Name and Shame Petition

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by hem9, May 1, 2013.

1. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

I would like to start a petition to name and shame members who have clearly done the wrong thing. This petition is meant for cases of outright theft or any such excessively negative behavior when it is clear that the members do not respond after a more than reasonable period of time or turn off their trade feedback after receiving a negative. This petition is aimed to protect new and old members alike as it would clearly show the community will not tolerate such behavior.

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

We could always start a new thread: "I want to bitch about memberXXX."

It might even be more popular then the "I want to bitch about the RSC." :lol: :rolleyes:

Edit to add: or I want to bitch about bitcoin :lol:

3. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^ Quality post.

4. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

See, the thing is though, I am someone who place a great deal of emphasis on trading 'the right way'. I'm sure (I hope) most on this forum are the same.

* When buying: I always make payment immediately, and send through confirmation when payment is made. And I let the seller know when I have received the item.
    * When selling: I always communicate promptly and clearly, let the buyer know when I receive payment, and make sure things are packed appropriately. If I don't hear back in a few weeks, I follow up to make sure the buyer received it.

I expect the same of others.

If you have things going on in your life that don't make you a nice person (which means you might do the wrong thing by me in a trade), I DON'T WANT TO TRADE WITH YOU. Sorry. I'll wait it out.

Reputation is everything.

5. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There would need to be some type of moderation to ensure trivial matters don't result in potentially exposing a member's private home address ... etc.

Then there's the possibility of defamation against the poster and the forum owner.

Shouldn't trading feedback provide enough recourse for this?

6. hem9

Not when a member is able to disable the feedback.

7. hem9

Please read the qualification. (bolded)

8. rbaggio

In the long run yes, but I can see immediate situations where it wouldn't help.

e.g. Hypothetical situation: There is something ongoing at the moment, the alleged thief is being unresponsive to the alleged victim, and an admin is stepping in to see what is going on. Alleged victim hasn't left feedback yet because of this. And I am considering a trade with the alleged thief. I'd want to know about it.

9. rbaggio

I agree and always try and trade the same way too, but naming and shaming isn't the right way to sort out the minority who do the wrong thing. Just my opinion.

Yup mine was just an opinion too :)

I think this (formerly?) tight knit community will have more and more of these incidents as precious metals awareness grows, and scammers try to get in on the action.

Maybe it should be just a case of DYOD and good luck.

10. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I used to love Derryn Hinch when he shamed people :lol:

11. goanna

goanna Member Silver Stacker

It's a can of worms but frankly, I'd rather know the lion that owns the mouth I am about to peer into.

That being said, if someone comes good and with good reason, I don't hold the past against them.

There must be some way to flag a dodgy deal without dropping someone into it. Facts speak for themselves, everything else is supposition etc.

12. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

In respect to a 'trade gone wrong', a public lynching would be way out of my value system and fraught with legal issues.

However, there is always the possibility that on the request of one of the parties to the transaction, the 'perpetrator' could have a label attached to their profile by admin (ie where it says "Silver Stacker") denoting "Transaction under investigation".

This would warn off others pretty quickly - or at least request a "show cause" explanation.

If everything is sorted out - the label/text is removed.

If restitution is not forthcoming, then some permanent, non-editable/switchable feedback is needed - better than the current system where someone can simply turn it off. With $1,000s and more $$ changing hands and high-value items moving through a postal network, there needs to be something more robust. I've always bought (never sold anything yet!) based on either trading feedback; watching that person's attitude on the forum over time, or because I've made a personal connection at a stackers meetup (excellent method IMO if you are OK with FTF identification).

And even then, we'd need to know how many times this has happened etc.

I'm sure this is one ginormous headache for GP - it's fine for Ebay to have a feedback system, but you pay for it. Presently there is no fee for trading ... you get what you pay for I guess and "caveat emptor" applies.

From now on, I think I'll restrict myself to buying from Site Sponsors only.

And no to a public naming & shaming, but yes to a more robust and permanent feedback system and a way of identifying members who have a current transaction in dispute.

13. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:(
    Don't blame me :p
    It's in my blood to shoot first & ask questions later :rolleyes:
    :D

14. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

I understand that some turn off their feedback to not expose their dealings and thats ok, but I just simply will not trade with someone with no feedback shown.

Its a very shitty situation to be in and I hope it gets resolved soon with a happy outcome for all parties

if not maybe a ban is in order

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Reminds me of that scene in "The 300" :p :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qR0Uke2XNI[/youtube]

16. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

My 2 coppers worth on this subject.

People need to stand up, and accept responsibility for the outcomes of their own actions. There is far too little of this type of accountability occurring in today's day and age.

You shyster a deal in some way or another, in my opinion, "The tribe has spoken", it's time for you to leave the island.

I mean this quite seriously, if our fellow stackers cannot stand by their good word and their good name, I don't want to deal with them either.

They need to be named, and shamed out of the community.

17. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My 2 coppers worth on this subject.

People need to stand up, and accept responsibility for the outcomes of their own actions. There is far too little of this type of accountability occurring in today's day and age.

You shyster a deal in some way or another, in my opinion, "The tribe has spoken", it's time for you to leave the island.

I mean this quite seriously, if our fellow stackers cannot stand by their good word and their good name, I don't want to deal with them either.

They need to be named, and shamed out of the community.[/quote]
    +1. Glad someone has some balls to say it.
    My sentiments exactly.
    When I was bollocked in a trade, I named and shamed.
    This forum prides itself on integrity, we talk the talk, ..... are we too piss weak to walk the walk.

18. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Just popping in to say I'm following the discussion.

19. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

wouldn't a neg feedback suffice?

And if we did name and shamed member who trade badly/ripping people off...what would stop someone just registering another user name?

20. rbaggio

*waves*