZAC $2 will be a much better buy with proposed mintage of 1.5 million!
    In fact this coin could turn out to be the "world beater" due to its historical appeal (100 years of ANZAC), initial popularity due to extremely high
    media coverage and low mintage.

In my woods banks had signs posted "WE DO NOT NOT HAVE THE RED $2 COIN, SO PLEASE NOT ASK!"

:)

12. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

10,000??? Wow!!!

13. SydneySilver

SydneySilver Member

14. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I should probably keep this myself, but I didn't know as I have only recently got into precious metals...

Over the past 18 months I've probably received at least 10-15 of these $2 coins just as change from shopping - so it seems I should have kept them?

Not sure which ones exactly, but I've had plenty of $2 coins with red circles in them and just spent them normally as I wasn't aware our legal tender every day coins would be worth more than their face value :(

Guess I should keep them from now on if I get any again!

15. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah definitely put them aside, and if you have some 2x2 coin holder, you can put them in there.

$2 coloured coin has perform very well. The higher return is found in roll/bag, but you can still make $1 or $2 from the circulated ones and that's a good 50-100% return.

16. TasAg

TasAg Active Member

17. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks bloomst, I'll def put them aside from now on - that's if I ever get any again

Keep learning something new every day I'm here :)