Need some advice/opinion from the experts!

Discussion in 'Sovereigns' started by K1W1AU55IE, Jan 22, 2015.

1. K1W1AU55IE

K1W1AU55IE New Member

Hi, I am a newbie to this site. This is only my 3rd posting, as I have started "lurking" in the background.... reading other posts for a few of weeks before I decided to join up.
    My question is.... Does anyone know about "Shield Sovereign Collections"?? I have a friend who is thinking of selling this collection, as I was wondering what would be a "fair" price to buy this. All I know that it was purchased from The Perth Mint, and it is excellent condition. Still in it's own wooden box with a certificate. It comprises 2 gold sovereign coins & a gold & silver bi-metal coin commemorating the Golden Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's accession. Apparently no more than 100 collections were issued. This person has collection no. 052. (Whether than means anything?) I can found out more info - if I need to. For starters - does anyone know anything about this sort of a collection? Any advice/opinion would be greatly appreciated. That way I can make up my mind whether it would be a good investment.

2. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

May I suggest that you click on the 'Report' button at the bottom right of your post, and ask the admins to move it to the "Sovereigns" section of the forum? You'll be more likely to get a response there ;)

3. K1W1AU55IE

K1W1AU55IE New Member

Thank you Whinfell for the tip. Shall do.

4. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

A picture might help, there are several collections put out by the mint.

5. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not everything made at Perth Mint is the Mints own numismatic product.
    This is one of them, probably made for consignment for one of the lage dealer.
    This could be Downies for example.

6. K1W1AU55IE

K1W1AU55IE New Member

Thank you so much for your responses. If possible - I will try and get hold of a picture.

7. K1W1AU55IE

K1W1AU55IE New Member

Managed to get a photo of this Shield Sovereign Collection. However I'm not sure how to attach this photo on this thread though, but I'll have a go anyway.
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/thumbs/14948_shield_sovereign_collection.jpg
    If it comes out - great.... but if it doesn't - sorry, I'll try again later on.... (I'm new to this!)
    Any assistance of how to attach photos to this thread would be much appreciated.

8. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

9. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

You probably want to go a little (lot) bigger on the image size, too.

It could be a set of Proofs, but it's probably a limited addition pairing of coins 'on hand' with a bimetal proof - rather like a set of Monarchs, which will tend to use more common dates. Having said that, it's unusual as far as I know, and should not be so astronomically expensive that it would limit the buyer pool.

I would suggest that you take individual photos of the coins and put them up - there are some impressively capable graders on here who could let you know if they are rarities involved.

If you want to turn it into cash you can ask for price ranges and offers, auction it here, or auction it on eBay with a reserve (costs you fees, of course).

10. K1W1AU55IE

K1W1AU55IE New Member

Thanks to all for your suggestions/advice. I'll try and request for some better photos - since I am considering buying them for an investment.
    BTW - how you you post the pictures with your message? I did uploaded the photo & then tried to paste it on my message... but obviously it didn't work too well. Is there any easier way of doing this? Appreciate any assistance.