My unique 1988 10 cent piece

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Graeme, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

Many years ago I worked in a large bank and happened to come across this 10 cent piece ... or what should have been a 10 cent piece. I preserved a 10 cent piece from the same mint roll for posterity sake and to show the differences. Apologies for the large pictures but they need to be large to seek the details. The coins are also in a plastic display folder so you get some reflection from that as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is an extremely weak strike with only the deepest parts of the coin receiving an imprint. The blank weighs a fraction more than an ordinary unc 10 cent piece but given the coin hasn't had milling applied to the edges, that probably accounts for the slight difference in weight.

It cost me 20 cents to get these coins from the bank, but I thought it a worthwhile investment. No-one has yet been able to give me a value on how much something like this is worth but to me it is priceless. I've never seen another coin like it and probably never will. Kind of rare in my opinion. :D

Yes .. it's not silver but these coins sit right next to my 1937 and 1938 Crowns and get many a gasp from people looking through my collection.

Graeme

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Wow, misprint eh?

Definitely a keeper. Any 'official' currency misprints are usually sought after by collectors.

Nice score.

3. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Just to clarify, is it 1 coin with both faces weakly struck, or 2 coins with one weak face each?

Good investment for 10c each.

eBay would have a market for it, but i doubt ud be willing to sell it :)

it is a rarity

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Never put that on eBay!

That's numismatic auction material - personally I would pop into a rarities specialty dealer like Jaggards, Downies or Universal and get an appraisal (or several dealers - you will get wildly different estimates), and consider putting it into a catalog auction if you ever decide to dispose of it.

I bet you get an appraisal in the thousands.

5. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

It is one coin with both faces weakly struck. It's almost a blank but definitely recognisable as a 10 cent piece.

Definitely not selling it .... yet. :cool:

6. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I am not sure of actually how valuable it is, Rare yes valuable hmm not sure. I picked up a few Error pre-decimals from a Coin Auction in Perth and one is printed on one side yet a blank on the other etc... Some clipped (Common) and some offset (Common) plus a few other varieties all up was about $45 so I am not sure how much it would go. Yet like any of this material it all depends on the buy and demand if two buyers really want it for their collection then it could go very high.

Either way great find and well done for putting it a side, it is a very, very weak strike, great talking and discussion point as you mentioned.

7. JackCOINgazer

JackCOINgazer New Member

Mistrikes are very valuable and you can expect yours to rise in the hundreds or thousands...i recommenc keeping it (tell me if im wrong i am just a young amature collector)

8. VANGBAC

VANGBAC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Must be as rare as redbacks 20 cent piece lol.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Dont laugh VANDAM it was special to mesob :(