NCS CONSERVATION ... HOW CAN YOU TELL IF YOUR COIN HAS BEEN CONSERVED?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by comeaux, Oct 5, 2011.

1. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

I started a new thread because I want start some discussion on what has been a difference of opinion ...

So after some lengthy discussions with NCS/NGC and experience with my own submissions ... here is what I have found out

Ok so to clear up statements made about what the NGC certification number tells you, as I stated earlier, after my 250 NCS conservations along with three of my friends we have collectively submitted almost 1,000 Chinese coins for NCS conservation and NGC grading and 100% of the time out of every single submission, if a coin has been NCS conserved the certification number WILL begin with a number "3".

Every single time you open a world coin submission form on NCS website, the number will ALWAYS start with a number "5" as you can see by just a few of my submissions below which only go back to July. For some reason the NCS website only keeps the last few months available for viewing on their website, although I have NCS submissions back to January.

Now once these coins/submission have been conserved at NCS they will be transferred to NGC for grading and be assigned the final certification number which will be a number "3" if the coin was sent to NGC without being conserved it will be assigned a number "2"

As I have also stated, if you anyone does not believe this, simply go to NCS/NGC right this minute and open a new submission form yourself (it is free) and tell me what numbers you are looking at?

Ok so here below are the initial submissions to NCS that all begin with a "5", now I will upload the remaining information to illustrate how every single one of these NCS submissions were transferred to NGC and assigned a "3" thereafter.

Oh yea and one more little "tidbit" of info crossovers are assigned a "4"

Anyone who has submitted "100's" of coins would easily see the number pattern NCS/NGC is using and what I am saying is true, what are the numbers of opposing opinions, I would be interested to know?
    [​IMG]

And to add to this ... I just got off of the phone with yet another NCS representative who said that my theory is about 90% but not 100%.

Then again every single NCS/NGC person I have talked to says something just a little different so do they (the phone jockeys at NCS) really know their own numbering system ! :D

What I can show you though is facts to substantiate every one of my statements so that you can be the judge of what designates if a coin has been conserved, the numbers do not lie ... :)

Ok so the next post I put up will show you that every one of these NCS Conservation inoices above that begin with a "5" will amazingly transform to a "3" !!! :D

2. comeaux

Ok guys so the first picture in my post above is a list my last 16 submissions to NCS for conservation going back to July 2011. Of course I had probably 50 submissions back to January but as I stated earlier, NCS only enables the last few months to be viewed online. The reasoning behind this post is simply to illustrate how an NGC certification number may give you a clue as to if your coin has been conserved or not which is very important to know.

So the pictures below were a little time consuming but what I did is go to NCS website, open up each of my invoice's (those pictured above #54xxxx) and copied each one into powerpoint so that you can reference the original NCS invoice number ("5xx") and the new NGC invoice number ("3xx") and also I XXX'd out the last few numbers of my submissions for privacy.

So basically what you see is as I have stated the coins are initially submitted to NCS on an invoice that begins with a "5", they are conserved, then they are transferred to NGC which you can also see that each and every single invoice after it was transferred was given a number beginning with a "3" such as "345", "355", etc. Each of these invoices had several coins submitted with each one.

This numbering system occurred on these 16 invoices referenced here, the other 30 or so invoices that I submitted prior to July and the invoices submitted by my associates. Probably over a 1,000 coins in total and 100% of these coins all now have NGC certification numbers that begin with a "3" but originated with a "5"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For those who are not familiar and are wondering why the invoice number is so important?

Here is why

If I submit 30 coins and the invoice number is #3452354
    Then all of the coins in successive order will be labeled with this number as their certification number such as:
    3452354-001
    3452354-002
    3452354-003
    3452354-004
    And 30 coins will continue to be numbered in this manner all the way to 3452354-030.

Ok so finally now you know how the original invoice number is relevant, how the coins are numbered and the reasoning for their succession and most importantly that if your coin certification begins with a "3" then the preponderance of evidence is more likely than not that your coin has been conserved.

As was previously stated "this is not a guarantee" and I agree but I would say that it is likely better than 90% chance after all of the data I have researched and reviewed along with a lot of conversation with NGC/NCS.

I think a 100% occurrence over a 1,000 coins should be fairly conclusive as to the probability but then again protons are not forever, they can die and matter can theoretically disappear before your eyes :D

I will also upload invoices that went straight to NGC without NCS conservation and 100% of those coins have certifications that begin with a "2"

3. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

1000 out of a 1000 is compelling enough to convince me.

4. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the helpful information
    Just looked at all my NGC graded coins very happy to see a 3.

5. Bart

Bart New Member

Thanks a lot mate. That's top info

It looks like you nailed it, but I do like the disclaimer.

I lolled ..

6. comeaux

NGC allows you to go a little further back so I was able to pull up NGC submissions back to April.

I don't have nearly as many direct submissions to NGC any longer as I predominately use NCS and in fact from this point forward I will just spend the $22.50 and get all of my coins conserved/graded/encapsulated. It's worth the $3.5 extra for conservation and scratch resistant holder.

Anyways here are my direct submissions to NGC and they all begin with a "2"

Notice the anomalous invoice beginning with a "4" ?
    That was a crossover whereas I had had two MS 70's that were holdered in crappy "ICG" slabs but NGC only crossed them over to 69's ... :(

[​IMG]

Oh and hey one last little "tidbit" of information the NGC/NCS certification guarantee is very respectable and worth every penny you spend to grade your coins

I recently bought an NGC MS70 grade coin and I did not like it so I sent it to NGC for a free "appearance" review. They agreed with me and refunded me the value of the graded coin without hesitation !!!

As I have said before, there are some coins that I feel should only be purchased if they have already been graded, coins that should be graded once you purchase them raw and then there are coins that probably should never be graded. It is your decision.

I can honestly tell you that graded coins are more marketable when selling across country or across the world, they also carry a higher premium. They are very liquid. I can also vouch for a previous statement saying that 69's are investment grade, they are very much so and are tremendous looking coins. I would even say that to the naked eye even 67's and 68's are fantastic looking. It's only when you view these coins under magnification you may find the very slightest flaw, one so insignificant that it's unbelievable that this flaw would go against the grade but it does.

Regarding NGC they are very good in my opinion and have a detailed eye. I had received some coins after grading that were 67's and 68's so I busted them out of their holder to resubmit as I could find nothing wrong with them. I waited a few months then mixed them in with some other coins I was submitting low and behold all of those resubmitted 67's & 68's came back as they had originally graded 67's and 68's

Another time I picked up four 2008 1 oz Silver Chinese Pandas on Ebay for a great price $50 each !!! When I got them in my hands I realized why they were so cheap they all looked like they had been buried for a few years. I sent them to NCS for conservation and they came back at MS69's looking absolutely stunning !!!

I also have some stories about ebay but that will be for another thread all I can say is be extremely cautious when purchasing raw coins from US Ebay here in the US grading has taken off very rapidly and graded coins are selling for a premium. When sketchy dealers/sellers get a coin that graded low they will bust it out of its holder, stick it in a capsule or "reseal" it and sell it as OMP or "mint fresh" to try and get the best price for a low grade coin. In my embryonic stages of collecting I got teabagged a few times from buying coins such as this from deceitful sellers/dealers so be very careful. If a dealer mainly sells graded coins but has a few inconspicuous "raw" coins for a "good" price the red flags should immediately go up

7. xiki

xiki New Member

Thank you very much for these thorough posts! I feel I'm getting so much education here lately. Very nice! Like Chillidog I went to look at "all" my graded coins, which in my case include 1 panda and 1 kook, at the moment, and was happy to see they started with the number 3.

However, I have 12 slabbed pandas on the way from various auctions on eBay. As it turns out, these also have numbers starting with 3 in their auction pictures, but those might only be stock photos. Now I am extra excited to see them when they come.

So, thanks again for unraveling some of the mysteries surroundig our beloved pandas, comeaux!

8. comeaux

Hey on a side note off topic can you guys here in Australia buy on Ebay US ?

If so I could throw up some links of very reputable sellers on the US Ebay that sell awesome graded pandas at good prices and I'm sure tamo42 could as well.

I'm just curious ...

9. El Bullion

El Bullion New Member Silver Stacker

We can, but unfortunately a lot of US sellers don't ship overseas.

10. xiki

xiki New Member

I'm in Europe, and I buy from US sellers on ebay from time to time. Many ship worldwide, and some of those who don't indicate that they do, might be willing to if you send them a polite message asking if they will ship outside the US.

On a side not to this off topic question, I have noticed that sellers who indicate that they only ship to the US, generally receive lower prices on their auctions.

Anyway, I would love a list of reputable sellers!

11. comeaux

I know I have been mentioning "graded" pandas alot but I still believe if you can get raw pandas from reputable dealers/sellers at good prices, you can do very well getting them graded yourself.

Even if it is not until sometime much later in the future that you do get around to grading them, it's still worth it to accumulate good deals for possible grading later. :)

12. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

There are lots of sellers on US eBay that will ship outside the US.
    So yes please on the reputable sellers list.

13. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Source: Very informative article. I learn a lot. I buy pandas here and eBay (worlwide) only reputable sellers.
    I live in argentina. I like have your reputable eBay sellers list. And i can add a few european (German) and others.
    I make only 3 purchases from us eBay. 2 going direct to my home. And one to my friend in usa and he sent it to me. (i pay more shipping) but the Price is cheap. Im thinking when i going to usa for holidays in a few years take my pandas and grad it.
    But here say dont have the express grading only in coins shows

14. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

The main difficulty I find with some of the US ebay stores is the prices they charge for postage to Australia. Have seen some that charge around $50 for 1 coin! So usually just not worth it at that price.