NEW 2012 SILVER KOALA BULLION COIN FEATURES 'BERLIN BEAR' PRIVY MARK

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by switchtronics, Apr 2, 2012.

1. switchtronics

switchtronics Active Member

What does everyone think of this coin?

The 2012 Australian Koala Privy Mark coin was released in February at the 2012 World Fair of Money in Berlin. Its reverse portrayal of a koala asleep on a tree branch incorporates a Privy Mark depicting the Berlin bear - a symbol of German's capital city-state.

Issued as Australian legal tender, each silver coin is struck from 99.9% pure silver and presented in a protective acrylic capsule. Standard 2012 Australian Koala silver bullion coins are also available in 1 kilo, 10oz, 1oz and 1/2oz sizes. No mintage limit for 12 months.

A maximum of 50,000 2012 silver koala privy coins will be released worldwide

2. switchtronics

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/3949_koala-privy-1oz-silver-bullion-coin-obverse-l_2012.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

3. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Really really boring and not worth buying is what i think

4. Precious50

Precious50 New Member

Jules,

Thanks for the nice image of my fave Aussie fluffball! I think it is a no-brainer - I'll be buying an armfull, if I can get them! They are the same price as the regular Koala but will be worth more in years to come due to the privy mark and limited mintage. How much more I know not. If you are predisposed to paying hikes of premiums for the Aussie bullion coins instead of a bit above spot for the cast bars then these privy Koalas are the bees knees methinks. I've never undertsood why the poor little koala isn't as popular as the kanga and I suppose Perth Mint has wondered this too. This privy coin may be a repsonse to that question simply to boost koala's stature - who knows. As far as Aussie bullion coin buying goes though, it looks like the best current choice to me!

Incidentally, I've just noticed I am recording NO trades to the left here! I've actually had 7 or 8 trades with stackers here. Anyone know where my trades have gone?

Cheers, P50

5. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Privys have never got a premium in this country
    Maybe in Germany
    But I ain't touching them

6. Precious50

Precious50 New Member

Hi Spanner,

We learn something new every day! I wasn't aware of that, I thought the opposite so I must stand corrected if you are sure about that. I always thought that the privy mark stood for something special and/or limited. I can't see any reason to avoid them though - surely they would AT LEAST have the future value of a regular koala or kanga, especially with the limited mintage? Cheers, P50

7. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

there is one privy to bring down the prices of all privy, the dragon lion privy :p

8. spannermonkey

Have a look on fleebay ,some people ask drug money for them ,but they never sell ,
    Kooks with privys never sell for any more
    This is the first koala I've seen with a privy
    Too much crap from PM coming out
    What next a color koala :lol:

9. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

Ok fist I don't like privy marks on coins. I think its just a way of churning out more coins without technically messing with the mintage numbers.
    Second what are the privy marks, how do they get chosen and how do they link with the original coin? Could the berlin bear have been a berlin beer privy?
    (sorry if i've hijacked i just don't get the privy thing, and i'll confess to accidently buyind a couple due to lack of attention to the detail.)

10. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I personally never like the koala BU coins esp 2012. The design is not very nice at all.
    If you can get the spot, worth to buy I suppose.

11. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

Spanner monkey is on the money. No premium in Aust.
    I would even go as far as to say worth less than no privy.
    1996 privy kooks a good example.
    Did not like them then or now.
    But I have a few non privy kook sets.

12. switchtronics

I personally think the koala is struggling. Hence the limited mintage to try and get people to rush in and buy. Based on low premium returns on previous koalas probably not wise to load up, but low mintaged sales may return a quick opportunity to flip whilst there is hipe? Probably best return if offered to international buyers?

13. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Koala mintage is unlimited, but privvy is not savvy

14. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Almost as exciting and in demand as the 2011 Koala Berlin Privvy which, Y A W N went so much under the radar it seems no one ever remembers it being realised.. i just remembered being very uninterested around this time last year then thought of thr 2011 privvy..

Its not only that they end up being less wanted than the non-privvys .... its that you usually are being sold they are limited and being charged extra due to its (Cough) numismatic nature.

Stick with the bullion dragons (around $34 each, buffalos, ases, frational scottsdale, kooks and lunar, older koalas, taku turtles, liberatads near spot.) Stay clear of canadian mint and nz silver ferns as milk spots will destroy premiums.

Bars - PM or Suisse, SS bars - ABC, morgan and Scottsdale seem very hard to move.. ABC cos they are ugly and morgan scottsdale due to recent fake scares and consensus bars are a little thugly.

Oh.. last advice for this thread.. stay away from Pre decimal stuff.. especially US and Candaian junk and post 45 aussie stuff... very hard to move and premiums dont rise on these inlign with 999 fine when spot price goes up.. esp Morgans and peace dollars which are in hindsight to bad ways to park up money.. 999 anything has been better for me by around 25% or more.

If you want to spend premiums, get the older kangaroos for around $40 each.

15. SULLA

SULLA Member Silver Stacker

I do not understand why Australia coins would even consider a non- Australian privy.
    Now to keep the Bavarian Lion company we have a Berlin bear!

WTF??

Seems that PM is just sucking up to the Germans with this junk!

Look what's happended to the 1 oz Dragon since the Bavarian Lion privy was released.
    Can't sell these things for much over issue price!

All that PM has done is devalue a very strong coin in the eyes of collectors and by doing
    so have bruised/bashed their own reputation.

What's next?

A Dusseldorf duck?

16. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree with your more...

The PM is really destroying the short-medium and long term collectability of its Dragon releases and they are also jeoparising the whole Lunar series through this blatant money chasing.. they have crossed the line in terms of over supplying the market and i doubt too many would disagree with me when i say the Perth Mint alone has flooded the market (not to mention the others)... I maintain the Perth Mint will see a heavy backlash from this as the secondary market for their prodcut suffers price errosion as consumers drop perth mint product and invest/collect other mints offerings that have maintained through ingritity through all the dragon price gouging..

Im still interested to know why the 1/2 dragon is selling at a premium to the 1/2 koala? I was under the impression these both carried the same RRP? I stopped buying dragons after the fiasco with the 1 oz bullion.. which in hindsight was a total waste of time given what has happened since. TBH i have lost a bunch of enthusiam for 1oz PM silver since then... might stick to bars now and old skool numismatics and new "limited offerings" are just way to fickel and dependant on a mint having intergrity.. something i can not rely on.

1for1

17. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

2011 - Looks like there is something unsavoury taking place between the 2 pictured marsupials
    2012 - Pictured marsupial has had a hard night of drinking?

Seriously, the Koala designs of recent years are ordinary. IMHO.

18. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Some people have posted that the privy is popular in Europe, well all the one's I've seen listed are being sold for significantly less than the 'original' coin. This years Lunar Dragon as an example, the non-privy version is Aus$28 more expensive than the privy version.

Personally I think the privy looks horrible, it's an afterthought, and detracts from the coin design.

Plus why the heck did they have to call these marks a privy? For those of us who's humour hasn't matured as much as our bodies, It makes reading these posts very difficult.

privy/priv/
    Noun:A toilet located in a small shed outside a house or other building; outhouse.
    Synonyms:
    adjective. private - secret - confidential - clandestine - occult
    noun. toilet - lavatory - water closet - closet - restroom

19. spannermonkey

:lol: :lol:
    So PM Privy = [​IMG]
    :lol:

20. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

now thats a big one wonder if it hurt?