My First Silver Purchase

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Canuck-SLV, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Canuck-SLV

Canuck-SLV New Member

Just finished my first silver purchase and looking for your thoughts. I think I netted about Market Value on the items, possibly slightly below.
    Prices in USD.

(121) Morgan 1 Troy Ounce Bar @ $20.10 + $0.98 Shipping
    (1) 1oz Silver Maple Leaf @ $21.69 + $0.98 Shipping
    (1) 1oz Silver Austrian Philharmonic @ $21.69 + $0.98 Shipping
    (60) Silver Eagles @ $21.89 + $0.98 Shipping

:D

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's a nice stack of 1oz Morgan bars!

Good luck with the single Maple coin. How is it packaged? In a capsule? Watch it over time to see if it develops milk spots.

3. Canuck-SLV

Canuck-SLV New Member

I've been reading up on these milk spots. Figure a coat of mineral oil and an air-tite capsule should keep everything pristine no? Mineral oil even needed? I was looking at the 250 super packs they sell and figure for $200 I can get 250 coins and 250 bars and have capsules ready for a while.

4. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

1---If you bought that stash off Ebay, you should go over it with one of those Precious Metal Verifier units before your right to return it expires.
    2---No oils, capsules or anything else that you can do will prevent milk spots. Those spots are caused by deficient rinsing during the refining process and it'll either happen to individual pieces or it won't. The coins you listed above are common, low-premium bullion and IMO not worth encapsulating but that's your call.

Good luck with your stacking efforts.

5. mike titanic

mike titanic New Member

congrats on starting a nice stack of silver.The bottom line is you need to be comfortable on how you store your stack.I prefer tp stack my ASEs and CMLs in the mint tubes available almost everywhere.I bought 100 h39 capsules,and 100 h40 caps a few years ago and still have most of them.Fat freddy is right when he says that the common ASEs and CMLs are not really capsule worthy.However thats your call.Enjoy your stack,look at it often,and learn as much as you can.BTW even a milk spotted coin is an ounce of silver so while its not pretty,its also not a big deal,unless you buy 100s of them.lol once again,congrats and enjoy.

6. SmartyFarty

SmartyFarty Member

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Very nice first purchase...much larger quantity than my first purchase. Congrats!

Then again, I came into stacking when silver was around USD $35 - $36 /oz so my money purchased considerably less silver than it does today. You've come in at a very good time I believe. It might still drop some but definitely not anywhere as much percentage wise as the drop from $35 to $15 that I've witnessed first hand. Some people got into stacking when silver was flirting with USD $50 / oz.....ouch!!

Two pieces of advice....beware of people (permabulls) who always cry that silver is going to the moon and unless you are buying physical silver with the belief that a SHTF / global currency collapse / end-of-times days are imminent coupled with the belief that silver will be an indispensable commodity during this time, understand that there's smart buying of silver blobs and there is not smart buying....try to be the smart buyer always....

[​IMG]

8. Sonic

Sonic New Member

So where are we now on that graph? It's probably a smart time to buy. Consumer confidence in silver is low, so that's good for us for now. Do you see this graph as something that repeats itself at different levels or a big future event?

Mmissinglink I'm curious since you bought in around $35 and still going strong, do you have a sell point in mind? Going off what you said and your graph there is a smart time to buy but more importantly a smart time to sell. That window will probably not be open for as long.

Like you I no longer look at my silver as doomsday insurance (although it doesn't hurt anything to also look at it as that) but am more interested in the potential numbers. The bottom line % of growth.

9. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

% growth potential???
    Id say easy 300% over the next 20 years.
    Getting in now at this "spot" level you would be hard pressed and EXTREMELY unlucky to lose more 30% in the short term.
    Long term though i honestly believe anything purchased under $25 will see you happy when you come to sell in 15-20-25 years from now.
    This is solely physical of course.
    If you are in paper then a move of just A FEW % CAN SEE YOU MAKE A LOAD OR LOSE A LOAD.

10. Sonic

Sonic New Member

That's something I've learned on here, though not first hand. I don't know how all that works exactly. Am I betting on a set period of time? I don't know anything beyond that I feel current levels are going to look low to future levels, which may be one year, five years, or twenty years from now, I don't know exactly. I'm not taking about the typical roller coaster movements one day to the next, I wouldn't short sell silver like that. But eventually I'm going to part with my stack, so the most important thing, when the time comes, is the bottom line I would think.

11. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Thats a good first purchase, my was 20x 1oz Apmex Bars from Apmex on Ebay at 22.00 USD Free Shipping...seemed like a deal at the time!

12. off4shore

off4shore New Member

Not a bad deal, welcome to the club! Keep an eye out for shipping, usually when I click off the screen at checkout. I have been seeing some very aggressive prices lately, even on ebay there were some deals at or around spot a few weeks ago. Hope it continues!

13. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

why is Anzac Gold posting the same one line shite on thread after thread ?

Sitting at home pissed with nothing to do or did the account get hacked ?